Player Stock Market not updating properly

Report them here and see how fast they get knocked down!
User

Mooncrest

Rank

Commodore

Commodore

Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:19 pm

MIB Tyngbraneth, Miner's Paradise

Player Stock Market not updating properly

Postby Mooncrest » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:20 pm

I was delivering some material to a Player stock Market.

I had more than enough material in my cargo hold to fulfil the stated buy order quantity.

I clicked 'Max' and the stated quantity was removed from my hold, but there was still a quantity demanded by the buy order.

Clicking 'Max' again and the buy order disappeared.

From this it would seem that the quantity in the buy order had not been updated correctly for some reason.

The Stock Market was at an OSB so maybe production use of the stock was not being updated.

This is not a major problem, just one of those niggles that can be frustrating.

EDIT
Further to this, I went to my alt's colony to pick up some carbon. The Stock Market had no carbon listed, which aroused my suspicions. I checked the colony using my alt and there were over 1 million carbon in the warehouse. Checking the SM they were now appearing there.
User

Loke

Rank

Lieutenant

Lieutenant

Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:39 pm

Re: Player Stock Market not updating properly

Postby Loke » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:57 pm

The SMs dont update when you open them, only when the owner visits. For example if there are factories using the item SM is buying, the stored amount will keep decreasing, increasing how much is missing to fill a buy order. But since SM doesnt update when you open it, it will not show the increased amount needed to fill the order. It updates when you click on the sell button for that spesific order, but every other order in the SM is not updated

This is one of the limitations I wrote about in my Nio Tin Market thread:
-Changes of amounts available for sale for each price level only updates when someone clicks on sell button for that spesific price, all other price levels will not update until each are pressed. Same goes for buy prices. One tip is to sell/buy just one to get amount updated.

To fix it SM needs to update itself when anyone opens it, but that wouldnt solve that its not updated in SM search though, which has the same issue.
Callsign: Fraaggii or Loke
Senator Loke of Primo Spe, 8086, New Horizon, Skadi, Darkfield and Niu Heimar

Statistics for Nio and Tin prices: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3427
User

Mooncrest

Rank

Commodore

Commodore

Postby Mooncrest » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:44 pm

Thank you for the confirmation, loke.

I now think that this is a major issue on a par with the removal of invalid buy orders I have been campaigning for for some time.

Data associated with the Stock Market should be as up to date as possible for all items for all purposes, especially when using the Stock Market search facility,

Otherwise, the whole point of trading between players becomes moot as you do not know where the best deals are to be had.
User

Loke

Rank

Lieutenant

Lieutenant

Postby Loke » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:22 pm

Mooncrest wrote:Thank you for the confirmation, loke.

I now think that this is a major issue on a par with the removal of invalid buy orders I have been campaigning for for some time.

Data associated with the Stock Market should be as up to date as possible for all items for all purposes, especially when using the Stock Market search facility,

Otherwise, the whole point of trading between players becomes moot as you do not know where the best deals are to be had.

You have my full support in keep pushing, trading part of gameplay is limited because of this atm. It would have more to offer if we could see all the actual sell and buy orders that are out there.

Mooncrest wrote:EDIT
Further to this, I went to my alt's colony to pick up some carbon. The Stock Market had no carbon listed, which aroused my suspicions. I checked the colony using my alt and there were over 1 million carbon in the warehouse. Checking the SM they were now appearing there.

Thats the second limitation on how SMs are currently implemented, that I found during my testing for Nio Tin Market. When a order is filled it gets removed, but cant show up again before the owner visits again, even though amounts in wharehouse is at a level where it should buy or sell.

From my Nio Tin Market thread:
Unfortunatly the next price level will only be visible after the owner of the OSB is visting, meaning there will be a delay after a price level is filled, before better prices show up when I log in next time

That would be a bigger problem if we were more players with trading happening more often, meaning SMs would be even less updated, because more traders have visited since the last time the owner was logged in.

no avatar
User

RAM

Rank

Commander

Commander

Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:36 am

Postby RAM » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:16 am

Stock Markets also refresh once a day when the batch process is run. Usually late at night some time.
Ban cheese slicers. Make Apollo Sector grate again!
Fan Fiction from an old timer - RAM Memories
User

Mooncrest

Rank

Commodore

Commodore

Postby Mooncrest » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:16 am

RAM wrote:Stock Markets also refresh once a day when the batch process is run. Usually late at night some time.

