State of the Game and Company, April 2016

This is where you can suggest new features and discuss upcoming features.
no avatar
User

RAM

Rank

Captain

Captain

Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:36 am

Re: State of the Game and Company, April 2016

Postby RAM » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:39 pm

Jam just shared that he is working on TMG, but wants to do a few things for Ascent during this time too. he doesn't want to leave it. "can't just leave it!" is the exact quote.

Tobacco has also been added to the Local Markets.
"The UNCA is not your boss!" ~ Jessica Steele
Fan Fiction from an old timer - RAM Memories
User

BoshingTong

Rank

Commander

Commander

Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:46 am

USA, Pa

Postby BoshingTong » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:03 pm

RAM wrote:Jam just shared that he is working on TMG, but wants to do a few things for Ascent during this time too. he doesn't want to leave it. "can't just leave it!" is the exact quote.

Any ideas of what he wants to address?
Owner of BSFA (Bosh Survey & Freightage Authority)
Senator of Logopolis, New Dawn, Babylon
Governor of Poosh, Tigland, Prime Sun, Babel

Mayor of all BSFA Colonies & OSBs
User

Mooncrest

Rank

Commodore

Commodore

Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:19 pm

MIB Tyngbraneth, Miner's Paradise

Postby Mooncrest » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:03 pm

BoshingTong wrote:
RAM wrote:Jam just shared that he is working on TMG, but wants to do a few things for Ascent during this time too. he doesn't want to leave it. "can't just leave it!" is the exact quote.

Any ideas of what he wants to address?

Anything would be good, but...

I have my little heart set on getting rid of the invalid results on the Stock Market search results. Player to Player trade should open up when we can rely on making a sale

Oh No! I'm getting all RAM about this! :mrgreen: .
User

Loke

Rank

Lt Commander

Lt Commander

Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:39 pm

Postby Loke » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:11 pm

Mooncrest wrote:I have my little heart set on getting rid of the invalid results on the Stock Market search results. Player to Player trade should open up when we can rely on making a sale

+1
Callsign: Fraaggii or Loke
Senator Loke of Primo Spe, 8086, New Horizon, Skadi, Darkfield and Niu Heimar

Statistics for Nio and Tin prices: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3427
User

LadyHawk

Rank

Lt Commander

Lt Commander

Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:25 pm

Postby LadyHawk » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:53 pm

Awesome! Thank you for making sure we noticed it, Ram, and thank you Jam, for not wanting to just leave us here!!!
no avatar
User

RAM

Rank

Captain

Captain

Postby RAM » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:16 pm

Jam and I had a nice discussion the other day. Lots going into the new updated client, but it will have to wait a while. This is specifically because Unity has been updated. He said it has a LOT of performance updates and lots of code updates too, but with the new engine, we know a LOT will be broken and it will take him a lot of time to debug all that. This means he new client is on hold for release. He is adding things into the coding (like Algae) but can not release it until he has recoded for the new Unity engine. This means we will have to wait for a new client.

BUT, we still have server side stuff we can do. Here is the last ongoing list I have sent him.

1. Local Market Additions.

2. Delete bugged or unneeded gates. [Planned Titan to Tesla. (Duplicate gate. Another has been completed and working well.) This one is really annoying Xand and causing him a lot of grief.] Jam said the new client would carry this feature.

3. Adding NPC command of rename ship.

3a. Adding command of "How many passenger quarters do you have?" or some such thing. This starts to help us debug the OSB hospital issue some.

3b. NPC eject command.

4. Adding NPC command of "What is your route?"

4a. Add a space in front of the "and" in the routing command. This way it will ignore words with "and" and only see the " and" to know to connect between two markets. Words with "land" or any word with "and" is bugging out the ability to build a route for the NPC. Lazy man regex.

5. Adding the script to the daily batch run that will clear renamed SM orders and/or SM that are out of space or credits. Just clearing those renamed SM dead orders would be a big help.

5a. Adding the Stock Market Buy/Sell orders to the settlementcache, or a separate cache file. This will allow me to create a interface similar to the Dome Control Program to make SM much easier to use.

