A real 3D navigation tool

This is where you can suggest new features and discuss upcoming features.
User

Kambalo

Rank

Lt Commander

Lt Commander

Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:59 pm

Re: A real 3D navigation tool

Postby Kambalo » Thu May 26, 2016 1:19 pm

Not me, I am dumb as a stump. :D
Seek and ye shall find.
The Master
User

rmartz

Rank

Rear Admiral

Rear Admiral

Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:37 pm

Postby rmartz » Thu May 26, 2016 3:26 pm

raw1990 wrote:Is everybody playing Ascent that smart?! :shock:

That is part of the challenge. What makes sense to one, will not make sense to another. We also have many cultures that all view things a little differently. Just creating the few things I have, I realize the challenge of making it make sense and work for everyone.
Ingame accounts: RAM, rmartz
Check out RAM Memories.
Visit AscentExtras.com for player built game tools, guilds, and links to game related data.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
User

Moneyman

Rank

Captain

Captain

Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:53 pm

Massachusetts

Postby Moneyman » Thu May 26, 2016 8:54 pm

:mrgreen: The algebra is to explain to JAM what the change requires.

Earlier today I sent JAM and RAM, etc a pm about the above posting - last weekend's (me included) emails about the JAM-1 mission probably seemed like an avalanche of ill will to JAM.

The images at the top of my earlier posting are mainly for the players - I have an OpenOffice file with even more algebra to get JAM started on the coding once he is able to take a breath.
User

davh62

Rank

Commodore

Commodore

Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:40 pm

UK

Postby davh62 » Thu May 26, 2016 9:56 pm

OMG that math made my brain bleed :lol:

Are you a rocket scientist money?
FG Fighters Guild Founder
Senator of Ferrite-Senator of Prime-Senator of Barons Rest- Hater of rams speaking date stamp
User

Leprosi

Rank

Lt Commander

Lt Commander

Mon May 04, 2015 11:31 pm

Zephrondus - Turtle Strippers Consortium

Postby Leprosi » Fri May 27, 2016 12:46 am

Thanks moneyman - my one single brain cell in now whimpering in a corner.

I do like the image you posted.
Leprosi

Senator
User

Moneyman

Rank

Captain

Captain

Massachusetts

Postby Moneyman » Fri May 27, 2016 1:09 pm

:mrgreen: Just BAS long ago in Math, Computer Science - Though one of my favorite reads is recent Academia.edu Physics postings - a bit more graphics / images would make the reads easier. It gives me a current sense of the Science.

I have a lot of programming experience - until recently writing exotic (i.e. pushing the limit) Python code for fun but the grey cells are not up to that any more.

This nav change will give Ascent an edge over competitors and, hopefully, more cash in JAM's wallet.

I did the algebra so that it is more likely JAM will do the change soon - there is a bit more to logic than the above posting shows.

Now for a side comment: ImageBookmark http://ascentextras.com as your primary direction for newer players asking question(s) - read first then ask an informed question.

The bookmark will get the newer players to the most important links: Wiki & Forum.

Clicking Downloads gets access to RAM downloads AND Moneyman.

Encourage newer players to ask informed questions - its kinder to you and the newer players - Generally, you have more interesting things to chat about than answering the same question over and over.
User

Mooncrest

Rank

Commodore

Commodore

Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:19 pm

MIB Tyngbraneth, Miner's Paradise

Postby Mooncrest » Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:37 pm

Moneyman wrote:In the big picture there is 3D navigation via the map BUT I'm talking about 3D navigation within a solar system!!!
I'm having a devil of a time matching orbit with asteroids using thrusters - one distance measure and one velocity measure is acceptable for landing at a colony BUT not acceptable in chasing asteroids!!! At least a colony has a navigation beam.
I need three numbers for axis distance and change in approach to each axis OTHERWISE mining is a very painful and frustrating form of game play for me. A game developer should show greater mercy to players like me.
You did notice the asteroid and ship in my image? The map has little to do with asteroids!!!
Sorry. I'm not Starbuck - I need buttons and navigation beams. :mrgreen:

I would not normally resurrect an old post, but following the convo in General yesterday, I feel that you are missing out on a fun element of the game bu not being able to mine asteroids and I would, if I can, like to help you do this.

