Mooncrest

Rank

Commodore

Commodore

Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:19 pm

MITH Menzel 3

Trading with an Abandoned OSB - An Experiment

Postby Mooncrest » Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:30 pm

I have an asteroid field that I would like to test the chances of spawning a Bastnaesite asteroid. The field only contains Autunite and Angrite asteroids, so it is also a source of saleable resources. I did not want to spend time mining and then jumping to another system when my hold was full, so I created an OSB in the system with significant storage so I could mine the field then deposit the resources at the OSB and pick them up from there when I had finished mining.

OSBs cost SP to build, but also, SPs to maintain. If I could abandon the OSB and still trade with it, this would remove the maintenance cost. As no-one was sure if an abandoned OSB could still trade, I decided to conduct this experiment.

I set up the Stock Market(SM) for the OSB to buy food, fuel and all the standard resources. I, also, set up the SM to sell the OSBs waste products, fuel and the resources found in the system at a price 1cr greater than the buy price. I left the OSB with stores of food, fuel and the standard resources to provide an initial revenue stream.

I have now abandoned the OSB and had my alt mine the asteroids and trade with the OSB.

I have found the following:
  • When selling to the OSB, the Demand amount updates correctly, but the Available amount does not update at all
  • When buying from the OSB, the Available amount updates correctly, even taking into account any sales previously made, but the Demand Amount does not update at all

This means that in order for the system to work satisfactorily, when buying from the OSB, always leave at least 1 unit of the resource in stock

At this point the OSB has not been abandoned long enough to test if the numbers get updated during the overnight update run as all player SMs do. I will report on this at a later time.

For now though it seem that, if you are careful enough to leave at least 1 unit of stock at the OSB, it is possible to trade with the SM of an abandoned OSB.
no avatar
User

Shindi

Rank

Midshipman

Midshipman

Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:06 pm

Re: Trading with an Abandoned OSB - An Experiment

Postby Shindi » Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:31 pm

Did you set the minimum quantity to keep for the sell items to a value more than one?

Thanks for doing this test. I have been wondering about this myself.

-Shindi
User

Mooncrest

Rank

Commodore

Commodore

MITH Menzel 3

Postby Mooncrest » Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:02 pm

Shindi wrote:Did you set the minimum quantity to keep for the sell items to a value more than one?

-Shindi

Yes, I set the 'sell down to' quantity to zero. The OSB is only there for storage and has no manufacturing capability at all, so does not need any raw materials.

In this way, if you use it to store resources gathered from mining you can buy them all back, provided any other players using the OSB don't try to sneak an extra unit by taking all that is for sale.

If you do buy all the units of any commodity that are for sale, I believe that you will have to wait until after the 'daily update' until any of this resource, that you subsequently deposit, will be available to buy back.
User

Mooncrest

Rank

Commodore

Commodore

MITH Menzel 3

Postby Mooncrest » Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:38 am

Shindi wrote:Did you set the minimum quantity to keep for the sell items to a value more than one?

-Shindi

When I said you need to keep 1 of the item in stock, I really meant you need to keep at least 1 of the item up for sale. This allows you to purchase that one and the for sale quantity will update to the current quantity in stock. It is an anomaly that when you sell to the SM the buy order quantity is updated, but the sell quantity is not and vice versa. I assume that this is because of some coding difficulty pairing buy order(s) with sell order(s) for the same commodity. If you forget to leave one of the commodity up for sale than the for sale quantity will not be updated until the next daily update.
no avatar
User

RAM

Rank

Captain

Captain

Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:36 am

Postby RAM » Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:29 pm

I am currently using NPC missions to get an abandoned colony back to functioning. These are what the new NPC missions are for currently. Once I figure it all out. I will make sure to post a thread and should add a WIKI page about it too.
"The UNCA is not your boss!" ~ Jessica Steele
Fan Fiction from an old timer - RAM Memories