User

cannibal

Rank

Lieutenant

Lieutenant

Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:22 am

Re: On Mining for Large, Established Interests

Postby cannibal » Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:22 pm

Thanks LadyHawk, i do often buy exotics from yourself as i hate mining. TBH, never put LH an Hawk together as used to know a hawk on game. I do put my purchases towards gate matts and understand your frustration and would never ask for a supply. Forget about the requesters and enjoy the game as u used too. No one will take offence and i'm sure they asked you as u had some on sale.
User

Mooncrest

Rank

Commodore

Commodore

Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:19 pm

MITH Menzel 3

Postby Mooncrest » Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:56 pm

The simple fact is that the game mechanics are increasing demand for Niobium and Tin beyond the player's capacity to supply that demand. At this point in time there looks to be no end in sight to this increase in demand: every new class of ship doubles the demand of the previous class, as we expand away from the Inner Systems the demand for Superconducting Coils for gate parts and now terraforming modules escalates thus increasing demand for Nobium and Tin even more.

Two new asteroid types have been introduced which supply Yttrium, Cerium, Antimony and Gold, but the chance of spawning these asteroids in existing asteroid fields seems incredibly low: I have been heavily mining my mixed fields for months now and not spawned a single one of either. It would seem that they will only spawn in fields discovered after their introduction date. If the spawning of these asteroids could be made somewhat easier, then we could substitute these minerals for Niobium and Tin by researching new versions of the existing ship module blueprints, like the Yttrium Reactor and Cerium Armour, except we do our own research to change the materials.

Basically, though we need to encourage more midgamers to take up asteroid mining. I have tried to do this in two ways: I accept Niobium and Tin as part payment for ships and modules and I have created Starbases in five systems with Angrite and/or Colombite asteroid fields that will purchase materials from anyone who mines there (I try and keep on top of the other asteroids that maybe in the field to make sure that the Ang/Nio roids predominate). I am in the process of linking the systems together with Jump Gates to ease travel. The former is sort of working, though I am not doing much business at the moment other than working for davh62 :lol: . The latter is not working as no-one has sold me any Niobium or Tin in quite sometime. I am, therefore, relying solely on what I can mine for myself at this time.

I have buy orders for 300k each of Niobium and Tin at my main starbase of which some 80k still needs to be fulfilled. I need this amount because I have pre-orders for four Class 16 ships each of which will use 82k+ Niobium and 82k+ Tin. When I placed the buy orders, I did not expect that one player would fulfil the entire amount. That is the beauty of the Stock Market system, you can buy and sell the quantity you want. I did expect to make some purchases though. The players who mine should not feel under any obligation to supply any buy order in toto; that would not be fun at all.

I know that some players find asteroid mining difficult. There is actual, personal skill involved and the real trick is to get used to the flight characteristics of the ship you are using and make sure that you are fully familiar with the uses of the Grav Anchor, which you should use in manual mode for this type of flying. Each ship has its own flight characteristics, but, in general, the bigger the ship the more inertia you have to overcome to maneuvre, so stick to a Mammoth or Guardian, although the Bowhead is about the best mining ship in the game, imo. Remember, also that each Class of Mining Beam only increases maximum yield of Niobium and/or Tin by about 4-6 units, so there is a point at which the additional cargo space used for the Mining Beam out weighs the additional yield you can get.

Anyway, I have rambled on long enough. The problem of escalating demand is not going to go away any time soon so we will have to recognise this and reduce demand to fit the supply we have. What we do not need is the price of Niobium and Tin escalating and a Price War breaking out: that helps no-one.
User

Moneyman

Rank

Captain

Captain

Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:53 pm

Massachusetts

Postby Moneyman » Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:55 pm

cannibal wrote:Thanks LadyHawk, i do often buy exotics from yourself as i hate mining. TBH, never put LH an Hawk together as used to know a hawk on game. I do put my purchases towards gate matts and understand your frustration and would never ask for a supply. Forget about the requesters and enjoy the game as u used too. No one will take offence and i'm sure they asked you as u had some on sale.

