Exploration II

This is where you can suggest new features and discuss upcoming features.
User

Prolapser

Rank

Commander

Commander

Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:39 pm

Re: Exploration II

Postby Prolapser » Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:26 pm

jam wrote:Do we need to also match on:

Ocean or not, atmosphere or not (these increase fertility concentrations but I'm not sure anyone cares since fertilities are so rare to start with you'd probably use a planet regardless of either ocean or atmo)

Ocean composition (has compounds with n, h, and o or not)
Atmosphere composition (has compounds with n, h, and o or not)

Or does this just complicate it over the top and turn it into a science lesson?

My criteria for "good" planets also includes a balanced atmosphere with enough N,O, and H. If there is little Oxygen or Hydrogen, then a water ocean would be desired.

With terraforming in the future, major factors would include planet/moon gravity and light year distance from Apollo or a specified gated system. Another criteria I would bounty is a planet that is balanced with minerals, all foods, and a gravity lower than 1.5 (atmosphere not necessary).
User

rmartz

Rank

Rear Admiral

Rear Admiral

Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:37 pm

Postby rmartz » Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:03 pm

jam wrote:Do we need to also match on:

Ocean or not, atmosphere or not (these increase fertility concentrations but I'm not sure anyone cares since fertilities are so rare to start with you'd probably use a planet regardless of either ocean or atmo)

Ocean composition (has compounds with n, h, and o or not)
Atmosphere composition (has compounds with n, h, and o or not)

Or does this just complicate it over the top and turn it into a science lesson?

If it has atmo is a big plus. I would like that included. Not as concerned about contents, but could use it. I am breaking them down on the database, but can easily match what you do.

Unless a planet has 4 agro and no atmo, I doubt it will be colonized easily. It is becoming easier with bigger ships. So, down the road it becomes more valuable. Atmo is a big factor right now.

Have ocean is a fun thing, but not as important to colonization at present unless you add Wulf's water collector thing for oceans later.
Ingame accounts: RAM, rmartz
Check out RAM Memories.
Visit AscentExtras.com for player built game tools, guilds, and links to game related data.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
no avatar
User

Corezite

Rank

Midshipman

Midshipman

Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:39 pm

Postby Corezite » Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:31 pm

Because exploring is essentially all I do, this is really the only gameplay mechanic I follow developer notes on. This one jumped out at me, though.

jam wrote:3. I'll personally put up 100k matching absolutely any planet, times many thousands. So that newbs exploring always get paid something for their efforts.

This goes hand-in-hand with:

OrrnGor wrote:Short summery then, the bounty system sounds incredibly BORING because:
1. Zero risk
2. Brain dead easy.
3. Not really that interesting. After 100 or so soil samples, I'd never want to do another one in my life : )

If I read this correctly, it means paying players 100k credits just for clicking EVA and clicking Soil Sample. OrrnGor is spot on - it's way too easy and is another gameplay mechanic that carries absolutely no risk and no possibility of failure - I could potentially make around 2 million credits in one system and in less than 10 minutes. I assume this is to whet the new players' appetite for exploring, but 100k credits would be far too high just to give UNCA data on every single planet indiscriminately - even UNCA must have some criteria for what has at least minimal value. UNCA paying for planets they already have data on makes even less sense to me. What I could see is UNCA paying a stepped bounty for generic attributes. Suggestion follows:

1) 1000 credits to land and click Soil Sample
2) An extra 500 credits if the planet has an ocean of any kind
3) An extra 500 credits if the planet has an atmosphere of any kind
4) An extra 5000 credits for each "Poor" fertility and 10000 credits for each "Full" fertility
5) Whatever, etc.

This is a decent amount of credits to a player starting out, if in conjunction with greatly reduced pricing on low hyperdrives with better range. My picture of UNCA is that they care somewhat more about food than they do about mineral production. Once a planet is reported it's now "discovered" by UNCA generally and not redeemable again by other players - could be changed to a blue font in the autopilot menu, for example.

