User

Loke

Rank

Lieutenant

Lieutenant

Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:39 pm

Too much credits? Why??

Postby Loke » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:11 am

Its nothing new that many have more credits than they know what to do with, and I have many times thought I dont need credits and they are worthless to me. But then I started thinking about why dont I have more of it and why do I find myself actually needing a lot more credits from time to time?
Because I spend it as fast as I aquire it! :? Now that migth seem obvious, but to me it wasnt, since I thought I didnt use that much and expected to have trillions now (which I dont). So where did it all go? Did I just waste it?
Well, some is for sure wasted, for example I bougth nio/tin for 200k per ton a week before I started the Nio Tin Market, just because I was bored. So that was 40billion just wasted. And ofc I increase the number of palaces from time to time, which adds up to 1.5 trillion so far, not counting the price for the BPs or gems, gold and other resources needed. All this is ofc as expected.

But where did the rest go, and why do I still need more? Big plans and projects!
I actually invest a lot of credits into my never ending list of new great expantion to my industrial and trade empire (I think can call it that by now). Examples:
    -When Nio Tin Market was expanded with 200k quantity at each price, I had buy orders up for a total of 600billions. Now that prices have dropped its "only" 300billion that is set aside for these buy orders.
    -My current (secret) project estimates to need an investment of 300-600 billions. All I will say about this is that it doesnt include nio/tin or other excotics in any way.

And those are just from the last 2 months, and I have been doing this for a long time and I keep growing this way. I am only talking about actual need for credits here, not counting consumption of excotics. Actually the never ending need for credits makes me want to sell some of the nio/tin I mine and even feel I get something back for it. When I thougth credits was useless, selling felt like giving away valuable nio/tin and getting stuck with worthless credits.

So why am I rambling on about this? Because we need to be reminded credits can be used! It doesnt have to be just a number we compete about getting as high as possible, it is also something that can create new opportunities, reach new goals or just pay someone else to feed your people giving you more time to accomplish other insane plans :D And as long as some of us do big investments, there is always a few who will work to earn that money to carry their own needs. What I earn today I will invest tomorrow, which again is someone elses income before its reinvested yet again, growing for each iteration. Lets keep growing, we already know the sky is NOT the limit!

And this is the perfect time for big investments, change is coming. Yes, change is horrible, painful, evil, etc. But dont forget the opportunities it brings, new needs, new markets, change in the flow of credits, resources and services. Start now and be ahead of everyone else, do something new without competition and be ready for a new president period. Find new markets (is there something in SM search we all have missed?), build large scale production of something we have only been making small amounts of so far, or create a demand (convince buyers they need something) for something you can already offer. If done well can be very profitable. I have mostly gone for the long term slow investments. Nio Tin Market only gives me 2-3% profit of excotics that is both bougth and sold, but also gives me valuable insigth on excotics trade. Other projects of mine are more in the shadows, and are invisible to the ignorant mind 8-)

I am not going to tell you what to do, just trying to remind you there is lots of possibilties in the galaxy for creative minds :idea:

tl;dr just read the green text
Callsign: Fraaggii or Loke
Senator Loke of Primo Spe, 8086, New Horizon, Skadi, Darkfield and Niu Heimar

Statistics for Nio and Tin prices: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3427
User

davh62

Rank

Captain

Captain

Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:40 pm

UK

Re: Too much credits? Why??

Postby davh62 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:22 am

:D Well written.
I have often inflated my iron buy price to get players to haul iron to a new colony. Yes they can be useful in lots of ways still.
FG Fighters Guild Founder
Senator of Ferrite-Senator of Prime-Senator of Barons Rest- Hater of rams speaking date stamp
User

Moneyman

Rank

Captain

Captain

Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:53 pm

Massachusetts

Postby Moneyman » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:03 pm

:mrgreen: I really don't want to annoy anyone but I think evolution of Ascent players should take the following path:

1. New player Initial evaluation of the game from an outsider's perspective.

2. Community player Learning game in-and-outs and supporting new players.

3. Assetted player Have all the stuff you need and using it to improve game environment.

4. Established player Game stuff is on automatic ... Focus is game resources and maxing player enjoyment.

The only Established player who has completed his evolution is RAM tho many are close.

When the community is a village, its easy to amass lots of stuff but even in a village that is got to be boring.
Last edited by Moneyman on Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User

Loke

Rank

Lieutenant

Lieutenant

Postby Loke » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:58 pm

Moneyman wrote:4. Established player Game stuff is on automatic ... Focus is game resources and maxing player enjoyment.

What I am talking about is for very established players, investments size of hundreds of billions, and probably trillions in the future, as we keep growing. Projects and plans only limited by the credits you have. If you can barely afford it, its the perfect size. If you cant afford it, do it later. If its small to you, think bigger!

Moneyman wrote:The only Established player who has completed his evolution is RAM tho many are close.

