Senate Proposal #1001

Discussion of in-game politics. Please post "In character" in here, IE as in your game persona or character. This is not for discussion ABOUT the game or about politics in the game, but actual political debate.
User

Hubes

Rank

Commander

Commander

Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:50 am

Senate Proposal #1001

Postby Hubes » Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:24 am

I, Senator Hubes, do hereby make the following proposal of a formal set of procedures for the Colonial Senate to use in it's deliberations and decisions going forward.

Hubes wrote:Section 1

The Colonial Senate is the organization of Senators for the purpose of discussion and direction. The Senate will vote on matters as they are brought before it. For a topic to be brought before the Senate for a vote, a Senator must first propose the topic or debate. Once proposed, a different Senator must then second the motion before it can finally be brought before the Senate as a whole for a vote. For clarity's sake, a different Senator must second the motion...one single Senator holding multiple Senate seats can not second his or her own proposal.

There is no time limit on a proposal...it may sit until withdrawn or seconded. Once seconded it will still need to be presented to the Senate for the Senate to vote on.

Once a proposal comes before the Senate for a vote...the Senate will have one full 7 day week to vote on the measure. At the close of a week a majority vote will pass the measure.

In all proposals the President holds a veto power...but the Senate can overturn the veto with a 2/3rds vote.

This establishes a basic structure for the Senate to operate. The Senate may make changes to this system as it sees fit.

Hubes wrote:Section 2

Only Senators have a vote in the Senate. Governors, Mayors, non-office holders, and even the President will not be allowed to vote in Senate hearings unless they happen to hold Senator-ship. To allow for balance, there will be three Senate seat levels. The levels and their minimum requirements are as follows:

Remote System

A Remote System will have at least one colony or OSB and grant 1 vote.

Emerging System

An Emerging System will have at least five separate inhabitant owned colonies and/or OSBs and grant 3 votes.

Established System

An Established System is the highest system status and will require at least 15 separate inhabitant owned colonies and/or OSBs and will grant 6 votes.

Status above a Remote System must be approved by the Senate. Changing a system's status requires the same steps as any other proposal and requires a simple majority vote.

Hubes wrote:Section 3

The following have been added as safety protocols to protect the Senate from abuse or forceful control.

1) The maximum votes a Senator may wield for a Senate vote is 20. If a Senator represents more vote weight then 20 it may be considered during the Senate's open sessions and deliberations...but can not be applied to Senate votes. As an example, if a Senator represents 5 Established systems, he/she may mention this when debating with other Senators, but when votes are tallied his/hers will count for 20...not 30.

2) No Senator may carry a vote alone...no matter how high a majority their vote weight. That means that if the Senate comes to vote and only 1 Senator votes...or one wielding 20 votes and the other 1 vote opposing...the motion will not pass. There must be at least 2 different Senators backing a motion for it to pass.

3) The Election Results page lists publicly listed systems and their Senators. This list will be used to verify Senator's status. By-election voted Senators may declare themselves and be included in Senate votes provided they are declared -before- a vote is initiated. They may not declare themselves and vote while a vote is already underway. A list of all declared Senators will be available for all to see in the wiki.

4) The Senate reserves the right to deny the upgrading of a system due to an unethical attempt to inflate a system's inhabitants...an example being the Senate's discovery of a Senator or 3rd party founding multiple colonies and abandoning them.

These are the groundwork basics of how the Senate will function. The Senate will perpetually review itself and make adjustments to allow for the greatest voice for all seeking to be represented.

Should this proposal be seconded I will present it to the Senate to be voted on by all available Senators at one vote per Senator.

I thank you all for your time, and call for the success and prosperity of the Senate and all those the Senate strives to represent.
Founder of the Trade Guild

Two Term Colonial President

Owner of Planet Martine

Senator of Haven, Aptic, Hyde, Boraash, Raxia, Nexus, Nespia, and Altia systems
User

gotpurplefleas

Rank

Commander

Commander

Wed May 13, 2015 6:21 pm

Re: Senate Proposal #1001

Postby gotpurplefleas » Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:32 am

I Senator gotpurplefleas do hereby second the motion to vote on this proposal
gotpurplefleas
Senator of Food Court
User

Hubes

Rank

Commander

Commander

Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:50 am

Postby Hubes » Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:35 am

Thank you Senator fleas, I hereby open this motion to the Senate for vote.

To vote, simply state one system you represent and whether you wish it to pass...or do not. Affirmative is to pass, negative to not pass.

I Hubes, Senator of Aptic, vote aye for proposal #1001
Founder of the Trade Guild

Two Term Colonial President

Owner of Planet Martine

Senator of Haven, Aptic, Hyde, Boraash, Raxia, Nexus, Nespia, and Altia systems
User

gotpurplefleas

Rank

Commander

Commander

Wed May 13, 2015 6:21 pm

Postby gotpurplefleas » Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:46 am

I, gotpurplefleas, senator of The Food Court, do hereby vote

yes

to Senate Proposal #1001
gotpurplefleas
Senator of Food Court
no avatar
User

flash0788

Rank

2nd Lieutenant

2nd Lieutenant

Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:01 pm

Postby flash0788 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:53 am

I vote aye for Johneaux-242 for proposal 1001.

quote="Hubes"]Thank you Senator fleas, I hereby open this motion to the Senate for vote.

To vote, simply state one system you represent and whether you wish it to pass...or do not. Affirmative is to pass, negative to not pass.

I Hubes, Senator of Aptic, vote aye for proposal #1001[/quote]
User

Mooncrest

Rank

Commodore

Commodore

Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:19 pm

MITH Menzel 3

Postby Mooncrest » Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:16 am

I, Senator Mooncrest, representing the citizens of Elfydd do declare my vote aye on Senate Proposal #1001.
Blake Mooncrest
Proprietor, Mooncrest Industries

Senator for Elfydd, Newydd Cymru, Otturet, Ceredigion and Llandysul
Mayor of all MI Facilities in the Miners Paradise system.
User

rmartz

Rank

Rear Admiral

Rear Admiral

Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:37 pm

Postby rmartz » Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:05 am

Senator of Beulah votes yes.
Ingame accounts: RAM, rmartz
Check out RAM Memories.
Visit AscentExtras.com for player built game tools, guilds, and links to game related data.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
no avatar
User

AgentFoxtrot

Rank

Ensign

Ensign

Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:53 am

I live on my own ship!

Postby AgentFoxtrot » Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:15 am

Senator of Mersenne Prime votes yes.
no avatar
User

Seeker5

Rank

Lieutenant

Lieutenant

Wed May 28, 2014 8:40 pm

Postby Seeker5 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:23 am

Senator of Prism votes yes.
no avatar
User

shathiell

Rank

Lt Commander

Lt Commander

Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:03 am

Postby shathiell » Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:06 am

Shathiell, Senator for Charley, votes yes to this proposal.

There seems to be sufficient measures in place to ensure no one Senator (or any Guild they may represent) are able to hold a large balance of power.
Next