User

Veladre

Rank

Midshipman

Midshipman

Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:58 am

Multiplayer Interaction

Postby Veladre » Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:47 pm

I was wondering if anyone knows if forming groups is something that is planned and if the networking is still being worked on. I noticed that even if you do happen to run up on someone in an asteroid field its really not anything you can interact with other then "hey i see you". I was hoping to be able to fly up to a buddy and be like hey check out my new ship and paint job, or to be able to watch him mine an asteroid but this game seems to have a really really terrible update on its networking. Players just skip around, roids just glitch out or disappear that they have mined. I would understand if that is something that is currently being worked on but from asking around it seemed that it has always been that way. That seems a rather large problem for further development of group gameplay.

I am really enjoying the game and got multiple of my friends to start playing as well so i hope that at some point these features will be addressed. I really would enjoy have a more stable multiplayer experience at some point
User

rmartz

Rank

Rear Admiral

Rear Admiral

Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:37 pm

Re: Multiplayer Interaction

Postby rmartz » Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:43 pm

You can already form a unique chat channel and the only way someone will know is if they have the name to join it.

Other than that, there are no game structures for groups/guilds/organizatons in the near future. We would have to get a lot more players before the coding time to do that would be justified.
Ingame accounts: RAM, rmartz
Check out RAM Memories.
Visit AscentExtras.com for player built game tools, guilds, and links to game related data.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
no avatar
User

Veladre

Rank

Midshipman

Midshipman

Postby Veladre » Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:01 pm

honestly i could deal with the lack of grouping mechanics but not being able to interact in the same space with other players was really quite frustrating. I know the issue of pvp zones was mentioned but i have to wonder how that would even be possible until some major changes to the networking take place. I was really just wondering if those changes were in the pipeline to a stable interaction with other players. I know it has also been mentioned about being able to go up and perform direct trades with other players ships as well so that would play into it as well.
User

rmartz

Rank

Rear Admiral

Rear Admiral

Postby rmartz » Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:04 pm

Veladre wrote:honestly i could deal with the lack of grouping mechanics but not being able to interact in the same space with other players was really quite frustrating. I know the issue of pvp zones was mentioned but i have to wonder how that would even be possible until some major changes to the networking take place. I was really just wondering if those changes were in the pipeline to a stable interaction with other players. I know it has also been mentioned about being able to go up and perform direct trades with other players ships as well so that would play into it as well.

Well, we trade at each other's colonies and OSB. We can trade through the GM easily. We can mine common fields. Settle common planets. Build common gates. Terraform common world.

What other interactions are you interested in?
Check out RAM Memories.
Visit AscentExtras.com for player built game tools, guilds, and links to game related data.
User

Mooncrest

Rank

Commodore

Commodore

Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:19 pm

MITH Menzel 3

Postby Mooncrest » Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:15 pm

I had heard that group combat against the pirate encounters was being worked on. I am anxiously waiting for this feature, because I would really like to stage competitive races around the Gate Network. This is currently not possible, because you cannot guarantee to see other players' ships that are in your system. I was hoping to be able to use Boomerangs as Race Steward ships and have the Boomer's pilot stand in the hangar bay and watch as other players flew their racers through the ship's hangar; which would act as the race checkpoint. I would also like to be able to carry other players' ships in my Boomerang and be able to allocate some of the Boomer's cargo space to those players, then I could run asteroid mining trips to deep space where the yields would be better than the starter systems.
no avatar
User

Veladre

Rank

Midshipman

Midshipman

Postby Veladre » Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:23 pm

rmartz wrote:
Veladre wrote:honestly i could deal with the lack of grouping mechanics but not being able to interact in the same space with other players was really quite frustrating. I know the issue of pvp zones was mentioned but i have to wonder how that would even be possible until some major changes to the networking take place. I was really just wondering if those changes were in the pipeline to a stable interaction with other players. I know it has also been mentioned about being able to go up and perform direct trades with other players ships as well so that would play into it as well.

