User

rmartz

Rank

Rear Admiral

Rear Admiral

Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:37 pm

Game Wiki Thread

Postby rmartz » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:46 am

I am starting and hope to use this thread to identify and coordinate wiki work.

Feel free to post what needs to be added, updated, or corrected on the wiki.

I would also like to identify who has access to the wiki. Please post if you have access and maybe some strengths you can bring to a section or certain format like tables or graphics.

Once we start to get organized, we can start delegating and moving the work forward.

A couple of things I would like to mention.

1. Jam approves wiki access.
b. The HELP is really part of the wiki and we should be taking care of it also.
iii. I am happy to help organize, but I am not the boss. Just someone willing to help as needed. We work at this together.
four. Wiki coding is a little different, so if you do not know much, but are willing to learn, you can do it.

So please post here if you have access to the wiki and what you are good at or enjoy doing.

Thanks and looking forward to moving things forward a little.

One last thing. While it will help to have several helping, everyone doesn't need to help and too many hands in it can make things messy. So if this is not your thing, that is fine. If it is, or you want it to be, then request access and come on board. We will have lots of fun!!
Ingame accounts: RAM, rmartz
Check out RAM Memories.
Visit AscentExtras.com for player built game tools, guilds, and links to game related data.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
no avatar
User

teddga

Rank

Space Cadet

Space Cadet

Thu May 28, 2015 3:34 am

Re: Game Wiki Thread

Postby teddga » Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:26 am

I have been working on the wiki off and on for months. NPC Pilots, Materials and a few other pages are examples of my work. This is the first wiki I've worked on, and I only work on it because I love the game and the wiki has been in such a sad state.

I would like to see 3 main sections for the wiki.
1) Ascent.exe user guide. How to install the game, how to change settings, how the accounts are made/modified, and Player resources, like support/forums/IRC.
2) The main "manual", where concepts are taught and walkthroughs given.
3) References. Where we can look up every game item and see info specific to that item.

We could use a map of conceptual player tasks/jobs. Trader, Miner, Ship Builder, etc. So that we can start applying a systematic approach to making wiki pages and linking them together correctly.

Something like:
As a Ship Builder, I need to look up - what materials are needed for a given ship module. What class a ship is. Where to get ship blueprints or do I class up that item? What the NPC prices are for a ship/part. Where to sell the ship/part...

Teddga
User

rmartz

Rank

Rear Admiral

Rear Admiral

Postby rmartz » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:19 am

For me, the wiki is a place to get people started, not to answer all questions. Much of the game is to figure things out. Basics are good, but we also can not answer every question or issue and so doing, we might take away some of the fun and challenge of figuring things out. There are some things we can build into tables though. I think this would be useful since so much of the data would function well in table format.

On the ship page, a list of items each ship needs would be helpful, but we would not need to spell out every ship since each use the same, just different cl levels.

So as we move forward, I would like to keep the concept of keeping it pretty simple.

I think the first move would be getting the existing wiki up to date on things. We can look later about redoing or changing some things. The original idea was to step from one page to the next and have the wiki match the progress in the game. Some of that has changed since the page links are in the nav bar.
Check out RAM Memories.
Visit AscentExtras.com for player built game tools, guilds, and links to game related data.
no avatar
User

Marsanghas

Rank

Space Cadet

Space Cadet

Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:49 pm

Postby Marsanghas » Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:09 am

On the wiki http://wiki.thespacegame.com/mediawiki/index.php/Completing_Contracts there is a picture with Deep6 Blueprints for sale there.
THe picture doesn't mention the SB Residential module , and the SB Entertainment complex (among others). Maybe a more complete list could be added. I had a screenshot but the board attachment quota has been reached :-)

Thanx to all in chat who were so patient with me to explain where to find these modules.
User

Agamemnon

Rank

Captain

Captain

Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:22 pm

Atlanta, Georgia

Postby Agamemnon » Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:26 pm

I have done professional WIKI work in my old job, we had an internal company wiki server for all of our security operations support needs. Easy click and lookup How to sections...Look up for processes etc and check lists.

