User

jam

Rank

Developer

Developer

Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:24 pm

Rules

Postby jam » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:32 am

"The only things in here that are real, are our feelings - so play nice!" -Plaque on the floor somewhere in Second Life

This is pretty overdue really. At no point have I ever sat down and really codified what is and is not acceptable behaviour in this game. We've got some stuff about it in the Eula, but it's important to state it elsewhere as well.

Principles: My vision of Ascent is that one day it becomes the game which literally everyone can play some part of and enjoy. You can already see this in the diversity of players - all ages, races, genders and backgrounds are well represented. You might not realise it, but 45% of visitors to our website are female, and 39% are 35 or older, 11% are 55 and up. So when you're talking in chat or in any way affecting anyone else's gameplay, don't forget that there could be children listening (anyone can play A-TSG, you've all seen how easy it is at first) or you could be messing with some 65yo retiree who just wants to build up her colonies. Be mindful that everyone's different, and everyone likes different things - and that this is everyone's game.

But we can only reach that goal if all player 'types' can get along, and accept each others' place in the universe. And in some cases, inevitably, that means some of us need to moderate our behaviour.

You are free to do whatever you want in A-TSG, so long as you do not prevent others from doing the same or cause others not to enjoy doing the same. Where we have resource conflicts, there are rules to manage them. Outside the red zone, your property is sacrosanct and players are prevented from impacting it.

Chat: Be polite and nice in chat. Remember anyone could be listening in - it's a very public forum so keep it G rated please.

Harassment: Harassment has a simple definition in these rules. If you're doing something that affects someone else, and they ask you to stop, continuing is harassment - and against the rules. This rule is, by design, unenforceable in the Red Zone.

Real world Harassment: Real World Harassment is where you are doing something which affects the PERSON rather than the CHARACTER. This has a different definition - doing it at all is against the rules, and nobody has to ask you to stop - don't even start. This is anything from insults (just don't do it) to any kind of slur against race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, political leanings etc. None of these things belong in A-TSG - leave them behind when you log in.

Griefing: There are many people who get a kick out of causing emotional distress in others. If this describes you, understand the following: A-TSG is the game for you, but you need to moderate your behaviour to stay within the rules. Firstly, it's important to me that you follow your usual procedure and find all the ways this can be done that I might not have intended. It's important you find them and then tell me about them - they're all bugs, so a bug report is appropriate. Secondly, it's important that you focus the bulk of your darker intentions onto NPCs. These are (predominantly) not backed by real world people whose feelings you can hurt. As the game progresses, I will absolutely be adding functionality whereby you can build an evil empire of suffering and tragedy and completely explore your dark side - without ever harming a real person. Last, it's important where you do impact other players - that you play the role of the 'gentleman villain', or 'lady villain'. Think Moriarty in Sherlock Holmes, or Whatshisname, Geoffrey Rush's character in the pirates of the Caribbean series. The role of a Villain is to create dramatic tension - to enhance the experience for everyone concerned. If you find yourself passing that point, stop - or don't be surprised if you're reported for harassment.

Cheating or exploiting: If you find away to obtain unintended advantage within the game systems, you must report it immediately, preferably via PM to me, and avoid using it. If something feels way overpowered or doesn't look right, check it with me (people do this all the time). Understand that this is for the good of the game. Furthermore, attempting to "hack" the client or figure out its communications with the server is an insta-bannable offence. Understand that when you start doing this, I will see it. This game "feels real" to the people playing it - that's why it's fun and rewarding. If you interfere with the fabric of that "reality" you're taking away from other peoples' fun, which is against the rules.

