Player Stock Market not updating properly

Report them here and see how fast they get knocked down!
User

Mooncrest

Rank

Commodore

Commodore

Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:19 pm

MIB Tyngbraneth, Miner's Paradise

Re: Player Stock Market not updating properly

Postby Mooncrest » Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:13 pm

RAM wrote:This would be nice. The issue is that the owner's client does the processing at the colonies. A colony does not update until the owner visits. The client then, calculates what would be made and used since last visit. Not sure if this is the only way, but has been the Ascent way.

OK, understood.

However, if each client has the ability to make these calculations then when I visit another Player's colony my client could do the calculations for that colony. It should be able to do this because the colony data is loaded in to my machine. I know this because I can get the colony details on the Colony Analyser.

How difficult it would be for Jam to make the alterations I do not know, but it should not be too difficult. There will be a bit more data that needs to be passed back and forth to the server, but as this is done when I visit my colonies, it should not affect other Players.

If we want Player to Player trade to be a viable option, Stock Market mechanics need to work properly and give accurate data, otherwise Players will just not bother.

We need P2P trade to work as this will allow layers to concentrate on other aspects of the game and leave the supply of their colonies to the friendly community.
no avatar
User

RAM

Rank

Commander

Commander

Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:36 am

Postby RAM » Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:17 pm

Good testing. I use 1.4001 client mostly. I can buy from the SM and the quanity decreases. I will swing by your market and test with that. If it works different for that client, then we know it is in the client code instead of a server issue. Might help Jam understand what is going on.
Ban cheese slicers. Make Apollo Sector grate again!
Fan Fiction from an old timer - RAM Memories
User

Loke

Rank

Lieutenant

Lieutenant

Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:39 pm

Postby Loke » Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:38 pm

RAM wrote: I will swing by your market and test with that. If it works different for that client, then we know it is in the client code instead of a server issue. Might help Jam understand what is going on.

Good, its a bit difficult for me to explain excatly here, so better if you see it yourself. I could also be missing a few things happening, since I did so many things/attempts. The Market it recently updated when I visited with fraaggii account, so should look correct now. Ill try avoid visiting it with fraaggii for the next few days, to see how its affected by trade and batch run.

You can buy and sell for the same price, so no loss involved. Anyone feel free to test as they want.

What I have not been testing is what happens over time, which is why I missed the once a day batch.

Completely agree with Moon, a part of the trade gameplay is not functioning without improvement on SMs.
Last edited by Loke on Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Callsign: Fraaggii or Loke
Senator Loke of Primo Spe, 8086, New Horizon, Skadi, Darkfield and Niu Heimar

Statistics for Nio and Tin prices: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3427
no avatar
User

RAM

Rank

Commander

Commander

Postby RAM » Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:29 pm

The old client is doing the same. This tells me that the stock market buy orders are created, and the entire order is in the database and they do not get generated every time the SM is visited.

So the client creates the order with the amounts that are available at that time. If someone buys, it updates the one line in the database amount.

The only drawback is the multiple listing as you have done. I suspect Jam will see this as outside the plan for the SM and be slow to consider changing it since the SM is working, just not working to do this.

To change this, instead of it just reading lines from the database, the client would have to regenerate the orders at every visit. Not sure if that would really be a big issue processing wise, but would take some new coding to change it. It is worth asking for though. I know of several others who do multiple listings like this.
User

Loke

Rank

Lieutenant

Lieutenant

Postby Loke » Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:37 pm

Thx for confirming.

RAM wrote:The only drawback is the multiple listing as you have done. I suspect Jam will see this as outside the plan for the SM and be slow to consider changing it since the SM is working, just not working to do this.

Actually its the same with sell and buy of the same item. When its sold to a buy order, the quantity the SM is selling should increase, but doesnt since there is no update. Meaning this affects every SM that both buys and sell the same item. Which all my OSBs are, and very many other out there does to.
It is just more visiable at my multi listing SM, so easier to spot what is actually happening (and not).

User

Mooncrest

Rank

Commodore

Commodore

Postby Mooncrest » Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:54 pm

RAM wrote:The only drawback is the multiple listing as you have done. I suspect Jam will see this as outside the plan for the SM and be slow to consider changing it since the SM is working, just not working to do this.
Sorry to disagree, RAM, but SMs are not working properly. Reagrdless of what loke/fraaggii is doing, if I try to sell to a SM that has no space left or has no credits, the buy order is removed from the SM list. If I then buy something from the SM, the original buy order does not reappear, even though the Player should now have space and credits to buy something.

To change this, instead of it just reading lines from the database, the client would have to regenerate the orders at every visit. Not sure if that would really be a big issue processing wise, but would take some new coding to change it. It is worth asking for though. I know of several others who do multiple listings like this.
The code to update the SM must exist in the client already because the data is updated when the colony's owner visits the colony. In fact there must be a condition in the coding to only update if the visitor is the owner. The solution could be as simple as removing this condition. Initially, I was worried that there may be a clash if multiple players were at the SM at the same time, but this, too, must already be catered for because the SM must be capable of being updated by the colony owner even if someone else is present.

I realise that it is probably too late to have this included in the relaunch, but I would like to have it registered that it needs looking at when Jam has the time.
no avatar
User

RAM

Rank

Commander

Commander

Postby RAM » Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:00 pm

Mooncrest wrote:
Sorry to disagree, RAM, but SMs are not working properly. Reagrdless of what loke/fraaggii is doing, if I try to sell to a SM that has no space left or has no credits, the buy order is removed from the SM list. If I then buy something from the SM, the original buy order does not reappear, even though the Player should now have space and credits to buy something.

No disagreement that the SM needs to be fixed. I was just referencing fraaggii's multiple listing issue. There are serious challenges with the way they do work.

This was on the top of the list of the poll we took a while back. I hope to bring that list into the ASC and validate it to be presented back to UNCA. Well, if rmartz doesn't win. That guy is much more chaotic and unpredictable. If he becomes president, I suspect the pie option may be out.
User

Mooncrest

Rank

Commodore

Commodore

Postby Mooncrest » Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:03 pm

RAM wrote:This was on the top of the list of the poll we took a while back. I hope to bring that list into the ASC and validate it to be presented back to UNCA. Well, if rmartz doesn't win. That guy is much more chaotic and unpredictable. If he becomes president, I suspect the pie option may be out.

Well, I guess we have to make sure rmartz doesn't win! My paltry number of votes have been posted for you, so let's hope it is enough to swing it. :D
User

Loke

Rank

Lieutenant

Lieutenant

Postby Loke » Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:16 pm

Guys, my point is you can see what Moon is talking about very easily at my Market. I dont mean that Jam should spend any time on something that only matters for this spesific SM.
Both the none updating quantity and orders that has been removed and doesnt reappear when quantity is changed and they should, can be seen when playing around with my Market. My Market in this bug report is just meant as an example on how SMs currently works.

The fix is needed for the reasons Moon stated.

User

Mooncrest

Rank

Commodore

Commodore

Postby Mooncrest » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:48 pm

Loke wrote:Guys, my point is you can see what Moon is talking about very easily at my Market. I dont mean that Jam should spend any time on something that only matters for this spesific SM.
Both the none updating quantity and orders that has been removed and doesnt reappear when quantity is changed and they should, can be seen when playing around with my Market. My Market in this bug report is just meant as an example on how SMs currently works.

The fix is needed for the reasons Moon stated.

Understood, loke.

his affects each and every SM in the game.

Your SM is just an extremely good example where these phenomena can easily be seen.
Previous