Autopilot Stops Working

Report them here and see how fast they get knocked down!
no avatar
User

Vespyr

Rank

Space Cadet

Space Cadet

Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:23 am

Autopilot Stops Working

Postby Vespyr » Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:08 am

Hi all,

New player here. Just got the game and have been enjoying the relaxing experience. I haven't run into any crashes yet, but I did encounter a strange bug where my autopilot stopped working out of the blue.

I was mining asteroids in Vulcan and was going to sell off my cargo at the SS when my autopilot went on strike. Nothing happened when I clicked on any of the available destinations. At first I thought it was due to some kind of user error, or that the new Sparrow I'd just bought was a dud, so I tried cycling the ship reactor thinking that something had gone wrong in-game, but that didn't help. I then tried logging in/out, but the problem persisted through logins. Finally, I asked around in /help and was told to restart the game. That fixed the problem, but only temporarily; I was able to keep mining for a while longer, but eventually my autopilot died again.

I've heard reports of buggy behavior/memory leakage in Vulcan, especially in the asteroid field where I was, so I'm wondering if this issue may be in some way related to those problems. I've since done some more testing and it looks like it happens most frequently in Vulcan. I can be mining and making trips to the SS without any problems, and then all of a sudden the autopilot will fail without warning. I also tried mining/warping in Veritas and autopilot worked fine there, although I haven't spent enough time in that area to know for sure whether the bug is an isolated case in Vulcan or if it can occur in Veritas as well.

I'd consider this bug a relatively major issue as it disrupts gameplay and forces me to restart the game. Thankfully, the game starts up pretty much instantaneously for me, but having to restart the client to (temporarily) deal with this bug just detracts from the overall experience. Autopilot is so essential to getting around in the game that it's honestly a huge inconvenience when it decides to die on you. :P I'm enjoying the game otherwise and really hope to see issues like these sorted out in time. For a game made by such a small team, it's really remarkable how much has been implemented, and I really do hope Ascent continues to grow and improve into the future.
User

Mooncrest

Rank

Commodore

Commodore

Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:19 pm

MIB Tyngbraneth, Miner's Paradise

Re: Autopilot Stops Working

Postby Mooncrest » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:26 pm

This bug seems to have resurfacced.

I was in the Star Station at Pomona. I had just visited the Shipyard and then exited the Star Station and none of the destiantions listed in the Autopilot got any response.

I reloaded the game and everything worked.

This is not the first time this has happened. I have had this occur in Ceres and Apollo.

So, I thought it time to report it.
no avatar
User

DemonicReaper

Rank

Lieutenant

Lieutenant

Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:14 am

Iowa, United States

Re: Autopilot Stops Working

Postby DemonicReaper » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:49 pm

I have only seen this occur when I accidentally turned off the reactor....hmmmmm