State of the Game and Company, April 2016

This is where you can suggest new features and discuss upcoming features.
no avatar
User

RAM

Rank

Captain

Captain

Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:36 am

Re: State of the Game and Company, April 2016

Postby RAM » Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:11 pm

Mooncrest wrote:After all, they are in the business of making money, so they must see something in NFT that they do not like.

Like they can not control things and make all the money. Same reason why governments are trying to control and outlaw crypto-currency.

I am just glad that there will be another option than Steam. I will be switching over. I can buy my SC and use them from another source. I like being able to spread the love a bit. I could care less if others are investing in the game as a way to gain a little. I am glad that Jam will have a way to increase revenue so the game can continue to develop. It is easy for him to keep things from getting out of hand by releasing more content. If there is really a market for nonplayers to buy a star system and hold it, well, we got 270 billion!! It will take a while to be an issue.

I will be seriously considering getting a system and going independent. I want cool colored gates on the map! I mean like that will be so limiting to others. They have to use a different colored gate line on the map. :lol:

Guys, Jam loves the game and has always made sure it was fair and worth the $3 a month. I see no reason to doubt him now. I hope that goes up a little. We should be paying $5 a month. I really hope he does move away from subscription and just let us buy the SC needed each month. Then those who want to play without paying a monthly bill can. Options. I like options. This will give options. If one does not like the new system, they can stay on Steam. I plan to move.
"The UNCA is not your boss!" ~ Jessica Steele
Fan Fiction from an old timer - RAM Memories
User

Loke

Rank

Commander

Commander

Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:39 pm

Postby Loke » Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:54 pm

Repeating myself but I really want to make it clear I am commenting on NFTs and games in general, not spesific for ascent. Having very little to no knowledge of what Jam plans with ascent, it would be purely speculations, which I want to avoid. Not critizising Jam and/or ascent here. I am sorry if I am accidently wording something to sound like it, its not my intention.

My point is its a very good thing that steam banned NFT games, although they havent officially said why they did so. Even though it harms games we enjoy and care about, even completely banning some from steam, its worth it to get rid of games with NFTs there. If they are "contained" on spcefic platforms for NFT games, at least people going there has a chance to inform themselves what they are getting into.

There are plenty of ways to do in-game credits, even across games within a platform, while still keeping the real value somewhat limited to the game/platform itselves, as it serves no purpose outside of it. So I dont see why you would want to replace that with NFTs if not to remove barriers between games and real world values/investments.
If you can sell a ship to another player in a game and get bitcoins for it, wouldnt that be a bit suspicious? Is NFTs in a game any better?
Im not saying ban all crypto and NFTs, just that it shouldnt be mixed with games where it should be about having fun and relaxing from the real world (at least that what I see games as).
Not judging anyone that gets into it though, as there can be many reasons why one wants/needs to. Just be careful, try to get some third party info first and if it sounds to get to be true, like "play-to-earn", then it probably is.

Im not going to comment on any of RAMs examples, as they are about ascent/what Jam is doing, it would again be based on speculations and therefore a risk of accidently critizing Jam.

Mooncrest wrote:If NFT can be traded out of game and other games sell NFT then Jam does not have control over the dollar value of them like he does with SC. If NFT are a "currency" that can be traded out of game then they will be and there will be people who will try and make a living trading in this "currency". There, possibly, already are, as NFT already seems an established thing. Therefore, Jam may not get the income stream he is looking for, as NFT bought outside the game can be used in-game.
If Im not mistaken it can be setup so that they can take comissions on trades of NFTs, so the more trading the more income they get. Not sure how that actually works though.

Mooncrest wrote:I'm not a great fan of Steam as you know, but if Steam has banned NFT they must have a good reason to do so. After all, they are in the business of making money, so they must see something in NFT that they do not like.
Most likely they want to cover their own ass, at least thats the first priority. Not expecting them to have more moral than greed. They could risk financial regulations being put on them. The outcome of banned NFT games is still a good thing though.

RAM wrote:If there is really a market for nonplayers to buy a star system and hold it, well, we got 270 billion!! It will take a while to be an issue.

Thats not how NFTs work though, the NFT is only a claim of owning the original, therefor it has a value. There can be as many exact copies as you want (in a digital world there is no difference between the original and any copy), that doesnt affect the value of the NFT at all. Its not the item itself that has value, only the claim of owning the original. I find it weird and hard to understand to be honest. Also it is not the value of it in the game that is the issue.
Callsign: Fraaggii or Loke
My AutohotKey tools: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4329
Mining yield calculator (google sheets): https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0
no avatar
User

RAM

Rank

Captain

Captain

Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:36 am

Postby RAM » Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:59 pm

Loke wrote:Thats not how NFTs work though, the NFT is only a claim of owning the original, therefor it has a value. There can be as many exact copies as you want (in a digital world there is no difference between the original and any copy), that doesnt affect the value of the NFT at all. Its not the item itself that has value, only the claim of owning the original. I find it weird and hard to understand to be honest. Also it is not the value of it in the game that is the issue.

As you, I know little about it. I just know Jam has done a lot of research and has always been very slow to implement anything that would break or transform the game in a major way. I could be wrong, but I do not think there will be that much activity past a new game launch/relaunch would bring with or without NFTs.
"The UNCA is not your boss!" ~ Jessica Steele
Fan Fiction from an old timer - RAM Memories
no avatar
User

shathiell

Rank

Commander

Commander

Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:03 am

Postby shathiell » Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:40 am

What an interesting turn of events. I haven't really looked into NFT at all as I had no interest in it until now, however from what I read there appears to be a lot of concern around regulation and what that means (Especially when each country does its own thing with financial regulations). Also, assigning value to digital items in this manner may be a disaster waiting to happen; Who remembers the RMT auction house debacle in Diablo 3 when it was first release? It introduced so many issues that Blizzard ended up removing it.

Anyway, some links here I have been reading up on to try and play catch-up.

AMA reddit threat with some of the game companies using NFT: https://www.reddit.com/r/CryptoCurrency ... jin_chris/

Epic stating that they are happy to have NFT games on their platform: https://www.theverge.com/2021/10/15/227 ... -nft-games

An original article about steam pulling NFT (It was only in the past couple of weeks and the tone suggests they are very anti-NFT): https://www.kotaku.com.au/2021/10/good- ... -and-nfts/

From the article above seems that scammers are notorious on the platform and that NFT value fluctuates considerably. Imagine spending $100USD on something worth $1 a week later?

EDIT. Because I am still learning, here is an article about digital art and how much they are going for on the market: https://www.theverge.com/22310188/nft-e ... to-art-faq

Article on scammers targeting NFT's: https://www.theverge.com/22683766/nft-s ... y-recovery
no avatar
User

shathiell

Rank

Commander

Commander

Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:03 am

Postby shathiell » Fri Oct 29, 2021 5:49 am

Some more links around NFT and security issues/concerns:

https://www.helpnetsecurity.com/2021/05 ... nfts-safe/

https://valid.network/post/are-nfts-saf ... y-concerns

Given their real-world value there will probably need to be changes in Ascent to better secure user accounts from potential exploit (Such as MFA options)
Previous