Gate to Sol Invictus

Discussion of in-game politics. Please post "In character" in here, IE as in your game persona or character. This is not for discussion ABOUT the game or about politics in the game, but actual political debate.
no avatar
User

RAM

Rank

Captain

Captain

Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:36 am

Gate to Sol Invictus

Postby RAM » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:30 am

I would like to see us develop a new hub gated to Sol Invictus. I verified with the UNCA and they will approve a gate connecting a new hub to Sol I.

We have no hubs in the -y direction. That is basically down from the Inner9. I think this would be a good direction, but I have been searching for a while and have not found anything really good in that direction.

I think we could make this hub much further out from our usual hubs, so this would increase the area we could search for another good hub system. Here is what I would recommend:

Little or no carbon (Sol I produces carbon thus does not buy it at the Local market.)
3 to 4 food types. Sol I will buy all food types.
Something easy to terraform. 1-2G and balance mixed atmo.
30-50 LY from Sol I. COuld be further, but I suspect we would want to gate it to the other hubs and make a ring around the Inner9. No need going way out and making it a lonely hub unless there is some spectacular planet out there.

So here is my request. Some of us start scouting in the -y direction 3-5 or so sectors from the Inner9. After about a month of search, find the best system we have found and decide of we want to make that the hub or keep searching. If we find something that looks good, then we can start colonizing and preparing for a new gate to the Inner9.

Here are some of the -y systems, but they are also -x, so if we stay in a more +x direction, we will be in a more virgin area.

rhaven has a cluster gated to TC1 that is pretty far out, but could be gated to the new hub.

So something a little closer in I think. I think we could easily start connecting and find some new systems in that direction that would strengthen Apollo Sector even more.

Feel free to add your thoughts and comments. Maybe there is a direction I am totally missing. Fleas 3D charts would be able to visualize that for us much better. So not locked into what I am proposing, but using it as a starting point to develop a new hub gated to the Inner9.
"The UNCA is not your boss!" ~ Jessica Steele
Fan Fiction from an old timer - RAM Memories
User

Loke

Rank

Lt Commander

Lt Commander

Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:39 pm

Re: Gate to Sol Invictus

Postby Loke » Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:41 pm

So what is the purpose of this new hub? Why should people settle there and what should they build?
I like the idea of expanding with a new hub that can be terraformed at some point, but it needs to add something that we are currently missing. Otherwise I fear it will just be another almost empty system. It will also be easier and more motivating to search for good planets if we know what to look for and have a goal.

As a trader of most things I see a need for more production of T2. OSBs can be placed anywhere, so no requirements for that kind of production. Beer, wine and cigars does need grain, fruit and tobacco, so maybe those could be of interest? There is plenty of all 3 raw materiels for sale, but there could be some benefit of having a local source I guess.

Meat could also be nice to have possible to produce, as there is not as much meat on the market as the other food types. Vegetables I dont see a need for, plenty for sale and not a raw mat for T2.

This project will have my support if it leads to more T2 production and the produced T2 gets sold for a low enough price its worth hauling to LM (20 for beer, 41 for wine and 140 for cigars). Or would it be possible to pressure UNCA to increase LM price for T2 at the same time as they approve the gate from Sol I?

/Senator Loke
Callsign: Fraaggii or Loke
Senator Loke of Primo Spe, 8086, New Horizon, Skadi, Darkfield and Niu Heimar

Statistics for Nio and Tin prices: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3427
no avatar
User

RAM

Rank

Captain

Captain

Postby RAM » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:25 pm

There is a hole int he area we are searching of gates and systems. Sol I is pretty much a dead end in the innr(. Gating it would allow us to complete the circle and allow for easier trade. Finding a planet with 3-4 food types would be very helpful, if it can be terraformed. Prime would be very hard to terraform, so if we found something close to Prime's production and a TF candidate, this would make it a strong system and one that would work great for another hub, since many that would eventually be gated would need food. If we could terrafom a food world, that would make it really easy to produce good quanities. With it gated back to Sol I, the market would buy any excess.

The general direction I think we need to search is +3 to +5x,-3 to -5y. Z is pretty flexible, but +- 5 would be my first hope.

Mooncrest suggested creating a Google Doc we could share to lay out sectors and people sign up for searching the sectors. I think this is a good idea.

My schedule just got really full and I will have little time for the next week or so. Moon, if you want to create it, great, if not, I will work on something as I get time.
User

Mooncrest

Rank

Commodore

Commodore

Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:19 pm

MITH Menzel 3

Postby Mooncrest » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:06 pm

RAM wrote:The general direction I think we need to search is +3 to +5x,-3 to -5y. Z is pretty flexible, but +- 5 would be my first hope.

Mooncrest suggested creating a Google Doc we could share to lay out sectors and people sign up for searching the sectors. I think this is a good idea.

My schedule just got really full and I will have little time for the next week or so. Moon, if you want to create it, great, if not, I will work on something as I get time.