Consequences: Banning someone is a one-liner activity for me. It takes about 20-30 seconds depending what I'm logged into at the time. There's no rule anywhere that says this company owes you bandwidth and server CPU time to mess with other players and break the rules. There just isn't. We can refund stuff if we have to, but I'm not keen on it. Understand that the real cost of these activities is that it takes time away from development. In effect, it slows down Ascent's ascent into further awesomeness. It takes time for me to investigate stuff, see the evidence, and act. And that won't ever stop me from doing it, because players having fun is the whole point, and I'll defend that to the last.
...............................................................................................................................................
Thanks for playing, thanks for posting, and thanks for your feedback!
User

Vargas

Rank

Lt Commander

Lt Commander

Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:40 pm

Re: Rules

Postby Vargas » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:18 pm

Yes finally! I get to play nice with all the boys and girls now.

I do have a question though.

Jam wrote:Harassment: Harassment has a simple definition in these rules. If you're doing something that affects someone else, and they ask you to stop, continuing is harassment.

'I'm trying to mine Colombite and someone else is taking them before me, I ask them to stop, they continue to do it preventing me from obtaining materials.'

'Jacarie is attempting to sell items to another player but Vargas is stealing them before her intended buyer can purchase them. She asks Vargas to stop but they continue as they want the products too.'

Do these both count as harassment?
The Peoples New Eden Alliance. We learnt from history.
User

Johneaux

Rank

Commander

Commander

Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:25 pm

Straya mate

Postby Johneaux » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:32 pm

yes, theres a lot of stealth ninja grabs of the market...

Need a private player to player trade system

currently best to sell to each other is at vastly overpriced values then a vastly over priced return sale of 1 grain or sunnink to recompense

Best not to advertise the sale in channel and chat privately either on facebook chat or irc
Johneaux
Senator - Epoch, Far Kurnell
============================
Previously known as Newuser57
Working for the interest of the common citizen since January 2013
User

Johneaux

Rank

Commander

Commander

Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:25 pm

Straya mate

Postby Johneaux » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:35 pm

jam wrote:
Cheating or exploiting: If you find away to obtain unintended advantage within the game systems, you must report it immediately, preferably via PM to me, and avoid using it. If something feels way overpowered or doesn't look right, check it with me (people do this all the time). Understand that this is for the good of the game. Furthermore, attempting to "hack" the client or figure out its communications with the server is an insta-bannable offence. Understand that when you start doing this, I will see it. This game "feels real" to the people playing it - that's why it's fun and rewarding. If you interfere with the fabric of that "reality" you're taking away from other peoples' fun, which is against the rules.

Damn.. you spoil all the fun
Johneaux
Senator - Epoch, Far Kurnell
============================
Previously known as Newuser57
Working for the interest of the common citizen since January 2013
no avatar
User

Jacarie

Rank

Lt Commander

Lt Commander

Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:48 pm

Postby Jacarie » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:37 pm

Vargas wrote:Yes finally! I get to play nice with all the boys and girls now.

Jam wrote:Harassment: Harassment has a simple definition in these rules. If you're doing something that affects someone else, and they ask you to stop, continuing is harassment.

'I'm trying to mine Colombite and someone else is taking them before me, I ask them to stop, they continue to do it preventing me from obtaining materials.'

'Jacarie is attempting to sell items to another player but Vargas is stealing them before her intended buyer can purchase them. She asks Vargas to stop but they continue as they want the products too.'

I think that both of these will be dealt with in the hopefully near future.

1. Once JAM turns on the Roid belts in the other systems then this really won't be an issue. As I have had it happen to me and getting worse as more and more players get into the game. Unintentionally I hope it was, but I think I was more upset by knowing that they were getting only maybe 10 niobium out of the roid and I get 50 out of the roid, then them jumping in front of me and grabbing it.

2. This one will be fixed by JAM adding the Player to Player Contracts so it wont even come up on the GM so there will be no way of being a "ninja" or being a "Villain" (I have other words I can call it but wont) and grabbing it before the intended buyer.

On a side note if you set yourself up to be a "Villain" and still want the products also that other players produce. Just remember your the one who wanted to be the "Villain" Don't get upset if other player don't want to trade or sale their wares to you.
no avatar
User

jam

Rank

Developer

Developer

Postby jam » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:39 pm

Vargas wrote:Yes finally! I get to play nice with all the boys and girls now.

