User

gotpurplefleas

Rank

Commander

Commander

Wed May 13, 2015 6:21 pm

Re: To Core Gates

Postby gotpurplefleas » Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:36 pm

RAM wrote:Should we just keep going to Midway? We could do in in a few months or so, especially with returning players. I still have not found a good connection for Sol I. I can keep looking as we finish out to Midway. Star of the Sea is just past that. That could be picked up too.

I'm sure the players in Midway and Star of the Sea would appreciate that effort...npcs could finally get there, and they have been storing up massive quantities of materials to help with gates further along the TC corridor. Infrastructure to the surrounding area is nearly completed by now, and they are thriving. To connect this community to the inners would open up a world of possibilities to new players. It would be a good thing...yes
gotpurplefleas
no avatar
User

scistu

Rank

2nd Lieutenant

2nd Lieutenant

Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:06 pm

Postby scistu » Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:09 am

gotpurplefleas wrote:
RAM wrote:Should we just keep going to Midway? We could do in in a few months or so, especially with returning players. I still have not found a good connection for Sol I. I can keep looking as we finish out to Midway. Star of the Sea is just past that. That could be picked up too.

I'm sure the players in Midway and Star of the Sea would appreciate that effort...npcs could finally get there, and they have been storing up massive quantities of materials to help with gates further along the TC corridor. Infrastructure to the surrounding area is nearly completed by now, and they are thriving. To connect this community to the inners would open up a world of possibilities to new players. It would be a good thing...yes

So I've been brooding on this for a bit. I'll start by saying that I would love to see gate connections out to the core and I recognize the contributions and efforts that various players have made in settling the core. I certainly also sympathize with how difficult it can be to bootstrap infrastructure in far off regions of space- I sharply remember making a dozen GG-skimming re-fueling stops each (and per) supply trip out to a far (10k+ ly) colony, all just to carry enough mats for a few domes; doubly difficult since all we had at the time were Archons.

But let's go over the numbers first; TC20 is 3412 ly from MIDWAY, and then there is an additional 3872 ly to cross to reach Star of the Sea. If we could perfectly line up successive gates (which we can't), and assume 40 ly's between each gate, we are left with 85 gates remaining to reach MIDWAY and another 97 gates to reach Star of the Sea after that.

That's 182 gates in total. At best we're ~10% of the way there. Based on the MG calculator, the remaining mat requirements would be a total of >34 bil iron, nearly 5 bil carbon, 15 mil prom, and 90 mil each of nio and tin, and then 15 mil mech parts. (feel free to check my math)

The material requirements don't actually seem all that daunting to me, especially if more players are returning.
But- the prospect of purchasing (with SC), building, and then abandoning 182 OSB's or colonies gives me the willies, not to mention hauling all the mats to the gates. Additionally, if the npc's are waiting 15 minutes for each gate, the round trip time ends up in excess of 100 hours- the farther we are along in the gate chain, the more we'd get diminishing returns on how quickly we can keep the supply OSB stocked with mats for the next gate. At this point it almost seems to me like we're trying to force a very square (and sharp) peg into a round hole. We just don't have the tools in game to expand in this fashion; not unless (or until) longer range gates come into play, or some other mechanic we haven't thought of yet.

Also it seems to me that the precondition for that many players returning is for terraforming to go live; which by itself could end up being the community focus instead of building a couple hundred gates.

Any other thoughts?

*Edit* I was playing with the MG gate calc and noticed that at 40 ly, we're spending 4.2 mil iron per ly; at 500 ly gate, we're spending ~10 mil iron per ly and for a 1000 ly gate we're spending 12 mil iron per ly. The rest of the mats follow the same ratio. If we really are material heavy, we might also consider biting the bullet on material cost to reduce the number of gates we'd have to build- though we'd still have to spend a lot of time supplying the mega-gate manually. Just a suggestion, I have a lot of colonies to tend to by now, haha.
no avatar
User

RAM

Rank

Captain

Captain

Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:36 am

Postby RAM » Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:20 pm

Bump for Leprosi.

We are trying to head towards Midway.
"The UNCA is not your boss!" ~ Jessica Steele
Fan Fiction from an old timer - RAM Memories
User

Leprosi

Rank

Lt Commander

Lt Commander

Mon May 04, 2015 11:31 pm

Zephrondus - Turtle Strippers Consortium

Postby Leprosi » Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:12 pm

Iron and carbon are flowing down the pipeline for the reach to Midway. We should have enough materials collected for several gate pairs. OSB TSCTC20 is the collection point and will have the capacity by the end of today 8/30/21 for shipments to begin arriving. The strategic materials plan is to have small fleets moving in between no more than 6 gates and increasing the fleets as the number of gates increase. Currently there will be large collection depots every 10 gates. The collection point from the area around the Inner 9 is Ultima either at TSC U (hosted by the Turtle Strippers Club Consortium) or Blue Sky (hosted by fatoldguy, Senator of Ultima).
I would like to invite my fellow Senators and explorers to join the quest to the core! Thank you to the mappers and builders who started this project. Your work has made this work much easier.
Leprosi

Senator
Previous