The current market is killing the game

This is where you can suggest new features and discuss upcoming features.
no avatar
User

Gideon77

Rank

Space Cadet

Space Cadet

Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:09 am

The current market is killing the game

Postby Gideon77 » Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:03 am

PROBLEM:
The game survives because people want to accomplish stuff. In this game those accomplishments include (this is not a complete list):
-Upgrading to bigger and bigger ships (this is the single biggest accomplishment for the starting players).
-Mining asteroids for ores to get needed ores.
-Building colonies to get needed foods and ores.
-Using hydrogen and hyperdrives to move around.

However, currently you can buy almost anything a LOT cheaper than you can get it yourself. For example, Why spend the time and effort to have iron mines when you can buy any amount of iron for 1 credit per ton? 10 minutes trading will buy all the iron you currently need for the game. Why do the research for the next size ship and its modules, and get the materials to build them, when you can buy them pre-made for less than 1 hour's work trading? etc. I got a class 15 ship in 21 hours of play, and it only took that long because I took my time doing other things along the way. And I didn't need to research anything in order to do that.

SOLUTION:
-Everything currently has a base price assigned to it. Prevent players from offering anything for sale at a price that is lower than its base price.

-Make it a lot easier and cheaper for players to make their own ships than to buy them. One solution to this would be to prevent the sale of the ships for less than some multiplier more than it would cost to make them (maybe 5x or 10x more). Another might be to prevent them from being bought unless you have first done the research, and gotten the blueprints, for them. I.e. you can't buy it unless you can first also make it. Note that these changes do not affect ship classes 1-10. The idea is to force the players to spend the days needed to make the ships instead of the 1 hour's trading needed to buy it pre-made. I.e. make having the ships be an "accomplishment" that they have to work for.

-Make the gate network more costly to use than the hyperdrives. One method to do this is to make convenience be the incentive to use them. To do this remove, or atleast GREATLY reduce, both the cost and frequency of the repair of the hyperdrives. This has the side benefit of not affecting the early player's use of the gates instead of hyperdrives. This will give the players a reason to spend time gathering hydrogen and making and using hyperdrives, whereas currently there is absolutely no reason to do it unless they wish to be explorers.

The whole idea behind these changes is to provide a reason for players to NEED to accomplish stuff. If they need to accomplish stuff, then they will want to play the game in order to accomplish it. If there is nothing that they need to accomplish, then they have for all intents and purposes "won" the game, and therefore have no further reason to continue to play it. Some will still be determined enough to create their own accomplishments, but most will just leave at that point. The game already built in a lot of stuff for players to accomplish. Now it just needs to close the loop-holes that make it a lot cheaper and easier for them to accomplish it by "buying it" instead of "doing it". And I purposely kept the changes to things that hopefully won't need huge changes to the underlying game mechanics.
no avatar
User

RAM

Rank

Captain

Captain

Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:36 am

Re: The current market is killing the game

Postby RAM » Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:27 pm

Gideon77 wrote: If there is nothing that they need to accomplish, then they have for all intents and purposes "won" the game, and therefore have no further reason to continue to play it.

There is an overabundance of materials and credits in the game. We know this. Some of the big projects we do, like the TC gates are to be a material sink.

The game is a sandbox game. This means it is really up to the player to set goals and create things out of the pieces presented.

The game has one developer and it can take time to implement additional features. We are right now waiting for a relaunch on a brand new platform. Once that happens, many new things are waiting to be added. If the launch goes well, then there is a list of things that will be hitting. The challenge right now is the developer also has to work to pay the bills. The game, currently, is not drawing in enough to pay him. He basically works for free for us. This has not always been the case, but the situation right now. This means only big broken things will get addressed until the game can develop more cashflow. More cashflow will see new development and shaping of some of the dynamics you presented.
"The UNCA is not your boss!" ~ Jessica Steele
Fan Fiction from an old timer - RAM Memories
no avatar
User

Nomad

Rank

Ensign

Ensign

Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:03 pm

Postby Nomad » Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:08 am

RAM wrote:
Gideon77 wrote: If there is nothing that they need to accomplish, then they have for all intents and purposes "won" the game, and therefore have no further reason to continue to play it.

We are right now waiting for a relaunch on a brand new platform. Once that happens, many new things are waiting to be added. If the launch goes well, then there is a list of things that will be hitting.

RAM as I have been away for some time (2018), could you provide a quick summary of what is is scope for the relaunch and new platform please. Would be good to get some additional details on the platform and potential timeframes..and more importantly, is there anything we can do to assist?

I have re-subscribed just waiting on support to restore my account as some of my colonies are broken (or not rendering right). Unsure if this is related to me running out of stellar credits or game servers had an issue some time back that I did not resolve at the time.

Nomad
no avatar
User

RAM

Rank

Captain

Captain

Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:36 am

Postby RAM » Fri Jul 29, 2022 3:14 pm

Relaunch is waiting for the new platform to onboard it. Jam has no control when that will happen. There is some process that they are waiting on.

Relaunch will allow many more in game purchases. Steam has always throttled that, like only being able to buy one hawk or silicon filter.

New in game purchases, new ship designs and a couple new ships, new art, and some new play features and all waiting. The new platform seems to be better at promoting the games they are presenting.

Timeframe is out of the hands of Jam and the new platform. They have to wait for something I do not fully understand. Nothing for us to do but wait. It is quite annoying.
"The UNCA is not your boss!" ~ Jessica Steele
Fan Fiction from an old timer - RAM Memories