User

rmartz

Rank

Rear Admiral

Rear Admiral

Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:37 pm

Alexa

Postby rmartz » Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:56 pm

http://accidentsinus.com/Accidents/Detail.aspx?Accident=ef487a50-1943-4f08-b347-9e172849e142

Alexa as a great player. She was very friendly and helped a lot of new players. She was very involved and very helpful in all areas. She was on the Council of MINERS Guild also.

The link above is the accident she was involved in and died. It was a shock to the player base. We felt her loss.

Soon afterwards, Jam wanted to have a project for the PAX event they were going to. We decided to gate a system and name it after Alexa. We talked and several suggestions were presented. Finally, Alexas Corridor was selected. It was gated to Veritas and was soon established as a strong system.

After some time had passed, Jam added the Neptune Project to the game. We were to search for Jessica Steele's sister. He chose the name Alexa for the same reason we wanted to name the system after Alexa. As a tribute and a way to remember her presence, involvement, and loss.

I feel a little bad because I should have documented this much sooner and was asked once to add it to the wiki and I did not get around to it. I will work on that this week.
Last edited by rmartz on Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ingame accounts: RAM, rmartz
Check out RAM Memories.
Visit AscentExtras.com for player built game tools, guilds, and links to game related data.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
User

rmartz

Rank

Rear Admiral

Rear Admiral

Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:37 pm

Re: Alexa

Postby rmartz » Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:05 pm

I wanted to make a second post disconnected from the first and explain what has motivated me to make this move.

Leprosi has been Senator in Alexas Cooridor. She was very connected to Alexa and knew the history well. Since Leprosi has gone AWOL for the past month, elections progressed. Mizuk became Senator. SHortly afterwards he changed the name of the system from Alexas Corridor to Borg something, I can't remember exactly. This is his right to do as Senator. I know if I approach him about the history or name, it will not be received well since he has a personal vendetta against me.

So I want to bring this up for discussion. Do we want to continue to remember Alexa in the stars? Can, should we rename another system, or some others talk to Mizuk about returning the name of the system back to something that remembers Alexa?

We could also develop a new system and place her name on it. Jam might also have an idea of how we could lock something in game that would not interfere with a player's ability to make the changes they want.

Again, I am not angry that someone changed the name. I am saddened that some history is lost. Maybe only us old jerks care about that history. If so, I can accept that. Just wanted to discuss it a bit.
Ingame accounts: RAM, rmartz
Check out RAM Memories.
Visit AscentExtras.com for player built game tools, guilds, and links to game related data.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
User

Altairus

Rank

2nd Lieutenant

2nd Lieutenant

Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:25 pm

Annwvyn

Postby Altairus » Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:24 pm

rmartz wrote:So I want to bring this up for discussion. Do we want to continue to remember Alexa in the stars? Can, should we rename another system, or some others talk to Mizuk about returning the name of the system back to something that remembers Alexa?

We could also develop a new system and place her name on it. Jam might also have an idea of how we could lock something in game that would not interfere with a player's ability to make the changes they want.

Again, I am not angry that someone changed the name. I am saddened that some history is lost. Maybe only us old jerks care about that history. If so, I can accept that. Just wanted to discuss it a bit.

Definitely agree that a player who gave so much of her time should be remembered. That was the original intent.

In other games, players who have contributed so much and have fallen have some kind of memorial - and that should somehow be permanent.

EDIT: History is important - it reminds of where we come from, and of those who contributed to get us here. Today is Remembrance Day in Australia, and I have always thanked those that gave of themselves to allow us to live with the freedoms we have.
Senator of Dyfed
User

Hubes

Rank

Commander

Commander

Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:50 am

Postby Hubes » Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:52 pm

I think it's very important to remember Alexa in our own way. Jam found an amazing way to put her name permanently in the game. Naming a system was a way for players to do something similar on their own. Many other projects came up as well...the one that comes to mind was the NPCs sent around with the names of past players.

Short of having Jam hard code something, it's hard to keep an event like this from repeating down the road. While I encourage reaching out and requesting the name be reverted, I'd also like to propose something.

I'd like to request that someone find me the closest system to the inner 9 that has nothing but a star. No planets, moons, asteroids...nothing. I will build a memorial there and gate it to all the close major systems...just not directly to the core. This way it will remain a visible reminder to us all...while have no value to others outside of that. I'm willing to fund this on my own.

What are your thoughts on this?
Founder of the Trade Guild

Two Term Colonial President

Owner of Planet Martine

Senator of Haven, Aptic, Hyde, Boraash, Raxia, Nexus, Nespia, and Altia systems
User

Mooncrest

Rank

Commodore

Commodore

Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:19 pm

MITH Menzel 3

Postby Mooncrest » Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:56 pm

Hubes wrote:I'd like to request that someone find me the closest system to the inner 9 that has nothing but a star. No planets, moons, asteroids...nothing. I will build a memorial there and gate it to all the close major systems...just not directly to the core. This way it will remain a visible reminder to us all...while have no value to others outside of that. I'm willing to fund this on my own.

This is a wonderful idea, Hubes. Count me in for any help I can give.
User

Altairus

Rank

2nd Lieutenant

2nd Lieutenant

Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:25 pm

Annwvyn

Postby Altairus » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:07 pm

Mooncrest wrote:
Hubes wrote:I'd like to request that someone find me the closest system to the inner 9 that has nothing but a star. No planets, moons, asteroids...nothing. I will build a memorial there and gate it to all the close major systems...just not directly to the core. This way it will remain a visible reminder to us all...while have no value to others outside of that. I'm willing to fund this on my own.

This is a wonderful idea, Hubes. Count me in for any help I can give.

I would be happy to chip in with whatever I can...
Senator of Dyfed
User

davh62

Rank

Commodore

Commodore

Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:40 pm

UK

Postby davh62 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:23 pm

I'm very glad you posted this ram as she was an epic player who I remember often passing through her memorial gate. Which of course was the intention. I was saddened to hear that the gate had been re-named. That being said probably Mizuk wasn't aware of it's significance. I wonder if he would consider changing it back?
FG Fighters Guild Founder
Senator of Ferrite-Senator of Prime-Senator of Barons Rest- Hater of rams speaking date stamp
no avatar
User

Bigpapi1313

Rank

Space Cadet

Space Cadet

Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:38 pm

Postby Bigpapi1313 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:26 pm

Great idea Hubes
User

Xanuri

Rank

Lt Commander

Lt Commander

Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:34 pm

Postby Xanuri » Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:13 am

Although I never had the pleasure of meeting her, I fully support this idea and if there is anything that myself or the Dark Calling can do to assist in making this happen, please let me know and we will gladly chip in!
The Dark Calling - High Councilor

If you have a Dark Calling, we are here in the Red Zone awaiting your arrival.
User

Hubes

Rank

Commander

Commander

Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:50 am

Postby Hubes » Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:48 am

I will move ahead in two directions. As for my stated idea for a dedicated memorial, I will be going ahead with this. At this time if anyone is willing to help look for systems that would work (nothing but a star, and as close to the inner 9 as possible) it would be a great help. It seems I'm only good at finding such systems when I'm looking for asteroid fields and planets to explore, lol.

The second path is a posted petition that I hope you all visit and sign/comment in an attempt to restore the name of Alexas Corridor to the system in question:

http://forum.thespacegame.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3257
Founder of the Trade Guild

Two Term Colonial President

Owner of Planet Martine

Senator of Haven, Aptic, Hyde, Boraash, Raxia, Nexus, Nespia, and Altia systems
Next