Combat Skill

This is where you can suggest new features and discuss upcoming features.
User

rmartz

Rank

Rear Admiral

Rear Admiral

Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:37 pm

Combat Skill

Postby rmartz » Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:13 am

I would like to suggest a Combat Skill be added. This could work similar to the Mining Skill or Skimming Skill and be a small multiplier to the damage done.

Jam was open and suggested posting on the forums for discussion. He suggested maybe even a Shield and Armour Skill. This would generate a change to increase when you are hit.

I was thinking it would be nice to have skills for each of the weapons types, but a general combat skill would work also.

We will have payouts for Pirate encounters as soon as Jam gets the server side coded. This is happening right away. This would mean a player could come in and basically use this as a carrier field. A skill to give a slight bonus, similar to what mining skill does, would really make sense. This means a person who does spend time in combat would be more skilled and know where and how to hit his opponents causing more damage. Not double, but a gradually decreasing bonus like mining.

Any other ideas or input? Fire away!! :lol:
Ingame accounts: RAM, rmartz
Check out RAM Memories.
Visit AscentExtras.com for player built game tools, guilds, and links to game related data.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
User

Worm

Rank

Lieutenant

Lieutenant

Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:45 pm

Atlanta, Georgia

Re: Combat Skill

Postby Worm » Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:41 am

Personally i'd like to see some other weapon types before skills for them are introduced.
We have energy weapons and while the three types behave differently they all do the same type of damage.
We need other damage types such as explosive and ballistic.
Now, it's true that this path will require the addition of various types of armor to defend against specific types of damage but I think these additions are vital to make combat more dynamic and challenging.
User

rmartz

Rank

Rear Admiral

Rear Admiral

Postby rmartz » Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:56 am

Worm wrote:Personally i'd like to see some other weapon types before skills for them are introduced.
We have energy weapons and while the three types behave differently they all do the same type of damage.
We need other damage types such as explosive and ballistic.
Now, it's true that this path will require the addition of various types of armor to defend against specific types of damage but I think these additions are vital to make combat more dynamic and challenging.

I like the class energy weapons and a skill for that. It would be easy to add skills for each class once it is implemented. The skills could be done very quickly and immediately, while the new classes will take more time.
Check out RAM Memories.
Visit AscentExtras.com for player built game tools, guilds, and links to game related data.
User

davh62

Rank

Commodore

Commodore

Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:40 pm

UK

Postby davh62 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:47 am

It's all good!

I have to say the game has leapt forward the last couple of weeks. Keep up the good work Jam.
FG Fighters Guild Founder
Senator of Ferrite-Senator of Prime-Senator of Barons Rest- Hater of rams speaking date stamp
User

rmartz

Rank

Rear Admiral

Rear Admiral

Postby rmartz » Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:09 pm

fleas, here is the thread I was telling you about.
Check out RAM Memories.
User

gotpurplefleas

Rank

Lt Commander

Lt Commander

Wed May 13, 2015 6:21 pm

Postby gotpurplefleas » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:59 pm

Hi all...o/

Recently in-game events concerning player conflicts, and the resolution of them, has brought the subject of pvp/pve, or non-pvp/pve back to the forefront of my thinking...which as you know can take a while to congeal into anything real...lol...but I have had thoughts running around in my brain for a couple of weeks and they have tuned into flea-jello...so here goes.

The question that seems to have been repeatedly asked throughout the process of developing this game is...How does Jam, as the developer and main storyline writer of this game, hold onto the integrity of a wonderful and highly immersive storyline, while still attracting the high percentages of the players in the gaming community that are required to become a self generating and successful game? Players that by and large could ensure the future success of Ascent, because they are younger and more passionate about gaming than most of us that are currently holding down the player base. We are a good group of people, and many of us have loved being a community of peace-loving entrepreneurs, but we are not the largest slice of the pie that is the gaming community overall...in fact...we make up less than 10% of the Steam gaming community on a global scale. During the history of my personal Ascent game-play experience I have had many notions and have watched many attempts at this potential player base...Some have furthered this cause a little...Some have not...

I was looking at the steam charts website yesterday, and I noticed a few things. The one that pertains to this discussion I think is this...The top ten games being played in Steam are all pvp oriented games. Some of them also have very strong pve as well. Now, to put that into perspective, this means that the top online game in Steam is averaging over 1 million players online at one time and logged into their game. By comparison Ascent currently averages about 25 players online at one time. To those of us that have played this game for a while this comes as a real shocker, because we don't understand why this should be the case...but it is what it is...so I suggest that all older players of this game throw out their own personal judgements of what's a good game so that we can finish this discussion, using some different perspective. We have proven that we just don't know what most players want to experience when trying a new game, nor what holds a normal player's attention during long term gameplay. I include myself in this assessment so don't think I'm singling anyone out.

Back to the original question..."Is there a way to appeal to a larger cross-section of the overall gaming community while still appealing to all of those with long term investment in Ascent?"
My answer to that is a resounding..."Yes!" Through some small changes to the features of this game, I believe Jam could attract many many more players to try this game as a new game, and they would be encouraged to stick around once they started. Here is an idea...this has been suggested before so I don't claim it, but I think that it would work so I will state it anyhow.