Well, we trade at each other's colonies and OSB. We can trade through the GM easily. We can mine common fields. Settle common planets. Build common gates. Terraform common world.

What other interactions are you interested in?

Your listing nothing related to my question....my concern was more to what moon what relating. The fact that the networking is soo glitchy that you are not able to even fly up to another ship in space without it being completely still due to the updating i guess not being able to smoothly show what each ship is doing. It really breaks immersion and doing things like group mining ops or anything where you want to feel like your not flying alone. I understand the player driven economy and visiting starbases. I am really liking the game but i was hoping to be able to fly around with my buddies in space. Hopefully this will be addressed at some point and we can really start having some group play in space :)
User

LadyHawk

Rank

Lt Commander

Lt Commander

Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:25 pm

Postby LadyHawk » Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:39 am

Hi Guys :)

Vel, I understand exactly what you are saying about player interaction and agree, its a feature I would love to see added to the game as well. I remember my first few days here being surprised by how little there is and a bit disoriented by it, compared to any other MMO games I've played.

I am not a programmer at all so I have no idea what it would take to add such features but I do have to say, in answer to Ram's statement about there not being enough players to make it worth the programming time...its a bit like the chicken vs. egg question...which comes first? I think a lot of potential players are put off by the absence of such kinds of interaction capabilities and we all want to see player population growth for the future health of Ascent, Jam and most of all, our #1 Fluffy Kitten, Louie.

On the other hand, Vel and Company, we're thrilled to have you in the Ascent community and hope you'll stay. But, with an Indie developer and the massive efforts required for putting together a game like this, you may have to be a bit more willing to compromise.
Even without the player interaction there are an incredible number of awesome things in this game and, once you let go of preconceived notions of what should or shouldn't be here, you will find no end of fun and fascinating things to do here.

So stay, please? And become a part of this wonderful community, help us help it grow and blossom. The possibilities are almost as limitless as the universe :)
User

rmartz

Rank

Rear Admiral

Rear Admiral

Postby rmartz » Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:39 am

Veladre wrote:Your listing nothing related to my question....my concern was more to what moon what relating. The fact that the networking is soo glitchy that you are not able to even fly up to another ship in space without it being completely still due to the updating i guess not being able to smoothly show what each ship is doing. It really breaks immersion and doing things like group mining ops or anything where you want to feel like your not flying alone. I understand the player driven economy and visiting starbases. I am really liking the game but i was hoping to be able to fly around with my buddies in space. Hopefully this will be addressed at some point and we can really start having some group play in space :)

I remember months ago mining fields with friends. We had a purpose for being in the same field and often saw each other as we mined. Lots of fun.

So if there is something causing issues with that, I can understand the drawbacks. We could never trade ship to ship, but could see each other as we mined.

Steam Early release hit and we got close to 100 players at a time playing. Vulcan got so bogged down that Jam implemented a way to see basically every other ship. This really helped the load. Over time, the numbers decreased, yet the patch stayed. So if you are not seeing each other while mining, it is because you are even and the other guy is odd (simple way to explain it. Not sure if it is the exact coding).
Check out RAM Memories.
User

Dirk

Rank

Ensign

Ensign

Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:01 pm

Among the Stars

Postby Dirk » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:52 am

Bit of a loner myself, but if I was in a group/corporation it would be nice to be able to have a corporation OSB, where resources could be pooled and all the group/corp members could dock. That might improve interactivity, don't you think?

Dirk
Senator of Mara, Shangri La, Unicorn and Griffin
User

rmartz

Rank

Rear Admiral

Rear Admiral

Postby rmartz » Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:38 pm

Dirk wrote:Bit of a loner myself, but if I was in a group/corporation it would be nice to be able to have a corporation OSB, where resources could be pooled and all the group/corp members could dock. That might improve interactivity, don't you think?

Dirk

Yep. Would be a lot of fun.

I could exclude those pesky FG fellers. Oh, wait, they are Cart el peoples like me. I guess I would have to allow them also. Being a carbon baron does have its downsides. ;)
Check out RAM Memories.
Next