Another rambling idea. UNCA could then also post random attribute bounties with much greater payouts. For example, perhaps they are looking specifically for a planet that is at least 70% silicon and has a gravity of at least 4.2g. This will help them speed up incubating the new silicon-based life-forms they're intending to reproduce in order to replace their current crop of whiny human miners. Or a planet that has at least 15% aluminium and has some sort of fertility for fruit. For the aluminium bananas they're feeding to their new silicon-based employees. For such data (or whatever random combination of 1-4 mineral/gravity attributes or whatever) they're willing to pay considerably more, say 100k credits or 500k credits. These bounties would have time limits, and would be limited to... maybe 12 posted at a time, in Ceres or Vulcan. And pilots can only carry perhaps three at a time, so you can't sit on 40 of them like contracts and then cash in on them when you feel like it. UNCA needs this data rather urgently. If you carry a bounty that expires, no harm done, just go get another one. Once UNCA finds that special planet that meets it, the bounty is filled, all players carrying it receive a notice that some other pilot is better than they are, better yet that pilot is named in the message telling you you failed. Ideally that planet is also now permanently marked as discovered and no longer shows up in the bounty board. When a bounty either is filled or expires it's immediately replaced with another randomly-generated new one so there's always 12 available for anyone going to look. Dropping an active bounty would cost significant credits, much like dropping a contract. Special bounties can only be claimed once per planet and it could be changed to a red font in the autopilot menu to reflect this (planets in blue could still qualify for these bounties, since UNCA's generic bounties are generic data, whereas special bounties are specific).

And since this post is now too long already, here's a random off-the-cuff sample of a UNCA bounty!

Code: Select all
Exploration Programme Alpha:  the Department of Renewable Resources urgently requires a new domicile for their experimental titanium-recycling research.  Ideally, this facility will be located on a yet-unexplored planet or moon that has no atmosphere, as our current processes are highly volatile when exposed to random gaseous concentrations.  Additionally, higher planetary gravities are preferable for containment purposes, and no planet with a gravity of less than 4.2g will be considered.  Finally, spectrographic analysis of the prospective planet's surface should indicate the presence of at least 15% titanium to eliminate the need to transport raw materials.  The first pilot to discover a planet or moon meeting our criteria will be eligible for a bounty of 100.000 credits, payable immediately upon verification.  This discovery must be made before 7 July.  Thank you for your continued support of the UNCA.  We only exist to serve you.

I'm not sure I'm sold on the player bounty idea as yet for several reasons.
User

BoshingTong

Rank

Commander

Commander

Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:46 am

USA, Pa

Postby BoshingTong » Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:13 am

I don't fully agree that there is no risk. A play must get a HD and hydro in order to make a jump to do the sample. I think that the bounty should be rated though. If the UNCA is going to pay then if it is a close in planet it should be less than on 1000s of LY out. I think a sliding scale would work better.

Secondly know the Atmo and Ocean is important if we plan to Terroform more worlds so yes I would add that data from the start.
Owner of BSFA (Bosh Survey & Freightage Authority)
Senator of Logopolis, New Dawn, Babylon
Governor of Poosh, Tigland, Prime Sun, Babel

Mayor of all BSFA Colonies & OSBs
User

albrat

Rank

Commander

Commander

Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:43 am

Postby albrat » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:24 am

rmartz wrote:Unless a planet has 4 agro and no atmo, I doubt it will be colonized easily. It is becoming easier with bigger ships. So, down the road it becomes more valuable. Atmo is a big factor right now.

Have ocean is a fun thing, but not as important to colonization at present unless you add Wulf's water collector thing for oceans later.

Currently a dome is around 430,000 tons of gasses... This means 11 trips back and forth with the correct gasses to fill a dome to 1 atmosphere presure. (considering an archon with HD at max space) add a long jump distance and you're talking 20+ jumps to fill one dome.. So I consider an atmosphere extremely important for building a colony. (even if the planet has all 4 fertilities.) Hauling that much gas per dome over a decent distance... (ok that is sidetracking).

