User

darkwhistle

Rank

2nd Lieutenant

2nd Lieutenant

Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:49 pm

Let's have a talk about giving stuff to new players

Postby darkwhistle » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:40 am

I think it's time we had a talk about giving stuff to new players. I think our community is one of the finest group of people in the gaming world, and I'm the last person that could complain about gifts, having been on the receiving end of some very generous gifts myself (after I had already worked my way past class 10 and into premium). However, I don't think that permanently giving a new player a far more expensive ship than they have earned is a good idea. There are three reasons behind that: First, you have just deprived the player of the "easy levelling" experience that commercial game designers have determined through trial and error is a potent hook to hang one to new players. Second, you have just invalidated the hard work that they have already done, and the self sufficiency that they had previously demonstrated, to get to whatever point they had already accomplished. Third, the player wont be invested in their shiny new toy, since it was free. Maybe they will learn to think that everything else that they might want should be handed to them on a silver platter. Maybe they wont want to put in the time and effort this game requires.

Advice and encouragement in chat is a great thing. Demonstrating the true spirit of this community is a great thing. However, there ain't no such thing as a free lunch. In this case, we may be paying for excessive generosity bestowed on new players by convincing them to try a different game that actually seems to appreciate and reward time and effort spent.
User

LadyHawk

Rank

Lt Commander

Lt Commander

Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:25 pm

Re: Let's have a talk about giving stuff to new players

Postby LadyHawk » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:43 pm

Regretfully, I have to agree with Dark on this one. I regret it because it is so uplifting to see the community catch fire with the desire to 'pay it forward' but even that side of generosity turns negative when it becomes almost a contest who can give first or the most LOL

Its not fair to people like Moon, who is making his living here building ships. I agree with Dark, that it takes away the sense of accomplishment new players feel when they earn their way into a bigger ship. And, in the worst cases, some new players develop
a sense of entitlement to gifts. Much as I enjoyed giving myself, the last straw was when I witnessed a player who had been given
a mature roid field by one of our very generous vets, complain an hour later when he was done stripping it, that he needed more of them
and grew angry when none were offered.

We need to stick to being generous with help and advice but refrain from giving outright gifts of ships, etc.
no avatar
User

RAM

Rank

Captain

Captain

Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:36 am

Re: Let's have a talk about giving stuff to new players

Postby RAM » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:14 pm

What I have done before was to not eject the last load while mining, jump to a SS and post the stuff I would normally eject to a newer player as a little gift. This way, they still have to do some to receive the benefit of the generosity, while still giving someone a little of a step up.

I do agree that free information and a relaxed play style is a great gift in itself.
"The UNCA is not your boss!" ~ Jessica Steele
Fan Fiction from an old timer - RAM Memories