I am not good at evolving, so probalby never going to achieve that :lol:

Moneyman wrote:When the community is a village, its easy to amass lots of stuff but even in a village that is got to be boring.

Amassing the same stuff as everyone else, is what I am trying to inspire more to avoid. Think outside the box!
When the npcs were a new thing, Prolapser put up a OSB in Prime buying lots of carbon for 222 per ton, selling it for 444 per ton. At the time buying that much carbon was a big investment, but profit was high when he sold it for twice that. And he could do that because it was a new type of service. After a while many were doing that, and you now need to be bigger or better thanthe others to get some profit out of it.
And thats my point. You need to be first, better or bigger!

Lets say aluminium all of a sudden became in high demand. Someone that anticipated it, could have invested large and stocking up, getting a big profit when demand skyrockets. The smart invester could just buy all the cheap aluminum everyone were trying to get rid of, or build up a colony with large alu production. Maybe find a new high alu planet and build a new gate to it, basicly creating a monoply on alu supply, with good profits until others are able to catch up. The second genius is able to be the big distributer of alu, and get profit from that.
Changes creates possibilities of being first! I have bought graphene up to 45k per ton, wasnt able to buy at its peak of 60k per ton. Now graphene is cheap. My point is changes does happen.

But you dont need to be first if you can be better or bigger. If you find a way to produce more and cheaper than others, quantity will give profit. Same with trade. If someone else is producing beer 100 times more efficently than me, there is no reason for me to build production, since the massive production would give the producer good profit even at low prices. So I would rather try to trade it.

With T2 coming, it will open up for lots of new possibilities somewhere in our ecenomy.
I dont mean all should start doing big investments like this, if you like doing other things, then just keep on doing them. I am only trying to remind those that enjoy big projects, that migth last months before it starts paying back, that there is opportunities. I needed to remind myself that, and after realizing it, I enjoy the game more. Working to aquire what I need, find new projects, overcome the challenges of building bigger and more efficient.
I find it very exciting, which is why I ramble on like this
:D

davh62 wrote::D Well written.
I have often inflated my iron buy price to get players to haul iron to a new colony. Yes they can be useful in lots of ways still.

Its not inflated if thats the price needed for traders to be interested. You are paying for the service of getting it delivered, which is more expensive than going and buying it for cheap and bringing it yourself. Good example, now take it to a bigger scale, can move a lot of iron for 1 trillion I think :D

no avatar
User

RAM

Rank

Commander

Commander

Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:36 am

Postby RAM » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:05 pm

Moneyman wrote:The only Established player who has completed his evolution is RAM tho many are close.

I think he just called me old! :shock: :lol:
Ban cheese slicers. Make Apollo Sector grate again!
Fan Fiction from an old timer - RAM Memories
User

davh62

Rank

Captain

Captain

Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:40 pm

UK

Postby davh62 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:12 pm

RAM wrote:

I think he just called me old! :shock: :lol:

Possibly but he wins the most boring. :D
FG Fighters Guild Founder
Senator of Ferrite-Senator of Prime-Senator of Barons Rest- Hater of rams speaking date stamp
User

Moneyman

Rank

Captain

Captain

Massachusetts

Postby Moneyman » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:07 pm

Loke wrote:
Moneyman wrote:4. Established player Game stuff is on automatic ... Focus is game resources and maxing player enjoyment.

What I am talking about is for very established players, investments size of hundreds of billions, and probably trillions in the future, as we keep growing. Projects and plans only limited by the credits you have. If you can barely afford it, its the perfect size. If you cant afford it, do it later. If its small to you, think bigger!

:mrgreen: You do understand that my village reference is to Ascent player population pre-relaunch?

As to think bigger: My focus is when Ascent player population is in the hundreds of thousands of players.

Don't you think (and I'm beginning to understand you) that five years below ten thousand players is different?

Loke wrote:

I am not good at evolving, so probalby never going to achieve that :lol:

:mrgreen: Not true. I see, already, quite a lot of evolution in your thinking from your recent postings.

Loke wrote:
Moneyman wrote:When the community is a village, its easy to amass lots of stuff but even in a village that is got to be boring.

Amassing the same stuff as everyone else, is what I am trying to inspire more to avoid. Think outside the box!
When the npcs were a new thing, Prolapser put up a OSB in Prime buying lots of carbon for 222 per ton, selling it for 444 per ton. At the time buying that much carbon was a big investment, but profit was high when he sold it for twice that. And he could do that because it was a new type of service. After a while many were doing that, and you now need to be bigger or better thanthe others to get some profit out of it.
And thats my point. You need to be first, better or bigger!

:mrgreen: Environmentally, think EVE rather than Ascent but with Ascent players rather a large developer staff overseeing the game player's actions.

The box that you are in is prelaunch Ascent. Yes, prelaunch wise, above was the smart way to play the game.

That is why, in real game terms, I am Moneyman. An assetted player moving toward established player.