Basically Yes to including Atmosphere in bounties. :)
Albrat Formerly newuser36083

Why does Dos never say good command or filename?
Senator of Arillia, Senator of Albrat-6.
User

Mooncrest

Rank

Commodore

Commodore

Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:19 pm

MITH Menzel 3

Postby Mooncrest » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:15 pm

I would like to be able to opt out of the automatic checking my soil samples against any bounties registered, please.

EDIT:
I do not want to stop people from going to the systems I have discovered, but I do not, necessarily, want them to have the information I have gathered about a system for a price I have not determined or agreed. I sell the ships I build at a price I set, so I do not see why I cannot set the price on the information I have gathered. Exploring is not a career path I am thinking about taking, but if I were I think that I would like to set the price also. The asteroid miners can set their prices, so Explorers should be able to set theirs, also.

With an option to sell to bounties or not, we have the same mechanic as the GM/SM for materials; players can set their own prices or sell for prices offered by other players.

Perhaps, bounties could be checked and then the price presented and the player asked if s/he wants to sell?
Last edited by Mooncrest on Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blake Mooncrest
Proprietor, Mooncrest Industries

Senator for Elfydd, Newydd Cymru, Otturet, Ceredigion, Llandysul and Flavos Highway IV
Mayor of all MI Facilities in Miners Paradise, MITH Menzel 3, MID Holderness, MIB Farmers Market and MIB Ixaal

User

battlepopit

Rank

2nd Lieutenant

2nd Lieutenant

Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:53 am

Postby battlepopit » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:43 pm

i made another thread about this just to make sure it was seen. I want to pick and choose what info I sell. and I want to set the price. a geo5, 2%si, fertile grain, fertile animals and fertile tobacco would be worth a lot. 100k no way. I may give the info to some and refuse to sell to others (nicely) :-)
At 100k a pop I can afford to track people again if I want. Now where is that 3 month old Bast field? :-)
I jump to an area and explore several hundred systems in that area. setting all the roid fields. If some one finds them fine. they are not my planets. but I don't want them to be able to get all my work for 100k.
Don't worry human. If we are ever stranded on a ship together in space, I will keep you alive as long as possible. I would consider it good food preservation.
User

rmartz

Rank

Rear Admiral

Rear Admiral

Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:37 pm

Postby rmartz » Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:38 pm

Yea, I set it to accept any sample and I am getting every sample taken. I like it, but others may not. lol

I could set it for 1c but was nice and I am paying 100k per.

I can not see them in Ship Computer samples list. I suspect they will only be added to my soil sample dump. I like the MAIL feature. That is nice.
Ingame accounts: RAM, rmartz
Check out RAM Memories.
Visit AscentExtras.com for player built game tools, guilds, and links to game related data.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
no avatar
User

Wulf

Rank

Captain

Captain

Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:33 am

Postby Wulf » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:49 am

still looking for a place about halfway between keystone and aptic cluster and another place between aptic cluster and Wulfhound-465 (rocky planet 10).

will pay well. good geo, atmospheric, low silicon, foods, the usual stuff to attract settlers.
User

Mooncrest

Rank

Commodore

Commodore

Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:19 pm

MITH Menzel 3

Postby Mooncrest » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:34 am

Mooncrest wrote:I would like to be able to opt out of the automatic checking my soil samples against any bounties registered, please.

Jam, thank you for making my wish come true.
Blake Mooncrest
Proprietor, Mooncrest Industries

Senator for Elfydd, Newydd Cymru, Otturet, Ceredigion, Llandysul and Flavos Highway IV
Mayor of all MI Facilities in Miners Paradise, MITH Menzel 3, MID Holderness, MIB Farmers Market and MIB Ixaal

PreviousNext