Ascent Sector Council

Discussion of in-game politics. Please post "In character" in here, IE as in your game persona or character. This is not for discussion ABOUT the game or about politics in the game, but actual political debate.
no avatar
User

RAM

Rank

Commander

Commander

Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:36 am

Re: Ascent Sector Council

Postby RAM » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:27 pm

Mooncrest wrote:One beneficial side-effect would be to encourage the occupants of multi-occupancy systems to stand for the Senatorial position at election time. At present most of these Senatorial positions are not contested.

Another is that Senators who are reluctant to disclose their Senatorial position are not put under pressure to do so.

I will stress, again, that the extra vote given to these Senators must reflect the communal feeling of the system and not be the Senator's own point of view. In this way, even fledgling Pilot Citizens who have not yet ventured out into the Void, but have started a colony in an occupied system will be get an additional chance to voice their opinion.

Maybe I should better express my thoughts of the ASC. While the Senate is not active presently, it could be and run along side of the ASC. The ASC is an advisory body, not a regulatory body. It will carry a lot of weight, but is more geared towards presenting a total PC consensus to the UNCA. "Out of approx X active PC, X-3 is requesting Blah Blah." This communicates to the UNCA that the majority are wanting the request. If the request is "Approx. 51% of the active PC support Blah Blah," the UNCA Can see that this is a contested issue and may require more thought and consideration.

My concern would be presenting a poll to the UNCA that says, "We have 10 active PC and we voted 100 to 2 for Blah Blah." This would make it much more confusing, I fear. The UNCA does not understand the voting weights we structure. Communicating in clearer, more understandable ways, I think will be more benefit.

I would love to see an active Senate reengage. I know the struggles and know the fight for one who might try to oversee that. I would support one who would reactivate the Senate, but know I have enough on my plate and do not have the patience to work through the process.

I hope I have explained things a little better. I often have things in my head, but find it challenging to express them in common tongue. We rAMISH speak different languages as children and it can often complicate our ability to communicate complicated things. Fortunately, we seldom think of complicated things.
Ban cheese slicers. Make Apollo Sector grate again!
Fan Fiction from an old timer - RAM Memories
User

Hubes

Rank

Commander

Commander

Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:50 am

Postby Hubes » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:11 pm

RAM wrote:I would love to see an active Senate reengage. I know the struggles and know the fight for one who might try to oversee that. I would support one who would reactivate the Senate, but know I have enough on my plate and do not have the patience to work through the process.

Splitting the ASC and the Senate into two separate entities might be a very good solution to the issues the Senate faced.

I might be able to revive the Senate, but will wait to let you form the ASC first.

From what I see the ASC would be for information gathering and communicating with the UNCA, while the Senate would be mostly for self-governance and dealings among ourselves? Is this a somewhat accurate observation?
Founder of the Trade Guild

Two Term Colonial President

Owner of Planet Martine

Senator of Haven, Aptic, Hyde, Boraash, Raxia, Nexus, Nespia, and Altia systems
no avatar
User

RAM

Rank

Commander

Commander

Postby RAM » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:53 pm

Hubes wrote:Splitting the ASC and the Senate into two separate entities might be a very good solution to the issues the Senate faced.

I might be able to revive the Senate, but will wait to let you form the ASC first.

From what I see the ASC would be for information gathering and communicating with the UNCA, while the Senate would be mostly for self-governance and dealings among ourselves? Is this a somewhat accurate observation?

Yes, I think that is a good generalization.

I would love to see the Senate working and will support it in any way I could.

I think there would be some overlap, but easy to navigate between the two.
User

BoshingTong

Rank

Commander

Commander

Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:46 am

South Korea

Postby BoshingTong » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:32 pm

This then poses the question, what is the Senates mandate?
Owner of BSFA (Bosh Survey & Freightage Authority)
Senator of Logopolis, New Dawn, Babylon
Governor of Poosh, Tigland, Prime Sun, Babel

Mayor of all BSFA Colonies & OSBs
User

Moneyman

Rank

Captain

Captain

Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:53 pm

Massachusetts

Postby Moneyman » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:11 pm

BoshingTong wrote:This then poses the question, what is the Senates mandate?

:mrgreen: ASC come up with the ideas and the Senate sift thru them? Its what executive do.
User

Mooncrest

Rank

Commodore

Commodore

Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:19 pm

MIB Tyngbraneth, Miner's Paradise

Postby Mooncrest » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:36 pm

RAM wrote:
Mooncrest wrote:One beneficial side-effect would be to encourage the occupants of multi-occupancy systems to stand for the Senatorial position at election time. At present most of these Senatorial positions are not contested.

Another is that Senators who are reluctant to disclose their Senatorial position are not put under pressure to do so.

I will stress, again, that the extra vote given to these Senators must reflect the communal feeling of the system and not be the Senator's own point of view. In this way, even fledgling Pilot Citizens who have not yet ventured out into the Void, but have started a colony in an occupied system will be get an additional chance to voice their opinion.

