New UI Release Suggestions

This is where you can suggest new features and discuss upcoming features.
User

rmartz

Rank

Rear Admiral

Rear Admiral

Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:37 pm

Re: New UI Release Suggestions

Postby rmartz » Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:13 pm

Still no indicator when powering up or down buildings what state they are in when selecting Power Modules on/off.

Ingame accounts: RAM, rmartz
Check out RAM Memories.
Visit AscentExtras.com for player built game tools, guilds, and links to game related data.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
User

rmartz

Rank

Rear Admiral

Rear Admiral

Postby rmartz » Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:55 pm

Here is the Maininstruction area while exploring.

It is really hard to read and with the autohide feature, we can not get the info from it we need before it disappears.

I had another idea that might actually be better. What if we just added gravity, atmo comp, tempc and pressure to the soil sample? Not saying it needs to be added to the soil sample dump, but that would be great too. If it just displayed on the soil sample UI, the maininstruction autohide would not be an issue and might be good to actually autohide.

I really think this would enhance exploration. It also eliminates the need to use or know so many ship computer commands. Makes it much more user friendly.
Check out RAM Memories.
Visit AscentExtras.com for player built game tools, guilds, and links to game related data.
no avatar
User

jam

Rank

Developer

Developer

Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:24 pm

Postby jam » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:23 pm

In next client update:

• Added option auto repair
  • Added option auto open warehouse
  • Added option auto open autopilot
  • Custom instruments no longer auto hide (could make this an option if needed, let me know)
  • Blank types buildings no longer show in overview
  • Obviously many bug fixes
  • Autopilot tweak for encounters (shows more dynamic encounter details)
...............................................................................................................................................
Thanks for playing, thanks for posting, and thanks for your feedback!
User

rmartz

Rank

Rear Admiral

Rear Admiral

Postby rmartz » Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:50 pm

jam wrote:In next client update:

• Added option auto repair
  • Added option auto open warehouse
  • Added option auto open autopilot
  • Custom instruments no longer auto hide (could make this an option if needed, let me know)
  • Blank types buildings no longer show in overview
  • Obviously many bug fixes
  • Autopilot tweak for encounters (shows more dynamic encounter details)

Can't wait!

Thanks.
Check out RAM Memories.
User

rmartz

Rank

Rear Admiral

Rear Admiral

Postby rmartz » Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:57 am

OH sooo loving the options added. Really working well.

Since I am on a roll, here is a few more:

I really think sorting from the first column at open would be best. This would put our colonies at the top and one less click. Few decide where to go from distance. While neat to see and have, not a determining factor in play.

Also, when we do click a column to sort with, the list does not return to the top, it stays where it was in the previous sort. This means we need to try to grab it and slide it. Hard in crowded systems. Could this return to the top at resorting?

I am enjoying the new encounters. The fps really drops with the debris. After about 3-4 missions I have to jump out and back or it gets so choppy it is hard to play.
Check out RAM Memories.
User

Worm

Rank

Lieutenant

Lieutenant

Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:45 pm

Atlanta, Georgia

Postby Worm » Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:26 pm

I'd like to add that the transparency of the grav anchor icon allows for complete white out when in a pure hydro GG. When whited out you can only see the highlight color and wouldn't you know it, it's opposite that of the current icon color, so the green anchor has a red highlight and the red anchor has a green highlight. Entirely workable once you figure that out but insanely confusing until you do.

On a similar note it would be very desirable to have a toggle that switches the UI between white and black text so we could potentially be able to read the UI in any conditions.
User

Mooncrest

Rank

Commodore

Commodore

Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:19 pm

MITH Menzel 3

Re: New UI Release Suggestions - Ship Module Refit

Postby Mooncrest » Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:56 pm

Much as I like the appearance of the new UI, the method of refitting ship modules is not good. I much prefer the old method where we could see exactly what modules were on the ship in the order we loaded them and exactly what modules were in the Hangar. In this way it was clear what you were working with. Now as we use modules, either adding or removing them, the lists change as the modules description changes when it is loaded or unleaded. When you are working with fifty modules at a time, as I often am being a shipbuilder, this adds a significant amount of time to what should be a simple process. Also, it is not clear which modules are fitted to the ship and which modules are stored on the ship; so it is very possible to remove a fitted module instead of the stored module you had intended to unload. You could determine this easily with the old system as you knew which was the last installed module on a particular ship.

I would like to suggest three different actions: Fit/Store Module, Remove Module and Load Ship. Something like this:
  • The Fit/Store Module action would only list modules stored at the Station/ISB/OSB.
    EDIT
    The FIT and STORE command buttons should fill each column, so that the player can choose which to do.
    I must have had a bit of a brain failure when I did this. :oops:

• The Remove Module action would only list modules fitted or stored and ships loaded on the ship. With the REMOVE action in the rightmost column and indicating FITTED or STORED, if possible, in the column to the left of the action column
  • The Load Ship action would only list ships stored at the Station/ISB/OSB

In the images I, obviously, have not completed inserting all the action buttons and captions in the two rightmost columns, but, hopefully, it gives an idea of what I mean.
Last edited by Mooncrest on Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
User

rmartz

Rank

Rear Admiral

Rear Admiral

Postby rmartz » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:46 pm

I agree with Moon that the refit is rather confusing when you have multiple modules in the shipyard and on the ship.

I also would like to request the live distance measurement be returned to the cursor in mining.

The issue comes when we mine dogbones. The measurement at the top shows the distance to the center, but the beam measures to the surface . I keep my cursor dead center of the recticle so I can tell the distance to the location I am beaming. In the live version, this measurement is live. It changes as the distance changes. In the new UI, it is stagnant from when the cursor first goes over the asteroid. As you can see on the image, the center measurement is from when the rock was at a distance and I have to actually click on the asteroid to measure distance to the asteroid, and again that is just to the center point, not surface that is being beamed.

Other than this and some low fps at some fields, mining in the new UI seems to be working well.
Check out RAM Memories.
User

Mooncrest

Rank

Commodore

Commodore

Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:19 pm

MITH Menzel 3

Postby Mooncrest » Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:14 pm

I agree with rmartz, the tooltip distance needs to be the distance to the surface of the asteroid and needs to be constantly updated as the asteroid is mined. This information is essential when mining the large "dog bone" asteroids because you need to know if the surface is getting close to your ship so you can back off a little. Some "dog bone" asteroids have a mineable surface 10km+ from the centre of the asteroid.

Also, I think that the tooltip that gives the list of materials that need to be supplied to a gate should update when a delivery is made. At the moment a message is given that material has been supplied, but the tooltip does not update until the curor is moved away from the gate and back onto it.
no avatar
User

shathiell

Rank

Lt Commander

Lt Commander

Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:03 am

Postby shathiell » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:20 am

A few issues/concerns I have with the new UI:

• There is no way to find out how much warehouse space is used/total
  • The active screen/window doesn't often take precedence with the mouse pointer. This is especially noticeable with the Galaxy Map Screen where you can sometimes click on your ship and bring up your ship menu when trying to click on a star. It is also noticeable in other windows (Such as NPC Station ones)
  • The active screen/window should close/hide all other boxes which are currently active. When you open up your map at a colony/OSB you have overlap with the OSB/Colony windows and others. The Map screen should take precedence and hide everything else
PreviousNext