Given the data above I will set up a Google Sheets spreadsheet for this project. When finished, I will post the share link here and, perhaps, that could be copied to the Ascent Extras website as well.

Each system each sector needs to be surveyed. That means every Rocky Planet and Moon needs to have a Soil Sample taken and recorded as well as atmosphere and ocean, where appropriate.

This includes systems that have been named by other players.

Each system seems to be indexed; the index number is in brackets after the System Name:
This system has index number 7

Unfortunately we cannot determine exactly how many systems there are in a Sector until we think we have surveyed them all.

Hopefully we can avoid duplication effort, if explorers fill in their callsign when they begin surveying a system.

I will put some instructions on the Google Sheet regarding how to use it.
User

Loke

Rank

Lt Commander

Lt Commander

Postby Loke » Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:51 pm

RAM wrote:There is a hole

So, anyone wants to settle in the hole? It will be gated to a dead end. :lol:
There is 100 gated systems, if we cant find a purpose I fear this will be a empty system, except for the the initial settlement to vote for a senator that can approve a gate. If no one else wants to build there after gate is done, I dont see the point unfortunately.

RAM wrote:Finding a planet with 3-4 food types would be very helpful, if it can be terraformed.

I really wish this was truie, that we actually needed more food. But when when you see how much food is sold for 1 credit per ton (Bozack alone is selling 50 million tons), it makes no sense building any farms, cause it cant be done without loosing money compared to just buying the food.

Ill join this project and support it as much as I can if we can find a purpose for the new system. I will also gate it to Njord if there will be sold items I buy there.

no avatar
User

RAM

Rank

Captain

Captain

Postby RAM » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:32 pm

I suspect we need a community project more than another system, but both can work in conjunction. This is more for future development. A Hub that is terraformed works well and Runt is pretty full.
User

Loke

Rank

Lt Commander

Lt Commander

Postby Loke » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:04 pm

RAM wrote:I suspect we need a community project more than another system, but both can work in conjunction..

Yes, thats what I was hoping for. Only thing I can think of, as I mentioned before, is make it worth building colony T2 production, then we would get colonies needing a lot of food, like up to a million tons per day. Which creates a need for more food and tobacco, which again makes a purpose of a new terraformed planet with at least grain, fruit and tobacco. Would need a big increase in LM price or something for T2.

Anyone else got a idea?
Or lets ask the question a bit different: If you are a newer player, or imagine you are, what would make you plan your next colony/OSB in this system? How can a system or planet be made more atteractive to new settlers?

/Loke

no avatar
User

Cevanne

Rank

Space Cadet

Space Cadet

Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:53 am

Postby Cevanne » Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:03 am

Loke wrote:Or lets ask the question a bit different: If you are a newer player, or imagine you are, what would make you plan your next colony/OSB in this system? How can a system or planet be made more atteractive to new settlers?
/Loke

As a newer player (play this game for 3 months) I did do a few 100's of soil samples to find a world where the 4 foods would grow and did not really found a good world so I made a colony on Provision now.
So for me was a world that has all the food the first priority
User

Mooncrest

Rank

Commodore

Commodore

Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:19 pm

MITH Menzel 3

Postby Mooncrest » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:47 pm

I have started putting together a spreadsheet for the Sol Invictus Hub Exploration.

This is on Google Docs access via Google Chrome. Here is the link:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/137sFWfWBuyF8D0r6cIf6C-lCX_-sp1jMT7KcZ4Vvveg/edit?usp=sharing

If you decide to survey a sector enter your callsign in the column beside the sector.

When you are happy that all systems in the sector are surveyed fill in the date in the 'Completed' column.

Each Sector has its own sheet for giving the details pf planets found in the systems within the Sector. The Column Headings are:
System Name - Self-explanatory
IN - System Index Number; as shown in a previous post
P/M - The number of the Planet or Moon

The other columns are for the Soil Survey and to let us know if there is an Atmosphere (Atm) and an Ocean (Ocn).

The composition of any atmosphere or ocean are not important at this stage, but it is important to know i there is one or other.

Needless to say, if anyoe wants to change the sheets they can; I have not protected any part of the document.

I will add more sheets as I can.
User

Loke

Rank

Lt Commander

Lt Commander

Postby Loke » Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:19 pm

Cevanne wrote:
Loke wrote:Or lets ask the question a bit different: If you are a newer player, or imagine you are, what would make you plan your next colony/OSB in this system? How can a system or planet be made more atteractive to new settlers?
/Loke

As a newer player (play this game for 3 months) I did do a few 100's of soil samples to find a world where the 4 foods would grow and did not really found a good world so I made a colony on Provision now.
So for me was a world that has all the food the first priority

Interesting. Maybe I have underestimated the current food demand. I also just ran out of grain, had to find a nother source to feed my hungry colony (uses 600k per day), so I guess by the time UNCA lets us terraform there migth be a larger demand for food.

/Loke