6. OSB Hospital Bug. Yea, I know you have looked and can't find anything. One reason why I dropped it to the bottom.

7. Adding NPC Bribe feature that we could bribe inactive NPC to work for us. I figure this is really a pretty big addition, but since you worked so well at clearing out all these other issues, I know you are just bored and was looking for yet more to do.

Along with this, I took it onto myself to present a whole new idea to Jam. I do believe this would be server side and make a big improvement. I will copy and paste what I sent Jam. You can scream at me in a separate thread, so we do not trash this thread up too much.

Now for my full out attack on gate supply.

My request: Allow NPC to supply gates.

I know your thoughts and reasons. Let me share how I think this has changed as the game has progressed.

Gates are monsters. It takes a good size crew to supply them, or a very few very dedicated players. I have watched many a player burn out from the grind of hauling. We already have to haul to the LM. We have to grind out asteroids for the materials to make the modules. We also have to grind away hours and hours mindlessly hauling iron. Early on, I could see the need to keep this a community focused feature. The challenge is that most who start playing now develop some of their own places and paths to go. There is really no unifying purpose for gates anymore. They mostly allow routes to shuttle materials so it is an easier grind to the LM to sell. Because we are in a universe of such abundance, there is not near the demand for trade as the production we can create. This creates a lot of abundances everywhere we are. These abundances have to be hauled to market, or ejected into space. So there is always the grind to market with what we build. Now that there is a well established gate system, there is little need to add more systems to the existing network. How boring is that? Come play and just add to the existing mess. Most all players want to name their own system and add a gate or two. If NPC could haul to gates, this would mean they could build their structure and focus on materials needed for modules, along with hauling the extra resources back to the LM.

One missed secret to allowing NPC to haul to gates is that they can only go to gated systems. So, the far side would still need to be supplied by players in ungated systems. This means NPC would really only supply 50% of the gate. Yes, they could set up some NPC in the ungated system to haul. This would require a massive production and structures to do. I think this brings in much more fun then the constant hauling to the gate, jumping back and forth. With Terraforming about to be completed with algae, we have even more massive projects coming on board that is much more fun. Let's stay focused on the fun stuff and let the NPC haul to gates. I really see no drawback at this time in the game. It also allows gates to be a bigger sink since most will set NPC to haul to a gate and actually finish it instead of give up because it is just too laborious.

I know you are wanting to keep people involved in gate building. I think that worked for a while, but I am not sure the same philosophy will work moving forward. I, too, want Ascent to flourish. I honestly think this would be a net gain to the game and player retention. Few people want to work hard these days. There is plenty in game that takes time and effort. Removing one grind will not make it too easy. It will increase player engagement with the entire game. It will allow some to dream bigger. We have 270 billion stars. Lots of room. Gates with exponential requirements will not get out of hand because of the modules will keep that in balance. I would much rather see 5 people mining to build modules then 10 hauling iron for days and days on end, get burned out, and leave.

Just wanted to keep everyone up to date and let you know that things are going on, although it does not always show that it is.

Jam is also planning on running the game on sale for a few days. This should increase players a bit. Keep your eyes out for new folk needing a little guidance.
no avatar
User

RAM

Rank

Captain

Captain

Postby RAM » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:02 pm

Jam has a TMG demo presentation tomorrow, then he is going to work to get a new release for Ascent ready!

He said the new engine has stopped a LOT of crashes and has several performance improvements. Autopilot delay will most likely not be one of them. He said that would take a redesign.
no avatar
User

DemonicReaper

Rank

Lieutenant

Lieutenant

Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:14 am

Iowa, United States

Postby DemonicReaper » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:19 pm

Yes! Suppose class 16 release would be too much to ask, haha.
no avatar
User

RAM

Rank

Captain

Captain

Postby RAM » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:54 pm

DemonicReaper wrote:Yes! Suppose class 16 release would be too much to ask, haha.

I will ask again, but he alluded to it just the other day. I suspect we will crowd fund it as we discussed previously.
Previous