More or less something like the tutorial with steps laid out.
Tables galore of course cause you can't do checklists without tables.
Pictures make all the difference, so also did a lot of screen capture and referencing in wiki action steps.

I can help out but don't want to lead anything, just let me know if a section needs help and I can help where I can with it. Say over haul the ship, class, module, mat, projected costs level etc.(retail or to build).
User

Hubes

Rank

Commander

Commander

Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:50 am

Postby Hubes » Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:54 pm

I'm pretty horrible at wiki editing, so I'll just stick to posting what I think might need an update:

Map (sorry RAM):
*Ninazu system is now known as Outlands
*Keystone gate is finished
*There is a new midpoint between Keystone and Aptic that will be going live within days and gates will be planned in 14 days so we'll need yet another system added

non-map related:
*beer and wine related info will need to be added
*Has there been an update showing the Bow and Hawk available as DLCs?

I'll post again soon
Founder of the Trade Guild

Two Term Colonial President

Owner of Planet Martine

Senator of Haven, Aptic, Hyde, Boraash, Raxia, Nexus, Nespia, and Altia systems
User

rmartz

Rank

Rear Admiral

Rear Admiral

Postby rmartz » Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:42 pm

Agamemnon wrote:I have done professional WIKI work in my old job, we had an internal company wiki server for all of our security operations support needs. Easy click and lookup How to sections...Look up for processes etc and check lists.

More or less something like the tutorial with steps laid out.
Tables galore of course cause you can't do checklists without tables.
Pictures make all the difference, so also did a lot of screen capture and referencing in wiki action steps.

I can help out but don't want to lead anything, just let me know if a section needs help and I can help where I can with it. Say over haul the ship, class, module, mat, projected costs level etc.(retail or to build).

Ag, if you could update the ships page, that would be great. Not sure if we need modules for each ship. I think just a list of the ship level module requirements and then the ones you can put any level in. Also it would be good to add the NPC ship requirements there too. Teddga did a great job on the NPC page and duplicating is not good, but either add a link or list it again on the ships page.

Hubes was right, we need to add a DLC info on the hawk and bow. These are helping to increase revenue for the game. That is important. Someone would need to get screenshots of how to get DLC. I have never had the option, so if someone else could get that. Even full screenshots that we can edit would be fine. F12 in Steam if I remember correctly. They can not be posted here, but you can post a link and we can get them that way.
Check out RAM Memories.
User

rmartz

Rank

Rear Admiral

Rear Admiral

Postby rmartz » Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:44 pm

Hubes wrote:I'm pretty horrible at wiki editing, so I'll just stick to posting what I think might need an update:

Map (sorry RAM):
*Ninazu system is now known as Outlands
*Keystone gate is finished
*There is a new midpoint between Keystone and Aptic that will be going live within days and gates will be planned in 14 days so we'll need yet another system added

HUBES!!! I know you were laughing the whole time you posted this!!! :lol:

I am going to wait till the midpoint is found, then really take a hard look at a redesign.

Great list though. Thanks.
Check out RAM Memories.
User

rmartz

Rank

Rear Admiral

Rear Admiral

Postby rmartz » Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:46 pm

Marsanghas wrote:On the wiki http://wiki.thespacegame.com/mediawiki/index.php/Completing_Contracts there is a picture with Deep6 Blueprints for sale there.
THe picture doesn't mention the SB Residential module , and the SB Entertainment complex (among others). Maybe a more complete list could be added. I had a screenshot but the board attachment quota has been reached :-)

Thanx to all in chat who were so patient with me to explain where to find these modules.

Can someone get a good screenshot of the complete list? I suspect the new buildings will be researched and this list should be fairly consistent for a while.
Check out RAM Memories.
User

Vargas

Rank

Lt Commander

Lt Commander

Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:40 pm

Postby Vargas » Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:46 pm

I think this is what you want: http://i.imgur.com/tWVP6yg.png
The Peoples New Eden Alliance. We learnt from history.
Next