Loke

Rank

Commander

Commander

Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:39 pm

Cooperation with players that arent heavy miners, need ideas

Postby Loke » Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:21 pm

Hello there,
So, Im looking for a new project to work on again, as I dont really have anything to do in game after I shut down the terraforming project. But I also want to try and improve the things for players who are not into spending redicules amount of hours on mining and open up more opportunities for them. As I think the game is currently a bit limiting if you are not able to acquire larger amounts of mined resources.
Over the years of playing this game, some of the most interesting things has been cooperating with other players enjoying doing differnt things than myself. Like Pyth who liked selling uranium to SS contracts, the players who joined the project of supplying iron in Cannibal carbs by buulding colonies there viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4141 or all the customers of Nio Tin Market that were able to get the resources they needed while I only needed look at the prices to know what to mine.
I havent done anything like that in a long time, since the issues with stockmarkets made it a nightmare in the end. But now the biggest issue seems to be fixed and they update properly every 24 hours, which opens the doors to doing more stuff again.

The reason why I bring this up now is a post from fleas, that reminded me of some issues and limitations for many in this game. But I think it also opens up opportunities for more cooperation between differnt type of players. And using the SMs is a good tool fot such things as its not necessary to be online at the same time etc. I didnt want to reply on fleas post in the thread for mining yield modification, as I have already spammed enough there lol, and I dont think I would be able to reply while staying on topic there. Here is fleas post:

gotpurplefleas wrote:hi all...o/

I may not be an authoritative voice in this discussion. I actually don't think I ever was. The reason for this is that, when I failed to locate the resources of the "rares", I surrendered to the concept that I would just need to go without and to focus on the parts of the game that didn't depend on them...or I would need to coerce the player economy to acquire the required resources...all while putting aside the projects that I felt I could attain some level of success in the game. All things Ascent require time, commitment, and usually an intelligence that does not come easily to most...all of which are needed in real life as well.

My point is this...if you ever want to appeal to the "Huddled Masses" you may want to try and dumb this down a bit...add "rares" to the AI economy so that a single player with a moderate amount of time, commitment, and intelligence can hope to succeed...and be done with it. As it is, I don't think growth is out of line with a moderate effort...but there is definitely a threshold in mining that many do no cross.

fleas

Not 100% I fully understand this post, but I think "rares" mainly refers to prom, nio an tin here?
If so, does the Nio Tin Market already solve some of it? And if we had something similar for prom everyone would only need enough credits to get the resources needed, and avoid heavy mining if thats not their thing?
That would need some balance between the players involed, as in having a 2 way (or more) flow of credits between us. As a player who enjoys mining and always need more credits, I basicaly need ideas for projects where I put up my credits for others to earn and then spend them buying mined resources back from me (and similar).

If you are a player who dont mine, there are currently very few ways of earning credits (and none for earing credits from other players?). The main way would be hauling stuff to the LM, but thats not too much fun and very simialr to a Singleplayer mechanic. There are many things the game does well and can be spent so many hours doing and enjoy, like exploring, building colonies and OSBs, setting up trade routes and so on, but none of them earns you any credits currently. If you start building a colony you are for sure going to have less than before you started, mainly because we produce more than we need of everything that can be made at colonies and OSBs. Same issue kills anything related to trading between players in most cases. But there are ways of avoiding this issue. As soon as you leave the gated network of systems, you suddenly dont have easy access to the overflooded markets, like what we had during the iron project in cannibalcarbs.

So one idea could be starting up fresh so far out that its basicly impossible to bring anything with us of ressourses we already have (can just reach with a Lev filled with hydrogen fopr example). That brings lots of new challenges to solve and overcome we could do together: exploring to find planets with good minerals, foods, skimmable GGs and new astroid fields for everything we need. Would probably want to gate the systems that are useful. Trade would be necessary since no one can supply everything themselves and a complete open market economy out there, since there is no LMs close by. But these are just ideas friom the top of my head, Im at the brainstorming part of a project, just throwing ideas out there.
And I really would like to hear your ideas too. What could be interesting challenges, what tasks do you like doing in the game and would be fun to get credits for doing and then spending credits to not have to do tasks you dont enjoy (its a good chance I enjoy doing those taskts for credits).

I think a thread here on the forum for sharing information and discussion would be a good gathering place for such a project when we actually start. SM the main tool in game. In game chat probably too, but that doesnt work for players in diffenrt time zones, and personally I multitask other things while playing, so often hard for me to use chat that much while playing
Callsign: Fraaggii or Loke
Mining yield calculator: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0
RAM wrote: Loving the SiFi but Loke got his first.
User

Loke

Rank

Commander

Commander

Re: Cooperation with players that arent heavy miners, need i

Postby Loke » Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:25 pm

tldr
I want ideas for new challenges. What do like to do in game? What do you not like to do. What would be a interesting task to do while earing credits from other players? And what tasks would be nice to spend credits to avoid doing?
Im at a brainstorming stage for my next project and welcome any idea for what we can do in game to make it more interesting for each other. Not ideas for asking Jam to fix.
User

Mooncrest

Rank

Commodore

Commodore

Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:19 pm

MITH Menzel 3

Postby Mooncrest » Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:10 pm

A point I would like to make is:

The "rares" fleas is talking about are the products of Aurostibite, Bastnaesite asteroids viz. Antimony, Gold, Cerium and Yttrium.

Both fleas and I have never found a field containing either asteroid in all the time we have been playing; we have both been playing for years, Nov 2014 for me and May 2015 for fleas. Further, I was ceded a field containing a Bastnaesite asteroid, so I could mine it and, despite, mining this field for real time years, another Bastnaesite asteroid has never spawned.

