New UI and HUD suggestions

This is where you can suggest new features and discuss upcoming features.
no avatar
User

omgbees

Rank

Space Cadet

Space Cadet

Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:43 am

New UI and HUD suggestions

Postby omgbees » Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:27 am

Hey guys! My name's Nick, and I'm helping Jam and George out with giving the in-game HUD and various UI elements a graphical overhaul.

So there's a lot to this game, and I won't be able to overhaul absolutely everything in the time I have allocated, but if you guys could help me identify which areas need the most work, features that you'd really like to see, and things that you DON'T want to change, it'd really help me work out what I should focus on.

Also, I'm reasonably new to the game and there's a lot to take in, so if you've got an in-depth request, it'd be super appreciated if you could specify when and where something occurs so I can go and take a look at it.

At the moment I'm focusing on the primary HUD (The autopilot, radar, chat, messages, ship info, etc), with stations, colonies and mining coming up after that.

So, if there's anything UI related that's been bugging you, feel free to discuss it and I'll see what I can do!
User

Mizuk

Rank

Lt Commander

Lt Commander

Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:14 pm

Somewhere out There

Re: New UI and HUD suggestions

Postby Mizuk » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:02 pm

Welcome 8-)

Can we get it so we can decide where we have the HUD elements?

Example: I want my ship info on top and player info left top, chat on right side.. ex.. ?

Free to place which elements I want and where..
That would be awesome.

M
Any support to my just cause! :)
Can be given in form of Iron and Carbon at Route 6 planned gateway to Route 666
User

rmartz

Rank

Rear Admiral

Rear Admiral

Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:37 pm

Postby rmartz » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:33 pm

I have lots to post. I will start off with a screenshot of the MAIL feature since George was asking about what it does. Here is the list of mail we get when we click the icon. Each will open to their own little mail post giving added detail of who sold it for how much. I didn't get a shot of that. I can if needed.

Once we clear the mail, we get this little rectangle that shows if you click it and have no mail. You click it again and it goes away.

Okay, I got a screenshot of what the mail looks like when we open it and added it to this page.

This works for us I think. Have heard little comments about it.
Last edited by rmartz on Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ingame accounts: RAM, rmartz
Check out RAM Memories.
Visit AscentExtras.com for player built game tools, guilds, and links to game related data.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
User

rmartz

Rank

Rear Admiral

Rear Admiral

Postby rmartz » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:42 pm

Deep6 (Jam-1) contracts.

, in what? :lol:

I suspect it should say Deep6, in Jam-1

Then when we sell multiple contracts, we get this.

You can see the red arrow pointing at the number there. It would be nice to have a total for the entire sale, but just removing the number thing would be ggreeaaatt.

It also only reports the last two contracts even if you have 4 or 5 that you are delivering. Not sure we need a screen flood of responses, but wanted to share this for consideration.
Check out RAM Memories.
Visit AscentExtras.com for player built game tools, guilds, and links to game related data.
User

rmartz

Rank

Rear Admiral

Rear Admiral

Postby rmartz » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:45 pm

Warehouses often loose their alphabetical listing.

Often when new materials are added, it gets a little wacky. It doesn't happen to all players, just some. Mostly me. I think this is one of those "Annoy RAM" features Jam codes in.

Whenever we hover over warehouses, we get a readout of contents. Alphabetical listing here would be nice also. I personally like the 0 amounts showing here. It is often an easy way to spot things you are out of since the warehouse interface, once clicked, hides any 0 valued items.

Last edited by rmartz on Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Check out RAM Memories.
User

rmartz

Rank

Rear Admiral

Rear Admiral

Postby rmartz » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:53 pm

In the Research Lab and Research Complex, we have no way of knowing how many times we have enhanced research on our farms or mines. It would really be nice to show the level of enhancement here.

It shows the increase in production from enhanced production research on the farms and mines, but not the level.

You can see it here when you are actually in the process of researching a level of enhanced production here. So the data is available, just would be nice to have it added these other places.

Check out RAM Memories.
User

rmartz

Rank

Rear Admiral

Rear Admiral

Postby rmartz » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:59 pm

The powered on or off status shows on buildings when we hover over them.

Yet, when we click the Power On/Off button to set the power states of buildings, it does not show. We often have to toggle back and forth to know which buildings are powered on or off.

This is the data we get when the Power On/Off button is selected. The power state is the only thing that needs to be shown here, but other data is fine also.
Check out RAM Memories.
User

rmartz

Rank

Rear Admiral

Rear Admiral

Postby rmartz » Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:01 pm

When Plan Buildings are selected, they are not listed in Alphabetical either. As you progress, the list gets long and you have to do a little hunting to find the building you want to plan.

Check out RAM Memories.
User

rmartz

Rank

Rear Admiral

Rear Admiral

Postby rmartz » Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:10 pm

In Apollo Deep Space, where we each have an Inner StarBase (ISB) We have an Open Warehouse button. Jam said this is a single instance and can easily be done, but the outer starbases (OSB) not so easy because you have to click the actual building to open up the warehouse.

Having an Open Warehouse button at OSB and colonies would really help. When planning and building, especially colonies, we can be pretty far from warehouses to click them to get access.

This really leads into another design issue that is discussed a lot by players. We have to load materials into our ships to supply any planned building. So even though we have lots in a colony warehouse, we have to load it into the cargo of the ship, then click the building, or the Supply All button, to supply the planned buildings. Being able to supply right from warehouse would really make the process so much easier. An Open Warehouse button would really be nice too. I understand some of the struggles and why it has been hard. Not sure this will work, but I thought if, nothing else, was tied to the Stock Market, so if you build a Stock Market, you get a Open Stock Market Button AND a Open Warehouse Button. It might not always work when you are real far from the Stock Market, but it would be better than hunting buildings to click the warehouse so you can get cargo.

Transferring cargo to and from the ship is a MAJOR part of game play. It may seem small, but it would have a big impact on game play if this process was improved. Supply from warehouse and a way to access the warehouse easily are both things that will be used often, daily, continually, and a lot.

Also an Unload All from ship to warehouse would be a nice addition.
Check out RAM Memories.
User

rmartz

Rank

Rear Admiral

Rear Admiral

Postby rmartz » Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:18 pm

Not a big deal, but something I have noticed is the Shipyard Construction interface does not live update and holds the multiplier from the last amount selected when you set Shipyard Construction.

This is right before I planned to start construction of 4 modules.

Now, until I leave and return, anything I plan will show the materials for 4, not 1.

Here I selected another module and selected 1, the readout still shows what it will take to build 4. Once I click Start Production, I think, it only deducts for one, but I have never tested it. I don't run that tight of a ship that I keep such good count of all my stuff. I could test it if needed easily. Just let me know. Not sure how easy live updating this would be. Might take a new button to update readout and really get messy. Might need to be ignored. I would say low priority from a player standpoint if it is not actually deducting incorrectly. Just wanted to pass this on.

Got to thinking about this and just wonder if we cleared the multiplier when we go to reopen the Shipyard Construction interface. This would mean every time we opened it, it would revert back to 1. Maybe a simple fix for a minor thing.
Last edited by rmartz on Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out RAM Memories.
Next