User

LadyHawk

Rank

Lt Commander

Lt Commander

Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:25 pm

Re: On Mining for Large, Established Interests

Postby LadyHawk » Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:24 pm

Well, perhaps some of those good old days can be recycled into even better present days.

RAM, would you consider re-activating the Miner's Guild? Pretty please?
I think there are enough of us fledgling miners to fill its ranks and it would be a great encouragement
to have joint purpose and activities, like keeping Vulcan and Veritas cleared of junk roids.

Kudos to 'the Cartel' by the way. I've seen significant work being done in their ranks to increase their own
mining and leave supplies available for purchase by the smaller players. I would like to clarify, as well, that
I never meant any criticism toward our veteran players. You guys deserve to play the game any way you
like, as well, and there is no question that the gates and TF'd planets you've already created have provided
very real benefits for new players.
User

Moneyman

Rank

Captain

Captain

Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:53 pm

Massachusetts

Postby Moneyman » Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:39 pm

:mrgreen: I like moon's full detail on mining - its the type of thing (explaining) you are good at moon .. the thing is I have another focus outside Ascent that's got my attention currently and will be my focus for some time. :D
User

rmartz

Rank

Rear Admiral

Rear Admiral

Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:37 pm

Postby rmartz » Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:06 pm

LadyHawk wrote:RAM, would you consider re-activating the Miner's Guild?

MG is still there just without active leadership.
Ingame accounts: RAM, rmartz
Check out RAM Memories.
Visit AscentExtras.com for player built game tools, guilds, and links to game related data.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
User

Anci

Rank

Ensign

Ensign

Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:59 pm

Postby Anci » Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:52 pm

Mooncrest wrote:Above all, practice. Be kind to new players and go clean out the Sid/Kam/Chron/Aut/ and Urelite roids in Vulcan and Veritas occasionally. It does not really matter if you blow them all up and it helps generate Ang and Col roids for the new guys.

I am a new player, 25 days of playing, got few good tips from veteran players, and always learn something new from forum post and wiki. Didn't know that when roids swap change the ore type in vulcan and Veritas. So I can help in doing that. It is a very important for a new player to have opportunity to fast get bigger ships. And that can be done with giving a good advice and helping in good roids type.
User

Moneyman

Rank

Captain

Captain

Massachusetts

Postby Moneyman » Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:43 pm

rmartz wrote:
LadyHawk wrote:RAM, would you consider re-activating the Miner's Guild?

MG is still there just without active leadership.

:mrgreen: There you go LH ... a niche you are probably perfect for. :D
User

Moneyman

Rank

Captain

Captain

Massachusetts

Postby Moneyman » Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:47 pm

Anci wrote:
Mooncrest wrote:Above all, practice. Be kind to new players and go clean out the Sid/Kam/Chron/Aut/ and Urelite roids in Vulcan and Veritas occasionally. It does not really matter if you blow them all up and it helps generate Ang and Col roids for the new guys.

I am a new player, 25 days of playing, got few good tips from veteran players, and always learn something new from forum post and wiki. Didn't know that when roids swap change the ore type in vulcan and Veritas. So I can help in doing that. It is a very important for a new player to have opportunity to fast get bigger ships. And that can be done with giving a good advice and helping in good roids type.

:mrgreen: You may wish to help Ladyhawk (LH) run the Miners Guild - you two may like working together.
no avatar
User

RumSmoothy

Rank

Space Cadet

Space Cadet

Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:54 pm

Postby RumSmoothy » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:06 am

Shift from Uranium to Nb/Tin!

Wow, some good stuff here.

I'm fairly new here but i noticed something in my own mining behaviour that i will change for the betterment of the supply needs of larger players like the others posting here.

Early on, I discovered that mining Uranium is profitable. Very profitable. And because of its proportions, i can mine uranium and discard the silicon and mine again.

But I just sell Uranium to the Inner 9 for credits. Does not help build gates. Does not build ships. It just fuels more credit creation in a game where, am i right, but some of you have more credits than .. cough... God? (is is true someone asked that the number be extended cause they had reached 10 trillion??)

