Crashing? Please Read This First! UPDATED 14/10/2015

Report them here and see how fast they get knocked down!
no avatar
User

jam

Rank

Developer

Developer

Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:24 pm

Crashing? Please Read This First! UPDATED 14/10/2015

Postby jam » Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:49 pm

If your game is crashing, please try the following before contacting support or reporting a bug.

1. Go into Options and make sure "Unstable Stuff" is turned OFF. This flag, when turned on, will enable things that we KNOW cause occasional crashes. They are in game to demonstrate a future feature.

2. If you are getting crashes on the web client, please try the PC Demo or at the very least switch browsers. The web client runs in a browser plugin, which is the least stable platform anyone's invented since Java. My next game will absolutely NOT have a web client as I am tired of players getting turned off our game because of stability issues I can't fix.

3. Please make sure directX and your video drivers are up to date.

4. If you are still getting crashes, please download and test out on the "Debug" build. If you go into steam, right click on Ascent, select "properties", then go to the "betas" tab. There is a password for this build, it's jamsaiditsok. The build you need to select is called "Debug". This build is annoying to use, however the crash dumps it generates are ones I can ACTUALLY GET SOME INFORMATION FROM. So please send the resulting crash dumps to support@fluffykittenstudios.com
*NOTE! This build displays all kinds of irrelevant debug info. This info is useless to either of us, as it only displays things which are HANDLED, which by definition do not cause crashes. Ignore them, and just send me the crash dumps you get.
...............................................................................................................................................
Thanks for playing, thanks for posting, and thanks for your feedback!
User

ForumBot

Rank

Captain

Captain

Thu May 08, 2014 1:39 am

Re: Crashing? Please Read This First!

Postby ForumBot » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:30 pm

jam wrote:If your game is crashing, please try the following before contacting support or reporting a bug.

1. Go into Options and make sure "Unstable Stuff" is turned OFF. This flag, when turned on, will enable things that we KNOW cause occasional crashes. They are in game to demonstrate a future feature.

2. If you are getting crashes on the web client, please try the PC Demo or at the very least switch browsers. The web client runs in a browser plugin, which is the least stable platform anyone's invented since Java. My next game will absolutely NOT have a web client as I am tired of players getting turned off our game because of stability issues I can't fix.

I use the web browser, and usually it's fine, but there's a colony in the system 8086 and unity complety crashes every time I go to it. I'll check if unstable stuff is on, but the demo isn't working for me for some reason.

EDIT: Unstable stuff set to off, crashing continues. I don't think switching browsers will do me any good, because I'm using chrome and google chrome is way faster than internet explorer.
Joined on May 6, 2014 and quit on January 3rd, 2016.

Officially the 12980th registered user ingame, ~158th registered forum account.
Discoverer of Nexus
AKA ClockworkHex
User

Agamemnon

Rank

Captain

Captain

Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:22 pm

Atlanta, Georgia

Postby Agamemnon » Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:15 am

I use firefox latest an greatest and i've been using the web-browser since June i think in total i've maybe had 4-5 crashes in that time. The last one shocked me cause it had been so long, it was last week. But I clicked the reload and jumped right back in, oh and note when i did that, i had been logged in for about 32 hours i think.since i was mining the night before went to bed woke up and then went back to mining and hauling later that next night.
no avatar
User

Kaho

Rank

Midshipman

Midshipman

Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:20 pm

Postby Kaho » Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:49 am

Speaking of which. The game just crashed and I got a message asking me to send a crash dump folder to you. However, it didn't say where you want it sent, so if you would please say where?
no avatar
User

Matanuska

Rank

Space Cadet

Space Cadet

Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:26 pm

Postby Matanuska » Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:40 pm

Just got a crash notice and it said to send the folder to game admin. So where do I send it?
User

Mooncrest

Rank

Commodore

Commodore

Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:19 pm

MIB Tyngbraneth, Miner's Paradise

Postby Mooncrest » Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:37 pm

I send them to james.hicks@fluffykittenstudios.com

I get replies to Jam must get them.
Blake Mooncrest
Proprietor, Mooncrest Industries

Senator for Elfydd, Newydd Cymru, Otturet, Ceredigion, Llandysul and Llanrhystyd also for MrPC-16 and moper-10.
Mayor of all MI Facilities in the Miners Paradise system.
no avatar
User

Matanuska

Rank

Space Cadet

Space Cadet

Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:26 pm

Postby Matanuska » Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:02 am

I'll give that a try. Thanks Mooncrest.
User

Octavious

Rank

2nd Lieutenant

2nd Lieutenant

Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:19 am

Postby Octavious » Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:48 pm

I get crashes on the average of about every 1/2 hr of game play .. it does not matter where or what I am doing.. I got the game from Steam if that helps any ..
The only constant in the universe is change..
User

Mooncrest

Rank

Commodore

Commodore

Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:19 pm

MIB Tyngbraneth, Miner's Paradise

Postby Mooncrest » Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:45 am

I used to get a lot of crashes too, even running on the least detailed graphics quality. I was running on an Acer 5920 using a built-in graphics card. Now I have upgraded my machine and got a stand-alone graphics card with 2GB of its own memory, I have only had one crash and my fps has increased from 10-15 to 55+.
Blake Mooncrest
Proprietor, Mooncrest Industries

Senator for Elfydd, Newydd Cymru, Otturet, Ceredigion, Llandysul and Llanrhystyd also for MrPC-16 and moper-10.
Mayor of all MI Facilities in the Miners Paradise system.
no avatar
User

jam

Rank

Developer

Developer

Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:24 pm

Postby jam » Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:36 pm

Try opening task manager, go to processes and sort by memory.

When the game crashes, how much memory is it using? If it's 2.X gig, or you're out of free memory, it might be running out.
...............................................................................................................................................
Thanks for playing, thanks for posting, and thanks for your feedback!