Combat Skill

This is where you can suggest new features and discuss upcoming features.
User

Altairus

Rank

2nd Lieutenant

2nd Lieutenant

Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:25 pm

Annwvyn

Re: Combat Skill

Postby Altairus » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:17 am

rmartz wrote:
davh62 wrote:This could be a separate PVE area to RZ such as the Black zone.

I thought aliens were green.

Or grey...
Senator of Dyfed
User

rmartz

Rank

Rear Admiral

Rear Admiral

Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:37 pm

Postby rmartz » Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:40 am

Altairus wrote:Or grey...

Oh yea. I forgot about those grey ones. 8-)
Ingame accounts: RAM, rmartz
Check out RAM Memories.
Visit AscentExtras.com for player built game tools, guilds, and links to game related data.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
no avatar
User

darkwhistle

Rank

Ensign

Ensign

Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:49 pm

Postby darkwhistle » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:56 pm

How about small steps instead of giant leaps? What about adding pve combat missions that require player cooperation? How about a "boss pirate"?
User

Moneyman

Rank

Captain

Captain

Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:53 pm

Massachusetts

Postby Moneyman » Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:50 pm

darkwhistle wrote:How about small steps instead of giant leaps? What about adding pve combat missions that require player cooperation? How about a "boss pirate"?

:mrgreen: Here is a real tough question:

:?: Why is it so important that Ascent mimic what every other online space game has - including EVE? :)

:idea: My point: JAM needs $$$ from a large number of new players .. Why not focus on that? :D
User

rmartz

Rank

Rear Admiral

Rear Admiral

Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:37 pm

Postby rmartz » Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:03 pm

Moneyman wrote:
:mrgreen: Here is a real tough question:

:?: Why is it so important that Ascent mimic what every other online space game has - including EVE? :)

:idea: My point: JAM needs $$$ from a large number of new players .. Why not focus on that? :D

I am glad that it doesn't and will not. Jam makes sure that there will always be safe spaces for us carebears. Vargie taught me that term. Sure miss him. he was fun. Combat has never been nor I doubt will ever be the core of the game. It does seem to be something many do want some level of. The challenge is developing something that is fun, engaging, and does not upset the balance of the industrial side of the game, which does dominate. Jam has said previously that there is no reason to try to compete with many of the games that are mostly combat because they have done it really well. He wants to build something else.

I think fleas is thinking and looking at the massive amount of people who like PvP. Thinking some of that could leech here. I agree more with davh that a strong PvE team play structure would do about the same and not break up the community focus we have. Enemies unite to fight a common foe.

The reason why I suggested combat skill, is that is would be something very easy to add, would give a little motivation and we could see if it develops more interest. If so, then Jam would have an indicator to move more in that direction. Why spend months of design time only to find out that those PvP players are not coming anyway. How about a 1 hour addition that blends well with existing game design and would be a start at seeing of combat is something to continue to develop or not.
Ingame accounts: RAM, rmartz
Check out RAM Memories.
Visit AscentExtras.com for player built game tools, guilds, and links to game related data.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
User

LadyHawk

Rank

Lieutenant

Lieutenant

Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:25 pm

Postby LadyHawk » Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:29 pm

Let me preface all the following comments with my vow that I will support whatever Jam decides to do with this game because I want this community to prosper and grow forever.

I agree with your sentiment, Fleas, that we all would like to help Jam capture a much bigger player base to support his ongoing development efforts. I do not agree, however, that pursuing the hardcore PvP players is a realistic or desireable goal. Even the harshest reviews I’ve read on Ascent, all still compliment its player community…and mixing in the kind of rude, obnoxious, taunting, bullying type behaviors of hardcore PvP’rs would make it nearly impossible to maintain that kind of community. To set up the Red Zone as an entirely separate entity which doesn’t even communicate with the rest of us, I suppose would be safe but kinda weird, don’t you think? Like a 2nd game imbedded in the first?

Since we do have such a great community, I think…as MoneyMan alluded to…we should focus on enhancing its impact. A few more chat tools from Jam would go a long way to making ingame communication easier and more friendly. A little work by the community to liven up the forums, could make them seem more welcoming and fun. I love you guys but, honestly, it took me a very long time to start to get involved in the forums because you all sounded so stiff and formal….envision a stuffy board room with a lot of middle-aged men in suits, puffing on cigars while they sip their brandy, planning the next merger and harrumphing about some new complication to delay it. I know you now well enough to smile rather than be intimidated, but a little laughter and mischief would go a long way to lightening things up, make them more inviting.

I think Ram’s suggestion for a combat skill ought to be an easy thing to add to the game and could do no harm. Also Darkwhistle’s suggestion of a pirate boss that it took simultaneous hits from multiple players to defeat would be great. The community working together to defeat a common foe is bound to draw them together. Maybe when the pirate boss is defeated, we’d find treasure in his cargo hold to split among all the participants…there’s motivation to do it again.

Further out in the future, more PvE threats…like maybe a few planets that haven’t yet been colonized because of a hostile alien species there. The community, united to defeat those enemies, could work at making them safe to settle for the brave of heart. But, the settlers must be made aware they’re not as safe colonizing in that Zone…the aliens are still watching…occasionally raiding? Oh, and there might be occasional asteroid hits to those planets too….or plagues that break out? I don’t know…something like a space-based SimCity. I’d choose to play the version we have now, with the ‘no disasters’ button on. Other players who like more excitement, can elect to fight the problems. If some of the veteran players who are addicted to building had a chance to colonize there, they would have to rebuild their colonies from time to time. That actually sounds more fun and healthy than the mega-colonies that take so much time and effort to manage.

Just my 2 cents
User

Moneyman

Rank

Captain

Captain

Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:53 pm

Massachusetts

Postby Moneyman » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:47 pm

:mrgreen: Fleas and I both agree: You are a Lady with a lot of good ideas .. Thanks for sharing them. :D
Previous