:mrgreen: LH, here is a guy to pay attention to - wish to see you more often in-game Cannibal. :)
User

Moneyman

Rank

Captain

Captain

Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:53 pm

Massachusetts

Postby Moneyman » Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:18 pm

:mrgreen: I disagree with you - you were not rambling just had a lot to say. :)

:arrow: I'm an intermediate experience player and find the constant overshooting and inability to match speed with asteroids absolute HELL so I'm not going to do any mining anytime soon AND I know this problem is unlikely to change.
User

Xanuri

Rank

Lt Commander

Lt Commander

Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:34 pm

Postby Xanuri » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:13 pm

This points out a very real issue with Sink hole balance in the game, or actually its a lack there of.

Sinkholes are what provide a means to drain the economy of generated resources both materials and credits alike. We have a very real unbalance in the economy, where gate building and terraforming both put a drain on the same exotics, while other sinkholes for things like the four food groups as well as Aluminium and Titanium are not nearly to scale.

I would hope our New President will work to address some of these issues with the UNCA, in the very near future.
The Dark Calling - High Councilor

If you have a Dark Calling, we are here in the Red Zone awaiting your arrival.
User

Mooncrest

Rank

Commodore

Commodore

MITH Menzel 3

Postby Mooncrest » Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:16 pm

Moneyman wrote::arrow: I'm an intermediate experience player and find the constant overshooting and inability to match speed with asteroids absolute HELL so I'm not going to do any mining anytime soon AND I know this problem is unlikely to change.

My technique for asteroid mining, once I have warped to the field, is:
  • Switch ON Manual Grav Anchor using the Options Screen
    Personally I have the Grav Anchor on Manual all the time
  • Turn off the Grav Anchor
  • Aim at a suitable roid
  • Turn on the Grav Anchor and begin to thrust toward the roid
    This will set your movement vector toward the roid
  • Once you have reached max speed with Grav Anchor on, turn off the Grav Anchor and close with the roid.
  • As roid gets close to your Mining Range (determined by your MB Class) use the Grav Anchor Toggle to slow the approach
  • Activate the Mining Beam as the roid gets within range
  • Keep toggling the Grav Anchor and using the throttle to keep the roid in range, but not too close
  • Disengage the Mining Beam when the beam is all blue
I believe that the range given at the top of the screen is the range to the centre of the roid, not the beam's contact point. This can be significantly different when you are mining big roids; "dogbones" especially: the reverse thrusters on a Bowhead come in handy here.

Above all, practice. Be kind to new players and go clean out the Sid/Kam/Chron/Aut/ and Urelite roids in Vulcan and Veritas occasionally. It does not really matter if you blow them all up and it helps generate Ang and Col roids for the new guys.
Last edited by Mooncrest on Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User

LadyHawk

Rank

Lt Commander

Lt Commander

Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:25 pm

Postby LadyHawk » Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:06 am

Clearing the junk roids out of Vulcan and Veritas space...what a great suggestion, Moon!

Thank you! I will do some of that when I get signed on tonite and try to make it a habit as
often as I have time.
User

davh62

Rank

Commodore

Commodore

Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:40 pm

UK

Postby davh62 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:29 am

You also level mining skill faster in new fields...why?

Because they heat up faster so you pop more per hour thus giving more chances to level.
FG Fighters Guild Founder
Senator of Ferrite-Senator of Prime-Senator of Barons Rest- Hater of rams speaking date stamp
User

Mooncrest

Rank

Commodore

Commodore

MITH Menzel 3

Postby Mooncrest » Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:16 pm

LadyHawk wrote:Clearing the junk roids out of Vulcan and Veritas space...what a great suggestion, Moon!
Thank you! I will do some of that when I get signed on tonite and try to make it a habit as
often as I have time.

I cannot claim credit for this idea; the veterans that were around when I started used to do this a lot because Vulcan and Veritas were the only two fields us new guys could get to. I do not do as much of this as I ought to nowadays. I'll have to see if I can make some time to do more.
User

rmartz

Rank

Rear Admiral

Rear Admiral

Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:37 pm

Postby rmartz » Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:07 pm

Mooncrest wrote:I cannot claim credit for this idea; the veterans that were around when I started used to do this a lot because Vulcan and Veritas were the only two fields us new guys could get to. I do not do as much of this as I ought to nowadays. I'll have to see if I can make some time to do more.

I have seen Vulcan and Veritas Sid and Kam free before. Those were the days.
Ingame accounts: RAM, rmartz
Check out RAM Memories.
Visit AscentExtras.com for player built game tools, guilds, and links to game related data.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
PreviousNext