User

RAM

Rank

Commander

Commander

Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:36 am

Comprehensive Colony/OSB Overview Tool

Postby RAM » Sun May 21, 2017 3:37 am

Tsenna started this with a Javascript tool.

http://forum.thespacegame.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1549&p=12017#p12017

I took his basic plan and, after a lot of thought, decided to continue with the online model.

http://colony.ascentextras.com/

Most of you are familiar with this. I kept it online for two major reasons. One, any updates become immediately available to whomever uses it since it loads in the entire script each time you access it.

Two, the Draw Map feature would be hard to do with AutoHotKey, the other program I could use to create something better. C# might be able to do this, but it would take someone else to do it since I do not know that language ... yet.

One drawback is that you have to tell it which file every time you access the page. Javascript is restricted from remembering a file location and accessing a file like this without the user manually directing it. This is a security feature needed for Javascript.

Another drawback is the complexity of having multiple colonies/OSB that will load together. It could be done, but would be quite a hassle to have to load each file every time.

This brings me to my most recent thoughts.

I am considering building a comprehensive AHK tool that will remember and load in all the colonies (maybe up to a certain number) at start up and allow for grand total numbers of all loaded colonies and tabs to easily click between each colony.

This would be a pretty massive project, but hopefully make things easier and more convenient. With the relaunch coming, it might make a nice addition to the tools.

The downside is any updates would have to be downloaded, but since new things are being added much slower, that may not be as big an issue.

It would take me a month before I could get started and several months to finish it.

My first question is how much more useful would it be to what we have right now?

Second is what things would you like to see that the existing online analyzer does not do?

Third, I will most likely not even consider a map feature and just use the [Draw Map] tool already built in the existing analyzer.

Lastly, I will put a game time clock already in it. I know that was everyone's first thing they wanted. It will come with one built in. 8-)

What is everyone's thoughts about this? What questions do you have and what additional features would you love to see?
Ban cheese slicers. Make Apollo Sector grate again!
Fan Fiction from an old timer - RAM Memories
User

Moneyman

Rank

Commander

Commander

Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:53 pm

Massachusetts

Re: Comprehensive Colony/OSB Overview Tool

Postby Moneyman » Sun May 21, 2017 10:00 am

:mrgreen: Nice and thanks. With both you and fleas doing C# I'm starting to think maybe my coding days are not over. Maybe.
no avatar
User

RAM

Rank

Commander

Commander

Postby RAM » Sun May 21, 2017 2:04 pm

Moneyman wrote::mrgreen: Nice and thanks. With both you and fleas doing C# I'm starting to think maybe my coding days are not over. Maybe.

I ain't learnin c# any time soon. Maybe a next year, or year after that, unless some unseen thing happens. :)

This will all be done in AHK, but compiled to run as a separate program like the Dome Control Program or CTRL Key Tool does.

Yep, the lazy way works for me.
User

Loke

Rank

Lieutenant

Lieutenant

Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:39 pm

Postby Loke » Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:51 pm

May I suggest a change to how stored modules are displayed, currently it lists every module. But the list gets pretty long, when you start having a lot of cl1 etc. What if it only listed each type and class once, and there would be a number of how many.

Love the tool, use it daily, and sometimes for testing I still use the original one Tsenna made (it shows negative numbers in wharehouse)
Callsign: Fraaggii or Loke
Senator Fraaggii of Primo Spe, 8086, New Horizon, Kroll, Skadi and Darkfield
Senator Loke of Niu Heimar

Statistics for Nio and Tin prices: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3427
no avatar
User

RAM

Rank

Commander

Commander

Postby RAM » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:26 pm

Loke wrote:May I suggest a change to how stored modules are displayed, currently it lists every module. But the list gets pretty long, when you start having a lot of cl1 etc. What if it only listed each type and class once, and there would be a number of how many.

Love the tool, use it daily, and sometimes for testing I still use the original one Tsenna made (it shows negative numbers in wharehouse)
That is a good idea. I think I can do it pretty easily. I already do something similar for Building supplies needed.