Wulf

Rank

Captain

Captain

Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:33 am

Re: Gate Network Expansion and Connection

Postby Wulf » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:02 am

RAM wrote:
Wulf wrote:sector locations are unimportant to gates. part of the advantage of gates is distance is irrelevant. could always ebbed a note per location that has details. like a sticky note :lol:

True, but having it to analyse where to gate to or what system to use to jump from helps a little. I guess that could be looked up or listed separately too.

I have a secret.
I look for nearest locations using the SM in the map. search for a common item like hydrogen for sale and start from sector 0 and work up till you start getting hits. , it's a great way to see what the closest things are . but don't tell anyone I am sure I am the only one that knows this trick.
no avatar
User

RAM

Rank

Commander

Commander

Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:36 am

Postby RAM » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:05 pm

Neat trick for a hound.

The wiki map is just a basic nav tool. Focusing on the purpose can help to decide what to do with it. The in game map only shows gate lines to systems within 2 sectors. So pulling up the game map will not show a gate link to a further off system. It is just so players can, in a glance, see what is connected. Keeping the sector numbers helps to see how far out the system is and the general area it is in. Having the asteroid content is nice, but not really the core purpose. Developing a list(table) for that would be better. This would allow for sorting of types on the wiki if we built a sortable list. This might encourage some to gate to further systems to mine the fields.

I think I will make a new map with the asteroid fields off and see if it can stay within the 1000 pixel wide size. This makes it load faster. I could push the current map to 1200 pixels and still fix the width of most systems used to view it. It would get a little bigger, but would buy a few months time before a new map might be needed.

So, 2 options. 1. Widen the map and keep the asteroid field data on it. 2. Drop asteroid data and keep the same 1000 pixel with?

#1 would take a lot less work, but would keep the more cluttered look.
Any opinions?
Ban cheese slicers. Make Apollo Sector grate again!
Fan Fiction from an old timer - RAM Memories
User

Novicius

Rank

Lieutenant

Lieutenant

Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:39 am

NOVA, NEO, JULIA

Postby Novicius » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:50 pm

I believe it should be 2 maps:

1. New player like map with asteroids fields but Inner and nearest gated systems with additional info what they my lead to ( like train station info: change here to)
2. Extremely schematic advance map for advanced players who are wandering for example which route is better for npc or which gate would make sense or not. No info apart of sector coordinates (I can do my vectors). Also this map do not need Inner just systems gated to inner. So this would save up some space to.

The map should help but not replace need for exploration ie visit yourself.

////////////////////////////////
btw NOVA==Gluteus is approved and it will be build... so pls add it as planned..it will take ages, but it will be done :)

//////////////////////////////
one more here. It seams important that you add (maybe in brackets) future names of those few systems which cause still so much controversy.. you know which one. Lets end this argument and never ever comeback to it.
DAIMON DEUS ALEXIS CAPS NOVICIUS IMPERATIVE...
"I am NOVA",senator of NEO,MINERVA and TIN TIN, imperative of N-Spire force, CEO of Bank of NOVA

"I have a dream..."

MM "You can be fun to read"
User

jdw

Rank

Midshipman

Midshipman

Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:52 pm

Postby jdw » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:59 pm

I Julius Denarius Wisterian senator of Periculum would like to announce (applause - silence please) the opening of the Keystone-Periculum gate activated both ways.

I shall be communicating a more detailed business plan regarding MoonVine Labs, Vapours, Mining and Products operational goal in the future.

Please update all your Astronomical charts.

Thank you
User

davh62

Rank

Captain

Captain

Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:40 pm

UK

Postby davh62 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:22 pm

jdw wrote:I Julius Denarius Wisterian senator of Periculum would like to announce (applause - silence please) the opening of the Keystone-Periculum gate activated both ways.

I shall be communicating a more detailed business plan regarding MoonVine Labs, Vapours, Mining and Products operational goal in the future.

Thank you

Congrats jdw!
FG Fighters Guild Founder
Senator of Ferrite-Senator of Prime-Senator of Barons Rest- Hater of rams speaking date stamp
User

Novicius

Rank

Lieutenant

Lieutenant

Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:39 am

NOVA, NEO, JULIA

Postby Novicius » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:15 pm

jdw wrote:I Julius Denarius Wisterian senator of Periculum would like to announce (applause - silence please) the opening of the Keystone-Periculum gate activated both ways.

Thank you

This is very good news! Settlers of NOVINE are cheering!
DAIMON DEUS ALEXIS CAPS NOVICIUS IMPERATIVE...
"I am NOVA",senator of NEO,MINERVA and TIN TIN, imperative of N-Spire force, CEO of Bank of NOVA

"I have a dream..."

MM "You can be fun to read"
no avatar
User

RAM

Rank

Commander

Commander

Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:36 am

Postby RAM » Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:51 pm

Gates to and from Orion now open.
Ban cheese slicers. Make Apollo Sector grate again!
Fan Fiction from an old timer - RAM Memories
User

davh62

Rank

Captain

Captain

Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:40 pm

UK

Postby davh62 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:17 pm

RAM wrote:Gates to and from Orion now open.

Nice :D
FG Fighters Guild Founder
Senator of Ferrite-Senator of Prime-Senator of Barons Rest- Hater of rams speaking date stamp
no avatar
User

Seeker5

Rank

Lieutenant

Lieutenant

Wed May 28, 2014 8:40 pm

Postby Seeker5 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:38 pm

OH fantastic the Orion gate opened :D

Still amazes me the generosity of this community of their time and resources.
User

LadyHawk

Rank

Lieutenant

Lieutenant

Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:25 pm

Postby LadyHawk » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:57 pm

Unbelievable how great this community is!!! Thanks to all who pitched in and I'm sure there are some who helped without ever letting on that they were doing so. Major contributors I know of include Stag, Rhaven, klcs, jdw, Fleas & Ram...heartfelt thanks to you all!!!
PreviousNext