Depends on the situation, particularly your intent. Knowing you? It's probably harassment. The question I've got for you is... do you want me to stop developing domes, pushing PVP back even further, to come and investigate and make a judgement?
...............................................................................................................................................
User

Vargas

Rank

Lt Commander

Lt Commander

Postby Vargas » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:37 pm

Jacarie wrote:2. This one will be fixed by JAM adding the Player to Player Contracts so it wont even come up on the GM so there will be no way of being a "ninja" or being a "Villain" (I have other words I can call it but wont I know which words they are :)) and grabbing it before the intended buyer.

On a side note if you set yourself up to be a "Villain" and still want the products also that other players produce. Just remember your the one who wanted to be the "Villain" Don't get upset if other player don't want to trade or sale their wares to you.

I wouldn't get upset if players refused to sell to me. If anything it would be more of what I want. I want this game to be hard and brutal so I create that environment for myself.

jam wrote:Depends on the situation, particularly your intent. Knowing you? It's probably harassment.

1: I genuinely wanted the item because I needed it.
2: Will I be continually discriminated against in any cases because of previous actions? Will I have greater punishments than others?
User

rmartz

Rank

Rear Admiral

Rear Admiral

Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:37 pm

Postby rmartz » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:20 pm

Vargas wrote:1: I genuinely wanted the item because I needed it.
2: Will I be continually discriminated against in any cases because of previous actions? Will I have greater punishments than others?

As alliances are forming, you will find yourself without much support. Natural consequences of actions, not punishment.

You have sniped at least one, I think several, items I was going to buy. We are finding ways of eliminating the damage of this. You may get it, but it will cost you.

I think the game is ultimately enhanced by people playing as you play. It reminds us of the dangers and conflicts in the world. You will find that others will not be as forgiving and you will be and have been targeted for revenge. My suspicion is that the game will loose its; interest to you long before any PvP is really opened up. Others will come to take your place, but there has been a strong foothold of those who want to build community and you and your type will find it very hard to get a solid foothold. You will win a few battles, but you are loosing the war.

So, snipe away at me. I also enjoy the word games (without the guttural slang). Please be careful that you do not do that with everyone. Some do not take it so lightly and it does diminish their enjoyment of the game. We need more players not less. Please use me as your target all you want. I am happy to be your adversary, but you will be confused often by my responses and reactions.

My attempt to map the red zone is real and I am happy to help you find your boundaries for enjoyment too. I will also make weapons for those who will go up against you when the time comes. The Colt 45 was called the Peacemaker. I am sure I can come up with like names for mine. 8-)
Ingame accounts: RAM, rmartz
Check out RAM Memories.
Visit AscentExtras.com for player built game tools, guilds, and links to game related data.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
no avatar
User

jam

Rank

Developer

Developer

Postby jam » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:37 pm

Vargas wrote:
jam wrote:Depends on the situation, particularly your intent. Knowing you? It's probably harassment.

1: I genuinely wanted the item because I needed it.

1: And this just keeps happening with every item Jac puts up eh
2: Are you borrowing trouble or what? Has anything happened yet? What previous actions? Are you saying you harass people regularly?
3: It's now clear to me why everyone has a policy of never publicly discussing moderation or GM actions on open fora.
User

Vargas

Rank

Lt Commander

Lt Commander

Postby Vargas » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:10 pm

jam wrote:1: And this just keeps happening with every item Jac puts up eh
2: Are you borrowing trouble or what? Has anything happened yet? What previous actions? Are you saying you harass people regularly?
3: It's now clear to me why everyone has a policy of never publicly discussing moderation or GM actions on open fora.

1: It was just the 1 item with Jac but it's a good example as Jac is the most vocal of my opponents on the forums and in game.

2: Not specifically based on trouble I've caused that can be punished. I want to know if my account will be looked upon in an unfavourable way due to my nature and, lack of, mannerisms.
Next