RAM

Rank

Lt Commander

Lt Commander

Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:36 am

Combat Improvements

Postby RAM » Wed May 03, 2017 2:00 pm

http://forum.thespacegame.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3400#p28867

jam wrote:With that in mind, I need more specific feedback if you want me to fix/improve something like combat. Is there a good thread on it you could link to? I've got my own ideas on the subject but by now you've experienced a lot more combat than I have by now.

What are the things we like, do not like, want to see improved in combat?
Ban cheese slicers. Make Apollo Sector grate again!
Fan Fiction from an old timer - RAM Memories
no avatar
User

RAM

Rank

Lt Commander

Lt Commander

Re: Combat Improvements

Postby RAM » Wed May 03, 2017 2:02 pm

1. Combat skills similar to mining skill or skimming skill. Nothing that will multiply weapons damage so much, but give a little bump. I much more skilled combat pilot would know where and how to hit much more effectively. It also gives some kind of bragging rights for those who like combat.
no avatar
User

RAM

Rank

Lt Commander

Lt Commander

Postby RAM » Wed May 03, 2017 4:52 pm

http://forum.thespacegame.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3400&start=20#p28892

davh62 wrote:Looks like I may have to rustle some ramish steeds in the near future for the medieval game :lol:

Jam, very pleased to hear that our in game constructions are safe 8-)

With regards to combat & I say this as constructive because I still enjoy it as is anyways. The AI just makes a B line for the player every time. This leads to a situation where both parties fire pretty much simultaneously. It ends up like a situation where biggest shield/weapons wins. Its also very brief. Jam I'm not sure if you know but weapons have lost their cool down timer & now rapid fire? So when I say brief, it is! Although I never tire of seeing those explosions.
I had some thoughts about Red zone. PVP can cause some pretty nasty situations between players RE: Eve. The community is tight in ascent, it's one of it's assets. Why not change RZ to a PVE arena but along with pirates an alien race or rival human splinter group? The risk would still be there in RZ but no player rages. We could gain alien tech or new BP's from RZ battles?

Not something that needs immediate attention but food for thought.
no avatar
User

RAM

Rank

Lt Commander

Lt Commander

Postby RAM » Sat May 06, 2017 1:00 pm

davh mentioned the cool down time for lasers is gone. Returning it might be an improvement.
User

davh62

Rank

Captain

Captain

Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:40 pm

UK

Postby davh62 » Sat May 06, 2017 4:42 pm

RAM wrote:davh mentioned the cool down time for lasers is gone. Returning it might be an improvement.

Indeed. Because rapid fire means higher level weapons are of no use. Armour is a nonsense & shields near useless.
FG Fighters Guild Founder
Senator of Ferrite-Senator of Prime-Senator of Provision-Senator of Barons Rest-Senator of Menzel3-Senator of Titan
User

LadyHawk

Rank

Lieutenant

Lieutenant

Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:25 pm

Postby LadyHawk » Tue May 09, 2017 10:46 am

I have postponed doing most of the combat quests until now, because combat is just not 'my thing'.

I did finally decide to give it a try last night though..so I installed a class 15 shield and 2 class 16 turrets (one fore, one aft)
in my Levi and went down to Janus A to do a few of the earliest combat quests. I started with Encounters 3000 and 5007 and
was informed by ship's computer Dave that the enemy ships I had locked onto had higher level weaponry than my own, so perhaps
I should consider leaving and installing something better. 30 seconds later (without changing shield or turrets) I won the battle...hands down...on both those quests as well as a few more I continued on with, which Dave also gave me the same warning about.

Clearly Dave's warning system needs a little tweaking.
User

Moneyman

Rank

Commander

Commander

Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:53 pm

Massachusetts

Postby Moneyman » Tue May 09, 2017 1:29 pm

LadyHawk wrote:I have postponed doing most of the combat quests until now, because combat is just not 'my thing'.

I did finally decide to give it a try last night though..so I installed a class 15 shield and 2 class 16 turrets (one fore, one aft)
in my Levi and went down to Janus A to do a few of the earliest combat quests. I started with Encounters 3000 and 5007 and
was informed by ship's computer Dave that the enemy ships I had locked onto had higher level weaponry than my own, so perhaps
I should consider leaving and installing something better. 30 seconds later (without changing shield or turrets) I won the battle...hands down...on both those quests as well as a few more I continued on with, which Dave also gave me the same warning about.

:mrgreen: Clearly Dave needs an upgrade. A nasal Dave would be amusing. :)
no avatar
User

RAM

Rank

Lt Commander

Lt Commander

Postby RAM » Tue May 09, 2017 1:41 pm

LadyHawk wrote:

CrazyDave is a big chicken and should be ignored in combat. Your fitout should just about finish any ship coming at you, just don't try to turn to hit them.

Oh, wait. I am a rAMISH pacifist. Ignore me telling you to ignore CrazyDave.

I must have found my Commodore L3 ranking somewhere. I think mine is for milking cows, or something. ;)
User

LadyHawk

Rank

Lieutenant

Lieutenant

Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:25 pm

Postby LadyHawk » Sun May 14, 2017 12:34 am

Ok, I am far from a combat guru here, but in the interest of answering Jam's questions about what needs improvement in this area ...I have the following observations....

I have entered numerous combat scenarios now, with a Levi armed with Class 15 shield and 2 class 16 turrets, one mounted fore, the other aft. In about half the scenarios I've entered, my weaponry has quickly overcome the enemy forces in pretty prompt order.....but the other half have sat in limbo status....turrets refusing to fire despite optimal positioning.....leaving me at a total loss at what to do about it???

Sometimes, exiting the game and relogging have solved the problem, but not always. What is missing or needs fixing???

As I stated earlier, personally, I don't give a rip about combat issues...but if this something that needs addressing to attract the kind of crowd you are targeting....definitely needs some work.
User

PopeKael

Rank

Ensign

Ensign

Sun May 07, 2017 12:26 am

Bangkok

Postby PopeKael » Sun May 14, 2017 1:15 am

Moneyman wrote: :mrgreen: Clearly Dave needs an upgrade. A nasal Dave would be amusing. :)

Can we get Rowan Atkinson to do the voice work?

LoL
“The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.” ― Douglas Adams
Next