First, I think that you are over-complicating in-system navigation. Basically, when asteroid mining, you need to be in first person mode. This gives you the view from the cockpit of your ship. Then you select a target asteroid by left clicking on it. You can see asteroids up to 100km distant. The asteroid will have its name displayed beside it when it get to within 50km of your ship. You can activate your mining laser when the asteroid is within 5km: further out if you have a higher than Class 1 Mining Beam.

This gives you two points in space: your ship and the asteroid. The readout at the top of the screen tells you how far away the asteroid is. This number is updated continually so you can gauge how fast you are closing, or not, you are with the asteroid. You move towards the asteroid, always leading it, as you would if, say, tracking a bird in flight with a shotgun. As the asteroid gets closer, so you need to slow so that you do not overshoot: Use of the Grav Anchor, plus delicate use of the throttle is required here: this is a skill that has to be learnt. It is sometimes beneficial to let the asteroid fly past and chase after it as this can be easier than trying to keep distance as the asteroid is moving toward you. Then all you have to do is learn when to stop the Mining Beam before you blow up the asteroid.

I use the keyboard and mouse when I am mining asteroids. being right-handed I operate the spacebar (aft thruster) and Left Alt (Grav Anchor) with my left hand and manoeuvre the ship and fire the Mining Beam with the Right and Left mouse buttons.

GinGurGurl of BLADES Group has done a very informative asteroid mining video on You Tube using the new UI. Here is a link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giR2PuiCvM4
User

Moneyman

Rank

Captain

Captain

Massachusetts

Postby Moneyman » Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:44 pm

Mooncrest wrote:
Moneyman wrote:In the big picture there is 3D navigation via the map BUT I'm talking about 3D navigation within a solar system!!!
I'm having a devil of a time matching orbit with asteroids using thrusters - one distance measure and one velocity measure is acceptable for landing at a colony BUT not acceptable in chasing asteroids!!! At least a colony has a navigation beam.
I need three numbers for axis distance and change in approach to each axis OTHERWISE mining is a very painful and frustrating form of game play for me. A game developer should show greater mercy to players like me.
You did notice the asteroid and ship in my image? The map has little to do with asteroids!!!
Sorry. I'm not Starbuck - I need buttons and navigation beams. :mrgreen:

I would not normally resurrect an old post, but following the convo in General yesterday, I feel that you are missing out on a fun element of the game bu not being able to mine asteroids and I would, if I can, like to help you do this.

First, I think that you are over-complicating in-system navigation. Basically, when asteroid mining, you need to be in first person mode. This gives you the view from the cockpit of your ship. Then you select a target asteroid by left clicking on it. You can see asteroids up to 100km distant. The asteroid will have its name displayed beside it when it get to within 50km of your ship. You can activate your mining laser when the asteroid is within 5km: further out if you have a higher than Class 1 Mining Beam.

This gives you two points in space: your ship and the asteroid. The readout at the top of the screen tells you how far away the asteroid is. This number is updated continually so you can gauge how fast you are closing, or not, you are with the asteroid. You move towards the asteroid, always leading it, as you would if, say, tracking a bird in flight with a shotgun. As the asteroid gets closer, so you need to slow so that you do not overshoot: Use of the Grav Anchor, plus delicate use of the throttle is required here: this is a skill that has to be learnt. It is sometimes beneficial to let the asteroid fly past and chase after it as this can be easier than trying to keep distance as the asteroid is moving toward you. Then all you have to do is learn when to stop the Mining Beam before you blow up the asteroid.

I use the keyboard and mouse when I am mining asteroids. being right-handed I operate the spacebar (aft thruster) and Left Alt (Grav Anchor) with my left hand and manoeuvre the ship and fire the Mining Beam with the Right and Left mouse buttons.

GinGurGurl of BLADES Group has done a very informative asteroid mining video on You Tube using the new UI. Here is a link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giR2PuiCvM4

:mrgreen: OK, for you Moon, I'll think about it.
User

Moneyman

Rank

Captain

Captain

Massachusetts

Postby Moneyman » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:27 am

:mrgreen: Bumped.
Previous