Suggestions for current era Name

Discussion of in-game politics. Please post "In character" in here, IE as in your game persona or character. This is not for discussion ABOUT the game or about politics in the game, but actual political debate.
User

gotpurplefleas

Rank

Lt Commander

Lt Commander

Wed May 13, 2015 6:21 pm

Suggestions for current era Name

Postby gotpurplefleas » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:19 am

Hi all...o/,
We would like to help develop a clock that would run in-game time as a third party app that would help to enhance gameplay for all that use it. As a precursor to that we need to set a 0 hour/day/year at the appropriate time, and it occurred to me that we have no name for such a time and date.

It has been suggested to me that since we do not know actual dates and times during any previous time, that we begin at the time of game inception...or thereabout. Ascent has been developed to run on an 8 days : 1 day ratio, so time is easily figured from that date, which as nearly as I can tell so far, is May 1st, 2013. If anyone has a more accurate start date please let me know so that we may adjust.

With all that in mind, I hereby call on all to post your suggestions here, regarding what to name our current era (which as close as we can tell began 32 years ago...game time). We could also use names for the time between the gate destruction and the current era...as we will most likely make reference to it frequently. Last, we would like to name the era preceding that as well...going all the way back to the decay of Earth. It may not be mentioned a lot, but there may be historical references made in the future.

We will leave this post up for 5 days (real time) and on Monday the 24th of April 2017 we will collect all suggestions and start another thread to poll the playerbase for votes concerning the best name.

Thnx all for the help
fleas
gotpurplefleas
Senator of Food Court
no avatar
User

klcs77

Rank

2nd Lieutenant

2nd Lieutenant

Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:08 pm

Re: Suggestions for current era Name

Postby klcs77 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:28 am

I would like to of the pregame era and BJ (before Jam) and split the in game era in to two WJ ( with JAM ) and AJ ( After JAM)

klcs77
User

Greydog

Rank

Ensign

Ensign

Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:14 pm

Postby Greydog » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:43 am

I suggest:

- Before Collapse (BC) Defined as prehistory leading up tp the day the old government finally collapsed.
- Dark Era (DE) or The Stagnation (ie ...the 1056th year of the Stagnation) Defined by the time of war and destruction that followed the collapse.
- Second Age of Acsention (SA or SAA) Current era beginning the day true space travel again became a reality.
I plan on living forever ...so far so good!
User

Rhavenwing

Rank

Ensign

Ensign

Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:43 pm

Postby Rhavenwing » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:23 pm

Galactic Descent-GD
Galactic Ascension-GA
The 11,000Hz ringing in my ears is competing with the voices in my head!!
User

Mooncrest

Rank

Commodore

Commodore

Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:19 pm

MIB Tyngbraneth, Miner's Paradise

Postby Mooncrest » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:41 pm

BF = Before the Fall fr the era prior to the collapse of the Galactic Government.

HT = the Hard Times covering of the period of The Fall

ER = the new Era of Reclamation when we began to reclaim the stellar systems and recolonise them
User

LadyHawk

Rank

Lieutenant

Lieutenant

Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:25 pm

Postby LadyHawk » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:13 pm

Great idea, Fleas, and I like ALL the suggestions so far!

If I have to vote, I would be torn between Rhaven's and Moon's suggestions. Kcls and Grey, your's are great too,
just a bit more complicated for the new or casual player to grasp.

I was taught, whenever possible, to stick to the 'KISS' methodology..."Keep it simple, Stupid" :lol:
User

Moneyman

Rank

Commander

Commander

Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:53 pm

Massachusetts

Postby Moneyman » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:57 pm

LadyHawk wrote:Great idea, Fleas, and I like ALL the suggestions so far!

If I have to vote, I would be torn between Rhaven's and Moon's suggestions. Kcls and Grey, your's are great too,
just a bit more complicated for the new or casual player to grasp.

I was taught, whenever possible, to stick to the 'KISS' methodology..."Keep it simple, Stupid" :lol:

:mrgreen: Ditto on KISS (the philosophy), LH, though the rock band's colors take a little getting used to :)
User

delfromanc

Rank

Ensign

Ensign

Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:13 pm

Georgia, USA

Postby delfromanc » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:23 pm

I haven't come up with anything for the before fall and current times yet but I can't get the following name for the bad times when all we lost earth and communications with all the rest of the Galaxy. How about:

The Silence.

Delf Romanc
Romanc Mining Company
======================
M*&@#!$*
Just Keep Pounding away.
User

Moneyman

Rank

Commander

Commander

Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:53 pm

Massachusetts

Postby Moneyman » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:26 pm

delfromanc wrote:I haven't come up with anything for the before fall and current times yet but I can't get the following name for the bad times when all we lost earth and communications with all the rest of the Galaxy. How about:

The Silence.

Delf Romanc

:mrgreen: Actually, a lot of that from players who only play (ex: Wulf) but have little to say. :)