Setting Prices

Discussion of in-game politics. Please post "In character" in here, IE as in your game persona or character. This is not for discussion ABOUT the game or about politics in the game, but actual political debate.
User

Mooncrest

Rank

Commodore

Commodore

Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:19 pm

MIB Tyngbraneth, Miner's Paradise

Setting Prices

Postby Mooncrest » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:22 pm

LadyHawk wrote:I also suggested we look into other things that might help smooth the way for new players. In the past, we have had some controversy over price setting for ships...which on the surface doesn't look good but has been suggested as a way to avoid blocking the path for new ship builders from entering the field and not having to compete with players who have been building ships for years and have all the resources and systems already set up.

To open the discussion on this topic, I would like to point out that most of the raw materials and the T2 products have already been assigned a base price that is reflected in the prices paid by the Local Markets for these goods. Since most of these commodities are not available from the Local Markets, the price offered to sell these products for at PC Stock Markets must be less than this base price, if the Seller wishes to encourage PCs to buy them there. Also, the price offered to buy these products for at PC Stock Markets must be higher than those offered at Local Markets if the Buyer wishes to encourage PCs to sell them there.

This basically leaves ship modules and ships themselves. To calculate the price of these products for my business, Mooncrest Industries, I have, so far not taken into account the cost of the blueprints and Infrastructure. I now realise that this may mean that my prices are so low that they discourage PCs from starting up in the Shipbuilding Industry. There is not enough return to compensate for the cost of the blueprints that are needed, nor the investment in construction of the necessary infrastructure

With this in mind I am currently revising my prices. The big decision I will need to make is: how many ships should be sold to recover the price of the Blueprint? I have an idea that 20 would be a reasonable number, but I am open to suggestions. As far as infrastructure is concened, I can cost my own OSBs that just manufacture Ship modules and use the same number of ships to calculate the amount that should be added to the cost of manufacture per ship per class.

Having said all that, I am open to considering other suggestions.
Blake Mooncrest
Proprietor, Mooncrest Industries

Senator for Elfydd, Newydd Cymru, Otturet, Ceredigion, Llandysul and Llanrhystyd also for MrPC-16 and moper-10.
Mayor of all MI Facilities in the Miners Paradise system.
User

Loke

Rank

Lt Commander

Lt Commander

Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:39 pm

Re: Setting Prices

Postby Loke » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:48 pm

When I was still making and selling ships and modules I wanted at least 50% of the nio and tin value to pay for everything else. That including BPs (reasearched or bougth), time spent to make it, SY, cheap materiels etc.
Simply making the total price 150% of nio and tin cost. 200% back when we only had one SY per player at ISB. Modules not needing nio or tin I just priced at the amount I felt I needed to make it worth the time I put into them, like 400m for a cl 17 PQ.

After mining I knew I could get better value off my nio an tin if I made ships and modules of it. These days I am just lazy and dump what I mine and dont need into Nio Tin Market.

I also think that modules and ships put up on GM can be priced higher than those that are made per order. As the buyer dont have to wait, while the seller dont know when it will be sold. But then you are risking that others claim the GM seller is trying to cheat the buyers, as prices stated on the forum for order is lower.

Thats just my experience and what was needed to make it interesting to be a seller for me.
Callsign: Fraaggii or Loke
Senator Loke of Primo Spe, 8086, New Horizon, Skadi, Darkfield and Niu Heimar

Statistics for Nio and Tin prices: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3427
User

Mooncrest

Rank

Commodore

Commodore

Postby Mooncrest » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:09 pm

Thanks for the response, Loke.

I will bear this in mind when re-evaluating my prices.
Blake Mooncrest

Senator for Elfydd, Newydd Cymru, Otturet, Ceredigion, Llandysul and Llanrhystyd also for MrPC-16 and moper-10.
User

Moneyman

Rank

Captain

Captain

Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:53 pm

Massachusetts

Postby Moneyman » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:58 pm

:mrgreen: Dare I say the real issue not mentioned by Moon & Loke?

Sorry, bottom-line, player population size is way too small. We know why. :)
User

Mooncrest

Rank

Commodore

Commodore

Postby Mooncrest » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:21 pm

I realise that the current number of active PCs probably does not justify more than one dedicated shipbuilder, but I think we must prepare for a boost in PC numbers and surely there is a closet crafter out there who would like to become the second best shipbuilder in the Galaxy. :mrgreen:
Blake Mooncrest

User

davh62

Rank

Commodore

Commodore

Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:40 pm

UK

Postby davh62 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:46 pm

Mooncrest wrote:I realise that the current number of active PCs probably does not justify more than one dedicated shipbuilder, but I think we must prepare for a boost in PC numbers and surely there is a closet crafter out there who would like to become the second best shipbuilder in the Galaxy. :mrgreen:

You could use that spreadsheet I sent you to figure costs out moon. But where to pitch an average T/N price is tricky. I guess you could cost it on your own sm buy price or it could be dynamic depending on what price you buy exotics at, at the time.
FG Fighters Guild Founder
Senator of Ferrite-Senator of Prime-Senator of Barons Rest- Hater of rams speaking date stamp
User

Mooncrest

Rank

Commodore

Commodore

Postby Mooncrest » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:18 pm

Thanks davh. I am using your spreadsheet, but, as you say the problems are where to pitch the n/t price and how much to add for investment cost recuperation.

From my standpoint I have recovered all my initial outlay, so I am happy with a 30% margin. on cost. If someone else wishes to come up with prices for modules and ships that they wish to charge, I will not be averse to matching them.
Last edited by Mooncrest on Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User

Moneyman

Rank

Captain

Captain

Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:53 pm

Massachusetts

Postby Moneyman » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:30 pm

Mooncrest wrote:I realise that the current number of active PCs probably does not justify more than one dedicated shipbuilder, but I think we must prepare for a boost in PC numbers and surely there is a closet crafter out there who would like to become the second best shipbuilder in the Galaxy. :mrgreen:

:mrgreen: Currently moving from 3 to 4 SYs building gate mods ... ISB handling everything else.

I can, should the need arise, switch back to discount (90% of Moon's price) volume ship building.

The following inventory: http://forum.thespacegame.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3295&p=29408#p29408

... is meant for Moon and any PC willing to support (same prices) Moon in his shipbuilding efforts.

The following is my bps inventory: http://forum.thespacegame.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3295&p=29409#p29409

It would be nice to have a steady stream of new players.