Maybe I should better express my thoughts of the ASC. While the Senate is not active presently, it could be and run along side of the ASC. The ASC is an advisory body, not a regulatory body. It will carry a lot of weight, but is more geared towards presenting a total PC consensus to the UNCA. "Out of approx X active PC, X-3 is requesting Blah Blah." This communicates to the UNCA that the majority are wanting the request. If the request is "Approx. 51% of the active PC support Blah Blah," the UNCA Can see that this is a contested issue and may require more thought and consideration.
I understand that the ASC is an Advisory Body for the President to consult on topics of interest to the community; which he can then relay to the UNCA. How the result of a poll is presented is entirely up to the President. Why you are bringing up the Senate is a mystery to me. Your initial post mentioned Senators, not the Senate, and I never mentioned the Senate, either.

My concern would be presenting a poll to the UNCA that says, "We have 10 active PC and we voted 100 to 2 for Blah Blah." This would make it much more confusing, I fear. The UNCA does not understand the voting weights we structure. Communicating in clearer, more understandable ways, I think will be more benefit.
As I mentioned above, how the poll result id presented to the UNCA is in the hands of the President. Your suggestion to give some Pilot Citizens more than one vote would, I agree, make the above example of presentation confusing. However, it was your suggestion that Pilot Citizens would be allowed more than one vote, not mine. I only wish to reduce the number of Pilot Citizens are allowed more than one vote. I am perfectly agreeable to each Pilot Citizen having only one vote: it would make the poll much simpler and easier to administer.

At this point you seem to be arguing against yourself.

I would love to see an active Senate reengage. I know the struggles and know the fight for one who might try to oversee that. I would support one who would reactivate the Senate, but know I have enough on my plate and do not have the patience to work through the process.
I am not really bothered whether we reactivate the Senate, or set up the ASC, or do both, or do neither. I am concerned about getting the voice of consensus of the community over to the UNCA in a fashion that is clear and unambiguous, in the hope that the UNCA will take action on these topics.

I hope that I have made my position clear. I can sometimes go around the houses or miss out certain specifics of my argument. In essence:

I really do not care how the poll is weighted, if at all. I do care that the poll result reflects the overall view of the community on the topic under discussion and that that view is presented in a form that will, hopefully, persuade the UNCA to take action on that topic.
Blake Mooncrest
Proprietor, Mooncrest Industries

Senator for Elfydd, Newydd Cymru, Otturet, Ceredigion, Llandysul and Llanrhystyd also for MrPC-16 and moper-10.
Mayor of all MI Facilities in the Miners Paradise system.
no avatar
User

RAM

Rank

Commander

Commander

Postby RAM » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:21 pm

Mooncrest wrote:I am perfectly agreeable to each Pilot Citizen having only one vote: it would make the poll much simpler and easier to administer.

I was adding in an extra vote out of respect for those who have invested a lot into the sector. Maybe it is not needed. Maybe it really is not needed. I would rather not have it, but felt it might be off-putting to those Senators that have worked hard to build the Sector since the collapse.

Mooncrest wrote:How the result of a poll is presented is entirely up to the President.

I want to be very transparent. What good is a poll that is only bent to my wants? I also do not want to bring any shadow of doubt to what I present to the UNCA.

This is why I am asking for advise in setting up the ASC.

So our first informal poll may be:

Do we weight the poll counts with an additional vote from Senators?

• Yes
  • No
User

LadyHawk

Rank

Lieutenant

Lieutenant

Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:25 pm

Postby LadyHawk » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:29 pm

Poll response to most recently proposed question...do we add an extra vote to the ASC vote for a Senator, willing to express their views on the forum...yes, on behalf of LadyHawk, Senator of Sanctuary and Harmony (which are both uncontested seats). I will, however, graciously concede loss of that extra vote if it becomes the clear that the majority here support only Senator seats which have been contested by other colonies in the system.

And, I'm trying...really I am...to remain formal and in character as a proper Senator for role play purposes here...but this is not fun IMHO :P
User

BoshingTong

Rank

Commander

Commander

Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:46 am

South Korea

Postby BoshingTong » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:07 am

The ASC can go either way. I am interested in what the point of the Senate will be. The UNSC setup a President and a Senate. As a Senate elected to sit for 3 systems, I feel I have a duty to represent those people. I have tried to do this for a long time. Thus the question to the new president what is the Senates job. This is a formal and long stand post of elected PCs. This new ACS is not part of the government but to aid the president. So clarity would be nice.
Owner of BSFA (Bosh Survey & Freightage Authority)
Senator of Logopolis, New Dawn, Babylon
Governor of Poosh, Tigland, Prime Sun, Babel

Mayor of all BSFA Colonies & OSBs
User

gotpurplefleas

Rank

Lt Commander

Lt Commander

Wed May 13, 2015 6:21 pm

Postby gotpurplefleas » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:39 pm

[
Last edited by gotpurplefleas on Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gotpurplefleas
Senator of Food Court
PreviousNext