I appreciate that, RAM. However, updating once a day is not sufficient. I would expect the whole colony inventory to be updated when any player visits. Also, the new data should be transferred to the Stock Market Search facility so that accurate data is presented to the players.
no avatar
User

RAM

Rank

Commander

Commander

Postby RAM » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:10 pm

Mooncrest wrote:I appreciate that, RAM. However, updating once a day is not sufficient. I would expect the whole colony inventory to be updated when any player visits. Also, the new data should be transferred to the Stock Market Search facility so that accurate data is presented to the players.

This would be nice. The issue is that the owner's client does the processing at the colonies. A colony does not update until the owner visits. The client then, calculates what would be made and used since last visit. Not sure if this is the only way, but has been the Ascent way.

This is why the SM does not update when we visit another player's colony. We can only access the existing resources that have been made since last owner visit, or the batch process that Jam added once a day.

This is why it took me months to finally supply and clear many of the broken SM nio and tin buy orders from inactive players.

I am not saying it is the best way. I do not know if the colony could process from a non-owner visit. I suspect it would increase the processor load of the game a little. I think it would add to the lag we experience at larger colonies if our clients processed them at every visit. This is why the owner of a large colony has to wait longer then a visitor for the colony to display sometimes. The client only displays for the visitor. The owner client has to process all the data and update the database.
User

Loke

Rank

Lieutenant

Lieutenant

Postby Loke » Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:47 pm

RAM wrote:This is why the SM does not update when we visit another player's colony. We can only access the existing resources that have been made since last owner visit, or the batch process that Jam added once a day.

What a colony/OSB produces is probably as you say calculated when owner visits. But changes to quantitys that are caused by others selling and buying, does not. Those are available on the server and will show if SM updates. No visit from owner required. And these are, at least for me, the most interesting quantitys to get correct.

You can easily see this at Nio Tin Market. For example try selling 10 tin, and only the price you clicked sell on is updated. All other Tin orders is now wrong, and will stay wrong until you click on each sell and buy for Tin. Meaning they do update when you sell or buy, but should have updated when you opened the SM. Also it should have updated all the orders when you sell or buy, not only the one you click on, as it currently is.

Feel free test this on Nio Tin Market, it shows very well when there is plenty of orders for the same item.

Shouldnt be to difficult to improve on the code around this, as it is just adjustment of whats updated and when.

no avatar
User

RAM

Rank

Commander

Commander

Postby RAM » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:54 pm

Have you sold 10, then shut down and reopened SM to see if it updates all columns at that time?
User

Loke

Rank

Lieutenant

Lieutenant

Postby Loke » Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:31 pm

RAM wrote:Have you sold 10, then shut down and reopened SM to see if it updates all columns at that time?

Yes. And restarted, game, jumped to another system and back, changed to a different account, tested all I could think of since it really is a limitation to Nio Tin markets functiontality. No update from any attempts.

Also noticed that it only updates the sell order i buy from once, if I keep buying it will not change the quantity anymore, even when I switch to a different account. But this could be just for a time, before it starts working again, because when I started testing now someone else had already sold Tin and it still updated once for me before it completely stopped updating. Or it could be it works when you alternate buy and sell.

This is how it looked after it stopped updating:
Someone had sold a larger amount of Tin for 110k price before, which is why you see quantitys for 120k price and higher, which I didnt touch, are not updated since fraaggii visited yesterday.
I bougth 10 tin for 110k price
I bougth 1 tin several times for 115k price, amount decreased 1 time and then no more update.
It should have been exactly 100k difference in quantity for all those orders.

I guess these limitations doesnt bother many players, but since I use so much of my game time these days to test how limitations works and try to find as good workarounds as possible, I migth as well write about it.

Next