User

seikatsukira

Rank

Commander

Commander

Tue May 06, 2014 2:43 am

Mining Beams - how they work

Postby seikatsukira » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:42 pm

I have seen several different explanations from different people about exactly how higher class mining beams work.

Can you please tell us exactly how mining yields change with mining beam class?

And if possible how mining skill interacts with mining beam levels?
Seikatsukira[/size]
no avatar
User

jam

Rank

Developer

Developer

Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:24 pm

Re: Mining Beams - how they work

Postby jam » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:50 pm

Yes. I play another game where the developer never answers these questions straight up and on balance I think it causes more trouble than its worth.

Mining beams add to yields as follows: Asteroids reach peak size after 7 days of accretion. Mining a 7 day old asteroid with a class 1 beam gives you the same yield as a 3 day old one with a class five beam. That's probably the simplest way I can put it.

Skill modifies yields in a more complex fashion. A skill of 5 gives just under a 5% boost, but a skill of 50 gives about 33%. A skill of 100 would give a 50% boost, and a skill of 1000 about a 91% boost. Ergo, diminishing but still significant returns.

That same skillmod formula is applied to other stuff such as gas giant harvesting, trading profits etc.
...............................................................................................................................................
Thanks for playing, thanks for posting, and thanks for your feedback!
no avatar
User

Aerinite

Rank

Ensign

Ensign

Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:07 am

Postby Aerinite » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:23 pm

Could you please explain how temperature affects yield?

I've heard people say that the temperature should be as close to 2250 K as possible to maximise yield.

I've also heard others say that the temperature only needs to be between 2150 K - 2250 K and any temperature in that range will give maximum yield.
AScent:

THe Space GaMe

Is ThE

UltImate

SpAce Game!!!111
no avatar
User

jam

Rank

Developer

Developer

Postby jam » Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:03 am

Aerinite wrote:Could you please explain how temperature affects yield?

I've heard people say that the temperature should be as close to 2250 K as possible to maximise yield.

I've also heard others say that the temperature only needs to be between 2150 K - 2250 K and any temperature in that range will give maximum yield.

Actually anything above 2,137.5 will give maximum yield I think. I capped it at that level or you get runaway returns as it's an exponential function of sorts and it would end up with people cheerfully blowing up 3 out of 4 roids to get one stupidly good yield.

Anyway, temperature below that butter zone is worse yield as you haven't got as much of the metals in an excited state when the beam switches to tractor mode. The lower the temp, the worse it gets, and as I said it's exponential so player skill is a very big component of yields. That's probably half the reason mining is so popular I'd guess, the other half being the returns are good because of demand for superconductors.
...............................................................................................................................................
no avatar
User

Kittamaru

Rank

2nd Lieutenant

2nd Lieutenant

Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:34 pm

Postby Kittamaru » Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:52 pm

Any chance on modifying the temperature system so that a higher temperature doesn't just give more outright, but gives a higher percentage of the higher-end minerals compared to the lower end? Even if it's only a slight change (10-15% less silicon for a "perfect" run, for example) it'd be sweet :D
no avatar
User

jam

Rank

Developer

Developer

Postby jam » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:33 am

Nope I don't see a reason to do that.
no avatar
User

Aerinite

Rank

Ensign

Ensign

Postby Aerinite » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:45 am

After doing some testing on how asteroid age affects yield, it seems that the yield bonus from old asteroids is independent of mining beam class. A class 1 mining beam and a class 11 mining beam will get the same bonus from mining a 7 day old asteroid.

When mining a 0 day old colombite asteroid, I get*:

• Class 1 beam: 6 niobium
  • Class 5 beam: 32 niobium
  • Class 11 beam: 70 niobium

When mining a 7+ day old colombite asteroid:

• Class 1 beam: 178 niobium
  • Class 5 beam: 204 niobium
  • Class 11 beam: 242 niobium

*With 148 mining level

Extra niobium mined from 7+ day old colombite asteroids over 0 day old colombite asteroids:

• Class 1 beam: 172 niobium
  • Class 5 beam: 172 niobium
  • Class 11 beam: 172 niobium

As you can see, the extra yield gained from old asteroids is identical regardless of what mining beam class is used.

Also note that for new colombite asteroids, a class 11 mining beam gives around 11 times the yield of a class 1 beam and a class 5 beam gives around 5 times the yield. Any discrepancies can be due to rounding errors.
AScent:

THe Space GaMe

Is ThE

UltImate

SpAce Game!!!111
no avatar
User

Wulf

Rank

Captain

Captain

Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:33 am

Postby Wulf » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:49 pm

hi.

I am wondering if the curve to temperature ratio can be flattened some...hitting a roid at 19-20k is terrible compared to hitting it at 21 or whatever the perfect temp is) and the time between 21 and bust, seems too quick...with my delay and colour highly dependent on reflection, lighting and roid type...making it unreliable to me.

I would like to see greater returns for undercooked astroids. not sure on ratio but to me it's 80% value is in the last 10% of temperature.
(19k gives 20 out of the possible 100 for example)

in the current system if we could see the beam colours in all lighting conditions, there was never a momentary lose of connection (hard time on very large roids..connection 'blinks sometimes'). and an appropriate audio then this would be great...however this is not the case and if others have similar issues a more linear curve would be appreciated.

I think this will help the newer players the most and the overall mining community

Thx
Last edited by Wulf on Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Aerinite

Rank

Ensign

Ensign

Postby Aerinite » Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:52 am

Aerinite wrote:For what it's worth, the max yield of any asteroid can be calculated as follows:

Max yield = (mining beam class + asteroid age in days) × base yield × mining level bonus

• The base yield is the yield you would get from mining a 0 day old asteroid with a class 1 mining beam and 0 mining level.
  • Maximum yield assumes a mining temperature of 2137.5 K - 2250 K. Mining at 2000 K only gives around half of the maximum yield.

Notice how the mining beam class and asteroid age are added together. The net result is that allowing an asteroid to age one day is equivalent to upclassing a mining beam by one.

Example:

Let's say we have a class 14 mining beam, asteroid mining level 100 and mining a 6 day old Promethicite asteroid.

The base yield of a Promethicite is 80 silicon, 10 uranium and 10 promethium.

So:
  • Mining beam class = 14
  • Asteroid age = 6
  • Base yield = 10
  • Mining level bonus = 1.5 (50% bonus)

Promethium yield = (14 + 6) × 10 × 1.5 = 300 tonnes.

Continuing from this post here, since this is a better place to put it.

The "temperature factor" from undercooking asteroids is:

Temperature factor = 225 / (2 × (2250 - mining temperature in K))

• Where mining temperature is between 1125 K and 2137.5 K.

Mining an asteroid at 1,800 K gives 25% of the max yield, 2,000 K gives 45% and 2,100 K gives 75%.

------------

Base mining yields for asteroids:

Siderolite
  • 40 silicon
  • 20 iron

Kamacite
  • 60 iron

Ureilite
  • 40 silicon
  • 20 iron
  • 6 carbon
  • 20 magnesium