Player Stock Market not updating properly

Report them here and see how fast they get knocked down!
no avatar
User

jam

Rank

Developer

Developer

Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:24 pm

Re: Player Stock Market not updating properly

Postby jam » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:04 am

Let me start by explaining the game mechanics as they are, then we can talk about how it might change.

When you place a buy or sell order, that's a permanent record that tells your stock market to buy up to or sell down to whatever you set.

Then, whenever you visit your colony _and_ once per day during the batch process, all stock market buy and sell orders are updated based on the quantities you have in your warehouse, your bank balance, and space available.

When someone transacts with your stock market, some of these elements are updated. Your warehouse is updated, and the qtywanted for buy orders or qtyavail for sell orders is also updated, by the specific transaction amount.

This means the following things can happen:

1. Transactions which fill your warehouse or drain the last of your credits can render other stock market orders of yours invalid.
    2. Transactions which would allow your productive structures (farms mines factories etc) to produce stuff don't do so until your colony is visited again or the daily batch process.
    3. Potentially other stuff I'm not aware of!

So which of these is occurring? Things which involve item 1 I can probably deal with, things which involve item 2 I can't. A whole colony process is not going to happen with each stock market transaction - that wouldn't be good use of your server resources.

To be clear, none of this happens client side. Clients know a lot about colonies but all colony processing and all transaction processing happens on the server. Otherwise cheaters would just mess with the client and invent transactions or tell their colony to produce more than it possibly could etc.
...............................................................................................................................................
Thanks for playing, thanks for posting, and thanks for your feedback!
no avatar
User

RAM

Rank

Captain

Captain

Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:36 am

Postby RAM » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:35 am

jam wrote:1. Transactions which fill your warehouse or drain the last of your credits can render other stock market orders of yours invalid.

Mostly this.

The second thing happening is when a player changes the name of their colony/OSB and it has existing SM orders, they get locked and can not be cleared.
"The UNCA is not your boss!" ~ Jessica Steele
Fan Fiction from an old timer - RAM Memories
User

Mooncrest

Rank

Commodore

Commodore

Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:19 pm

MIB Tyngbraneth, Miner's Paradise

Postby Mooncrest » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:05 am

Firstly, thanks for the response, Jam. It is very good to see you are active on Ascent again.

I have read your reply and I have the following ideas which, I think will resolve the problems that we are having with Player Stock Markets:

jam wrote:Then, whenever you visit your colony _and_ once per day during the batch process, all stock market buy and sell orders are updated based on the quantities you have in your warehouse, your bank balance, and space available.

Would it be possible to update the Stock Market records, Bank Balance, Warehouse Space when any player visited the Stock Market and not just the SM Owner?

In this way the SM records, etc are as uptodate as they can be without performing any unnecessary processing.

During my time in-game, I am visiting my colonies and OSBs very frequently. The processing time for an update of the Stock Market at any of my Stock Markets is not long enough to register in my consciousness, so I am thinking that the same would be true if this processing were done every time I visited someone else's Stock Market.

jam wrote:1. Transactions which fill your warehouse or drain the last of your credits can render other stock market orders of yours invalid.

This is, undoubtedly, the biggest problem we have. It causes so much frustration when trying to determine which SMs are buying your product.

I believe the answer would be to add two permanent filters to the Stock Market Search Procedure:
  • 1. Ignore all transactions where the Quantity Wanted is greater than the Warehouse Space Remaining
  • 2. Ignore all transactions where the Total Cost of the consignment is greater than the Player's Bank Balance

If this is possible, it would eliminate most of the frustration associated with trading between players.
Last edited by Mooncrest on Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
User

Moneyman

Rank

Captain

Captain

Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:53 pm

Massachusetts

Postby Moneyman » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:27 pm

:mrgreen: A thought about Moon's question ...
Moon wrote: Would it be possible to update the Stock Market records, Bank Balance, Warehouse Space when any player visited the Stock Market and not just the SM Owner?

