User

stagc2002

Rank

Lieutenant

Lieutenant

Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:47 pm

Gems discussion

Postby stagc2002 » Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:37 am

I have recently been mining Gems in order to build more Palaces (target is 70 Palaces of Knowledge to attain 1000% Research Rate, I currently have 30 giving 500%)
I have 3 Gem Worlds discovered but unfortunately they are Planets and all 3 are in excess of 10,000km in diameter, this makes the surface area huge and the Gem Clusters are so widely spread that I spent 3 hours scanning one and never yet found a cluster.
I consulted Dataus and found it had 5 Gem worlds discovered and also Public, I eventually went to Johneaux-142 Moon 12 and to date have already mined over 2000 gems and I believe I have only covered approximately 30% of the Moon surface ( this Moon has a diameter of around 700km and the clusters are quite tightly deposited.
My current set up is a Class 15 Mining Beam (bigger beam better due to yield calculation) and I have a Deep Core Mining Skill of 19. Current yield is 36 to 43 gems per cluster.
What I did do and this is just a personal preference I dropped 2000 Core Sampling Probes (it took only 3 minutes to completely evaluate the whole Moon) When I activated the overlay it gives a much better guide to manage direction and orientation and also helps with altitude perception. There is also another huge benefit in doing this, it lays a visible Line around the world through both poles which gives a very good point of reference, you can then circumvent the world in an east to west or west to east direction and you will immediately know when you have completed one revolution, you can then re-position your ship a few kilometres to the North or South and continue with another latitudinal pass
When it comes to actually finding Gems Worlds I had been following the technique that Doodstamper swears by and that is only "bumping" a world with a Gem Scanner fitted. I had been trying this with zero success so, I went to each of the known Gem Worlds on Dataus and "bumped" them. None of them indicated Gems on initial contact, not until I started flying across the surface did I get the indication "no gem clusters in this area"
Doodstampers technique may work but I believe it is hit or miss if you actually "bump" the planet in the correct location. I have since started to land and EVA to collect a sample as this is the only 100% method to find Gem Traces.
Finally on the efficiency of the Gem Scanner, I currently have a class 1 fitted and I have as yet not tried a larger class of Scanner, not sure if a larger class scanner would have an enhanced range but I will eventually try once I research higher class Scanners, if anyone knows the answer to this please let me know to save me the time of Up classing Scanners
no avatar
User

RAM

Rank

Commodore

Commodore

Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:36 am

Re: Gems discussion

Postby RAM » Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:02 pm

Upclassing the gem scanner does nothing. Jam said it did nothing and some even tried it and found no benefit.
"The UNCA is not your boss!" ~ Jessica Steele
Fan Fiction from an old timer - RAM Memories
no avatar
User

stagc2002

Rank

Lieutenant

Lieutenant

Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:47 pm

Re: Gems discussion

Postby stagc2002 » Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:10 am

ty for saving my research time