Other players have had more luck than fleas and myself. So, maybe we are just "unlucky". But is is our opinion that these asteroids should not be so rare. As we have developed our characters, it would have been nice to be able to build the items and structures that access to these minerals allows. As I have said, I was ceded the product of one Bastnaesite and have been very frugally using the Cerium and Yttrium from this asteroid, but now I do not have enough left to make any module that is useful to me.

Although there are Stock Markets selling Antimony and Gold and, there are some sales orders for Antimony and Gold on the GM, there are no Stock Markets selling Yttrium or Cerium, nor are there any sales orders on the GM for these materials.
no avatar
User

RAM

Rank

Captain

Captain

Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:36 am

Postby RAM » Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:15 pm

Silicon filter and soil sample probes will hit the game next week, well this week, if I understand Jam correctly. This will open up a good avenue of exploration. Since the launcher for the probes and BP for the probes must be purchased, some can explore while others reap the rewards of their DLC.

I am kind of holding more exploration until it hits. Once it does, I plan to be the first to purchase and use it.

Not sure of this is what you are looking for, but the new additions will start to add new paths for us. Not sure what all of those will be since some people get very creative with tools in game.
"The UNCA is not your boss!" ~ Jessica Steele
Fan Fiction from an old timer - RAM Memories
User

Mooncrest

Rank

Commodore

Commodore

Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:19 pm

MITH Menzel 3

Postby Mooncrest » Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:29 pm

RAM wrote:Silicon filter and soil sample probes will hit the game next week, well this week, if I understand Jam correctly. This will open up a good avenue of exploration. Since the launcher for the probes and BP for the probes must be purchased, some can explore while others reap the rewards of their DLC.

I am kind of holding more exploration until it hits. Once it does, I plan to be the first to purchase and use it.

Not sure of this is what you are looking for, but the new additions will start to add new paths for us. Not sure what all of those will be since some people get very creative with tools in game.

I'm looking forward to this very much. I will also be one of the first to purchase these DLC. I hope that we can purchase multiple Launchers as I will need one for my alt, Pom. I'd like to buy another Hawk for him as well, if Jam can make that possible.
no avatar
User

RAM

Rank

Captain

Captain

Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:36 am

Postby RAM » Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:42 pm

Mooncrest wrote:I hope that we can purchase multiple Launchers as I will need one for my alt, Pom. I'd like to buy another Hawk for him as well, if Jam can make that possible.

I thought we could already buy more than one hawk. Is that not the case? I only got mine at the kickstarter, so not sure myself. If that is the case, I will talk to him about it.
"The UNCA is not your boss!" ~ Jessica Steele
Fan Fiction from an old timer - RAM Memories
User

Loke

Rank

Commander

Commander

Postby Loke » Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:34 pm

Mooncrest wrote:A point I would like to make is:

The "rares" fleas is talking about are the products of Aurostibite, Bastnaesite asteroids viz. Antimony, Gold, Cerium and Yttrium.

Thx, thats very helpful. I think I could make a "rares" market to buy and sell those. Would probably be only 1 price for each item though, so not like Nio Tin Marklet where it goes up or down as people buy and sell. Cant get enough stocks of them for that. So suggestions for prices would be needed. I will keep the 50 million per ton for yttrium though, since I had that for years. I think it should be 100 millions, considering how rare it is, but I just mined my bast and planning to sell the left overs I wont need, and it feels wrong to double the price as I start selling.
I should be able to provide good amounts of gold, antimoney, neorucrystals, ADNA and somewhat cerium (I dont have any need for that myself). Is gems also of interest?

Mooncrest wrote:Both fleas and I have never found a field containing either asteroid in all the time we have been playing; we have both been playing for years, Nov 2014 for me and May 2015 for fleas. Further, I was ceded a field containing a Bastnaesite asteroid, so I could mine it and, despite, mining this field for real time years, another Bastnaesite asteroid has never spawned.
Feel your pain. Took me 3 years to find one, dont expect to ever see another. Ive been super scared of mining it, in fear of failing at temeprature, so releaved it was succesful. Kinda had to mine it now before yield is nerf, was the last chance to see if our numbers for base of yttrium and cerium was correct, and it is! My plan of waiting until it was record size failed though

Mooncrest wrote:Other players have had more luck than fleas and myself. So, maybe we are just "unlucky". But is is our opinion that these asteroids should not be so rare. As we have developed our characters, it would have been nice to be able to build the items and structures that access to these minerals allows. As I have said, I was ceded the product of one Bastnaesite and have been very frugally using the Cerium and Yttrium from this asteroid, but now I do not have enough left to make any module that is useful to me.

Although there are Stock Markets selling Antimony and Gold and, there are some sales orders for Antimony and Gold on the GM, there are no Stock Markets selling Yttrium or Cerium, nor are there any sales orders on the GM for these materials.
User

Loke

Rank

Commander

Commander

Postby Loke » Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:39 pm

RAM wrote:Silicon filter and soil sample probes will hit the game next week, well this week, if I understand Jam correctly. This will open up a good avenue of exploration. Since the launcher for the probes and BP for the probes must be purchased, some can explore while others reap the rewards of their DLC.

Thx for sharing, could be useful for coming up with the ideas I am looking for, so definetly relevant for this thread

I am also looking for ideas how to avoid projects being to 1 person dependent. Like if Im gone from the game for a few months that shouldnt stop the fun for the other involved players. Im happy to put in a lot of resources and effort initially, but would like project that keeps going forward without spesific players being very active in game at any time