You may also also may want to check SM query(s) for the update flag you use to indicate transactions pending.
no avatar
User

RAM

Rank

Captain

Captain

Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:36 am

Postby RAM » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:51 pm

Mooncrest wrote: Ignore all transactions where the Total Cost of the consignment is greater than the Player's Bank Balance

I am wondering if this will mess up markets like Loke's Nio Tin Market? As long as they have some space and some credits, it should list. Maybe at least 10% of the list or something. Might be hard to figure off the SM orders. Maybe at least 10% of open spae in the warehouse or at least 1,000,000.
"The UNCA is not your boss!" ~ Jessica Steele
Fan Fiction from an old timer - RAM Memories
User

Mooncrest

Rank

Commodore

Commodore

Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:19 pm

MIB Tyngbraneth, Miner's Paradise

Postby Mooncrest » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:40 am

RAM wrote:
Mooncrest wrote: Ignore all transactions where the Total Cost of the consignment is greater than the Player's Bank Balance

I am wondering if this will mess up markets like Loke's Nio Tin Market? As long as they have some space and some credits, it should list. Maybe at least 10% of the list or something. Might be hard to figure off the SM orders. Maybe at least 10% of open spae in the warehouse or at least 1,000,000.

I can see your point, but , using Loke's SM as an example:
He has multiple buy and sell orders for the same product at various prices. The test would be on each individual buy/sell order not the list as a whole. So, therefore, providing a SM entry on its own complies it will be displayed. This may upset the elegance of Loke's listing, but I am assuming that Loke has enough warehouse space and credits to fulfil all his offers.

Of course, the quantity of the buy order could be altered by the search engine, but this would introduce additional processing time, which I think is unnecessary. This is because I think that in most cases where this is occurring the player is not active and his /her warehouses have filled up with production.

In my original post I had not taken into account the fact that factories and mines have their own warehouse. Albeit small, given the numbers of factories and mines players have built, the quantity that must be purchased from a SM to allow you to sell to that SM could be immense.
User

Loke

Rank

Lt Commander

Lt Commander

Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:39 pm

Postby Loke » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:03 pm

jam wrote:When someone transacts with your stock market, some of these elements are updated. Your warehouse is updated, and the qtywanted for buy orders or qtyavail for sell orders is also updated, by the specific transaction amount.

Only the order that is clicked on by a visitor is updated, all other orders in the SM is not updated.
If a SM is filled by a player selling to one buy order, qtywanted for other buy orders stay the same, until someone click on each of them too (or once a day update is run).
+ all other orders in the same SM, as those does not update for visitors, only when owner of OSB/colony drops by

If a SM is both buying and selling grain, player A sells 100k to the SM, the qty for sale at SM doesnt update before player B clicks the buy grain button on the same SM. Which make the qty at SMs that are both buying and selling have wrong qty showing, makes it seem like the qty SM is selling is increased when player B buys 10k grain and available grain at the SM goes up by 90k.

Also if the sell/buy button is clicked several times in a row, qty stops updating completly. Probably not a big issue as I think its ok next time you vist the SM.

Biggest issue is still that some SMs show up in SM search but you cant sell to them because of no storage space is left. As soon as you click sell, the buy order goes away and you have sold 0. The buy order arrives in SM search again after the daily update is run, tricking a new player the next day.
This is from today:
When I arrive to BSFA cube it is not possible to sell anything. According to the colony analyzer 829,708,573 of 576,300,000 storage is used.

Tried to explain as best as I could, but diffcult to explain some of this stuff. Please just ask if something is unclear.

jam wrote:Otherwise cheaters would just mess with the client

If you want to stop possibilties of cheating, please see the PM I sent you here on the forum 02 May 2017, where I described 2 ways of exploiting SMs to doble your money or create items. I made 1ton of "awesome sauce", as proof of concept.

Thank you for posting in forum again JAM, makes me believe in and enjoy the game more, much appriciated!

Edit:
Would be nice to get rid of all the impossible SM buy order too:
Last edited by Loke on Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Callsign: Fraaggii or Loke
Senator Loke of Primo Spe, 8086, New Horizon, Skadi, Darkfield and Niu Heimar

Statistics for Nio and Tin prices: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3427
User

Loke

Rank

Lt Commander

Lt Commander

Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:39 pm

Postby Loke » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:08 pm

RAM wrote:I am wondering if this will mess up markets like Loke's Nio Tin Market?

Thats one very special SM, not really a priority in this. Improving the SMs functionality is what matters, Ill adapt to what ever solution we get.
Callsign: Fraaggii or Loke
Senator Loke of Primo Spe, 8086, New Horizon, Skadi, Darkfield and Niu Heimar

Statistics for Nio and Tin prices: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3427
Previous