So... how can i be persuaded not to mine the economically profitable but game-wise useless Uranium, and head out instead to the fields of Tin and Niobium?

You would know best.

My own thought is:
1) Let the price of Tin/Niobium tilt so it earns more then Uranium.
2) Say it. Like the message that we don't cherry pick mixed asteroid fields, say that we value mining Tin/Nb more than U+
3) A stupid NPC poster ship at Ceres (yes, i actually read them) proclaiming: Don't mine U+ , Make more off Tin/Nb!

RumSmoothy
no avatar
User

RAM

Rank

Captain

Captain

Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:36 am

Postby RAM » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:13 am

RumSmoothy wrote:Let the price of Tin/Niobium tilt so it earns more then Uranium.

It already is tilted that way at PC Stock Markets.

We just added Uranium to the Local markets a few months ago. We can adjust price down a bit if it is too high. I am glad that it can be used now as a credit resource and one can use mining as a tool to move forward much easier.

I am also concerned that we do not flood the economy with too many credits. I advocated for a reduction of carbon prices at the LM while we added all these other items. We may need to tweak the prices a bit more. I figured we would go 3 months and see how things were progressing. We are very close to that 3 month window.

Nio and Tin are set by PC demand. We can not really adjust those prices. What we can do is adjust some of the Local Market (LM) prices.

Maybe Uranium is a little too high. Drop it, drop carbon by another 5%. Raise food buy prices by 5%.

This allows for a gradual change away from carbon based economy without hitting it too hard all at once.
"The UNCA is not your boss!" ~ Jessica Steele
Fan Fiction from an old timer - RAM Memories
no avatar
User

RumSmoothy

Rank

Space Cadet

Space Cadet

Postby RumSmoothy » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:34 am

Hmm, let me think on this a bit. I am going a bit off-topic but most certainly the Uranium is about double the price it should be and Magnesium similarly double where i would peg it. I think in a closed economy like this, inflation has a role to play, which is part of the reason why the true market cost of carbon and iron is so painfully low - its value has been inflated away by vast oversupply.

Strangely the oversupply of money has not raised prices. Those with money must not need iron. and carbon. and and and.

I think there is a way to reshuffle things into a thriving economy where each piece has a true cost : so a point where adding another 1000 carbon collectors actually hits my wallet (unlike now), and a point where the penny UNCL pays for taking a soil sample (what, 10,000 credits?) can be made meaningful. And where passengers pay a real fee.

And the solution might have to do with inflation, and thinking how it was done in Dofus, the other MMO i once played that has a thriving economy. Eve is not a good comparison - i found the economy there rather ... sickly. Lots spoken of it but all the training requirements and percentage fees made it deeply unprofitable for any but the dedicated, and something else too - how it was at times a proxy for warfare... Trade was .. is angry the word?

But bringing this back to topic, what is obvious to me is the big jump in price of tin and Nb was likely a response to the jump in price of Uranium. The two are linked. And our drop in Tin and Nb production might not be because of the absence of a few choice players - but instead a shift in mining habits. If you don't touch the cost of uranium - expect the prices of Nb and tin to remain high. Which further pushes the cost of carbon towards irrelevance but might be a good thing. Economies are suppose to self-correct.

I'll start a thread soon on possible changes to the economy that might bring the inner market rate and true price into line but that's another article. Before you decide on the U+ price changes, (the 3month review you mentioned) might i have an opportunity to pitch a more radical view?

Rumsmoothy.

Thank you RAM for your kind welcome.
no avatar
User

RumSmoothy

Rank

Space Cadet

Space Cadet

Postby RumSmoothy » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:40 am

Oh, and to correct you earlier, I don't think the uranium price is under that of the Tin/Nb.

I am in an Archon with a lvl10 mining laser and a quick trip will get me about 30,000 uranium which i can quickly turn into cash at about 20,000 credits each, so 600M.

With slightly more work, i'll make about 660M in 3000 tin and a about 150,000 in magnesium. Slightly more work. similar payout.

So no, the price of Tin/Nb is about in line with the more abundant uranium at 20k each.

Rumsmoothy.
PreviousNext