It has been suggested to Jam and discussed with him that he build another hub or 2 out in the galaxy. I hereby suggest only One more computer generated hub, complete with at least one Space Station, colonists for colonizing, a market for trading, and a governmental structure that differs from the Inner 9, in that it is driven and maintained by a system Lord and has a power driven order. This hub needs to be placed way out in the Red Zone, and Red Zone pvp needs to be fully installed into Ascent. All game development would need to focus strictly on this aspect of the game until dogfighting and npc piloted fighters were perfected. The system may be limited in technology to reflect a history of war and piracy, and a hope for progress written into the overall game storyline, through potential connections with the current human population after crossing into a peaceful safe zone, and could be an interface for those that have opted in to this environment and may want a different style gameplay later on. At the time a new player enters the game they would be offered a choice between pvp or non-pvp. If they choose pvp then they would be installed into the game at this system. If not, then they would be installed into the game and go thru the same tuts as is currently happening.

Jam has stated that he needs proof that something like this would work before actually attempting it. I suggest that something like this will have to be tried before you can acquire that proof. If it worked this feature change would be huge...and immediately lucrative. If it doesn't work the worst case is that it would be mildly successful...

I suggest that the idea that we need more players takes precedence during this discussion, and that it does so now. That is my case for this idea.
gotpurplefleas
Senator of Food Court
User

rmartz

Rank

Rear Admiral

Rear Admiral

Postby rmartz » Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:52 am

The challenge with PvP in a MMO is what happens when someone else attacks your base while you are off line?

One thought, and this could work for PvE along with PvP. Stockpile resources. These are used to repair your colony/OSB if attacked while you are out of game. This would allow for consumption of the vast resources we have. This would also motivate some who want to have combat a reason to build a strong colony.

I think what you say has merits, but I wonder if a strong PvE structure would work as well. Maybe it will not bring in 1 million, but an extra 50-100 players per day would make this game very sustainable.

I think this is some of the reasons why Jam has been working on a combat revamp of late.

I also think adding some leveling skills gives a reason to do things. I think an easy add to start would be the combat skills. Allowing them to be a slight modifier to damage as it is to mining yield or trade would not skew things too much, but Luke did take out the death star with an X wing. We have historical evidence that a smaller ship can do some real damage with a gifted pilot in all the Star Wars movies. Those things are real, right?
Check out RAM Memories.
User

Moneyman

Rank

Captain

Captain

Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:53 pm

Massachusetts

Postby Moneyman » Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:34 pm

:mrgreen: I think 25 players at any one time might be a busy time .. I've seen a lot less activity than that. :)

:idea: Frankly, JAM is never going to have the $$$ to compete with the popular games.

:!: A game emphasizing player community focus may seem a trivial advantage to you .. especially if you are very young.

:?: How does a million players seem big to you when there are billions of people in this world?

:!: Minor competitors to Facebook, a social network, have a lot more than a million participants.

:idea: That is what JAM 's game is: A social network.

:?: Is the focus of building more-and-more space gates make sense when the overall player population is tiny?

:arrow: Why do established players spend so much time at the public channels? Social network. :D

:?: Do you want to get JAM $$$? If so, think: social network.

:idea: Chasing after young game players won't get JAM the $$$. :)

:?: Do want JAM to make effective changes to the game? He needs $$$.

:?: Do you really want to convert Ascent into another EVE? Chase young game players. :roll:

:arrow: Do you really care about JAM being successful? Look at the real asset: Community.

:idea: Weapons eventually bring NvP and PvP and demands for more weapons and more conflict. Haven't we had enough yet?

:!: I'm sorry that you think OLD is bad .. I don't. All my friends here are old and I like it that way. Ask Alice, she knows. :shock:

:| Weapons can be good unless they are pointed at you. My sister, in Vermont, uses them on deer.

:idea: Help JAM increase his advantage and get the player population his way: Do what we are good at? :)

:arrow: Do a lot more social networking and a lot less gate building. I know: Heresy. :evil:
User

davh62

Rank

Commodore

Commodore

Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:40 pm

UK

Postby davh62 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:12 pm

Good post fleas.Historically it's a more mature player base that is retained. Bringing in RZ is a must to widen player base but coupled with a way to attract the senior gamers.
I'm still for an alien npc enemy to be introduced to allow us a focus on combat as a community. There needs to be a tangible threat to our in game world. This could be a separate PVE area to RZ such as the Black zone. Thus giving players the choice of three arenas.
FG Fighters Guild Founder
Senator of Ferrite-Senator of Prime-Senator of Barons Rest- Hater of rams speaking date stamp
User

rmartz

Rank

Rear Admiral

Rear Admiral

Postby rmartz » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:04 pm

davh62 wrote:This could be a separate PVE area to RZ such as the Black zone.

I thought aliens were green.
Check out RAM Memories.
Next