The problem is RL Ascent $$$ being available for game enhancements once the relaunch is initiated. We need a new strategy.

Loke wrote:Lets say aluminium all of a sudden became in high demand. Someone that anticipated it, could have invested large and stocking up, getting a big profit when demand skyrockets. The smart invester could just buy all the cheap aluminum everyone were trying to get rid of, or build up a colony with large alu production. Maybe find a new high alu planet and build a new gate to it, basicly creating a monoply on alu supply, with good profits until others are able to catch up. The second genius is able to be the big distributer of alu, and get profit from that.
Changes creates possibilities of being first! I have bought graphene up to 45k per ton, wasnt able to buy at its peak of 60k per ton. Now graphene is cheap. My point is changes does happen.

But you dont need to be first if you can be better or bigger. If you find a way to produce more and cheaper than others, quantity will give profit. Same with trade. If someone else is producing beer 100 times more efficently than me, there is no reason for me to build production, since the massive production would give the producer good profit even at low prices. So I would rather try to trade it.

With T2 coming, it will open up for lots of new possibilities somewhere in our ecenomy.
I dont mean all should start doing big investments like this, if you like doing other things, then just keep on doing them. I am only trying to remind those that enjoy big projects, that migth last months before it starts paying back, that there is opportunities. I needed to remind myself that, and after realizing it, I enjoy the game more. Working to aquire what I need, find new projects, overcome the challenges of building bigger and more efficient.
I find it very exciting, which is why I ramble on like this
:D

:mrgreen: In many ways, you've just described my trading strategy once I acquired my first Lev.
User

Loke

Rank

Lieutenant

Lieutenant

Postby Loke » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:03 pm

Moneyman wrote: :mrgreen: You do understand that my village reference is to Ascent player population pre-relaunch?

No, you didnt mention anything about prelaunch era. And I am looking forward, not backwards, so didnt get that reference.
Moneyman wrote:As to think bigger: My focus is when Ascent player population is in the hundreds of thousands of players.
Don't you think (and I'm beginning to understand you) that five years below ten thousand players is different?

Good, you have found your thing/interest in this game, and I assume you enjoy that. Others migth get tired of what they are currently doing, and maybe a new idea or goal can re-new their game experince or just give them a reason to enjoy other parts of it. Just like it has for me, everytime I start a new project.
And ofc, yes, the more players the better, a few thousand would be fantastic. Its challenging to do big stuff with few to trade with.

Moneyman wrote: :mrgreen: Environmentally, think EVE rather than Ascent but with Ascent players rather a large developer staff overseeing the game player's actions.

Never played EVE, not sure what you mean here? Large dev staff sounds nice though :) As long as Jam keeps Louie as mascot :D

Moneyman wrote:The box that you are in is prelaunch Ascent. Yes, prelaunch wise, above was the smart way to play the game.

Im in a box :? I have been working so hard to think outside the box :(
I mentioned those as examples of someone doing something new and different at the time. To look forward we need to come up with new services we can provide, being useful to others. New opportunities comes each time there is something changing. When T2 is added, terraforming is fully implemented or if there is a flood of new players, new major demands will follow that we currently arent able to fill. Only time will show what it will be.

Moneyman wrote:That is why, in real game terms, I am Moneyman. An assetted player moving toward established player.

What does assetted mean?
Moneyman wrote:The problem is RL Ascent $$$ being available for game enhancements once the relaunch is initiated. We need a new strategy.

Sounds like a lot of changes new doors of opportunites to me ;) We will just have to wait and see what we get

Moneyman wrote: :mrgreen: In many ways, you've just described my trading strategy once I acquired my first Lev.

Trade in this game is mostly limited by your own creativity or time you can spend on it. But to go really big you have to use a fleet of npcs, unless dealing with rare items of high value.

User

BoshingTong

Rank

Commander

Commander

Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:46 am

South Korea

Postby BoshingTong » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:58 pm

Loke I think you are on the right path. I never have the creds I need because I have the Cube in Prime that will trade at a fair price for anything. I am always buying. Most of the time I sell as well but I have fixed my prices to be fair. My hope is that it gives newer players a place to find what they need to build or a place to sell what most of the big miners eject. My goal is to have what ever anyone needs at a reasonable price or to buy what ever someone is selling. Thus most of my creds just go out the window.
Owner of BSFA (Bosh Survey & Freightage Authority)
Senator of Logopolis, New Dawn, Babylon
Governor of Poosh, Tigland, Prime Sun, Babel

Mayor of all BSFA Colonies & OSBs
User

Moneyman

Rank

Captain

Captain

Massachusetts

Postby Moneyman » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:02 pm

Loke wrote:

What does assetted mean?

:mrgreen: By established player I mean a player with 2+ years experience with Ascent.

New player, currently, means just a few days of Ascent play because we quickly integrate players into the Ascent community.

Generally, it takes some play time to develop trading, mining and building skills.

An assetted player is a smaller scale version of a established player
Next