State of the Game and Company, April 2016

This is where you can suggest new features and discuss upcoming features.
User

davh62

Rank

Captain

Captain

Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:40 pm

UK

Re: State of the Game and Company, April 2016

Postby davh62 » Wed May 11, 2016 5:38 pm

DarkEvilHatred wrote:I am about to buy the game and just wanted to post how I feel about buying into a game like this.

Like this meaning indie, very small development team, on Steam, and just out of Early Access.

I am tired of throwing my money at games that have great potential and are moving in a direction that would end up being a great game but then the developers either end up moving on to a different game or just stop putting the effort into the game that they initially had. I think this is why sales haven't been better thus far. Too many people too tired of getting burnt, especially with Steam games.

I hope this doesn't end up being the case with Ascent and I look forward to seeing you in game shortly.

The current content in game more than does justice to the game cost. Also the game community is one of the best around. You wont be disappointed see you in game soon!
FG Fighters Guild Founder
Senator of Ferrite-Senator of Prime-Senator of Barons Rest- Hater of rams speaking date stamp
User

raw1990

Rank

Lieutenant

Lieutenant

Thu May 05, 2016 12:19 pm

Germany

Postby raw1990 » Thu May 12, 2016 1:43 pm

davh62 wrote:
DarkEvilHatred wrote:I am about to buy the game and just wanted to post how I feel about buying into a game like this.

Like this meaning indie, very small development team, on Steam, and just out of Early Access.

I am tired of throwing my money at games that have great potential and are moving in a direction that would end up being a great game but then the developers either end up moving on to a different game or just stop putting the effort into the game that they initially had. I think this is why sales haven't been better thus far. Too many people too tired of getting burnt, especially with Steam games.

I hope this doesn't end up being the case with Ascent and I look forward to seeing you in game shortly.

The current content in game more than does justice to the game cost. Also the game community is one of the best around. You wont be disappointed see you in game soon!

I agree with every single word!
User

rmartz

Rank

Rear Admiral

Rear Admiral

Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:37 pm

Postby rmartz » Mon May 16, 2016 3:50 pm

http://forum.thespacegame.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2962
I am, in no way trying to go after GameOver here. I just wanted to share with many new players a little of the back story.

GameOver wrote:Sorry to everyone especially Jam for my rant. I got p****d with bug after bug after bug, and lost heart in the game.
The game is great, it just needs bug fixing thats all.

To be fair, you have hit a lot of bugs. The floating dome is very unusual, but it does happen. The issue is the ground does flicker and if you plan at just the "wrong" time, you get a floating building.

Many of these issues come from the seamless play from jump in point to ground EVA and walking around. The issue is the entire system is being tracked by the client. Each dot of location within that system. SO the x,y,z numbers get pretty high. When we are using 32 bit Unity, it was much worse. We could not warp to distant places in the system in one warp because the 32 bit calculations would be off enough to leave us quite a distance from out chosen destination. 64 bit Unity is much better, but it brought in a whole new set of bugs and issues.

The history was like this. FKS was working towards the full Steam Release. Unity5 (64 bit) came out and they were no longer going to support Unity4 (32 bit) Jam was forced to switch over. Lots of crazy issues developed. We went almost a full month without hearing from him at all. All Unity5 development. He knew the UI had to be reworked for the full release. He went at least a month, maybe 2 with no income to cover the cost of a UI guy. Nick came in and was able to work a month before steam release to get the UI updated, but time and funding ran low, so Jam had to finish up transitioning the look of the UI while not updating some of the features like Stock Markets and such.

Again, there is not million dollar/s bank roll developing this game. It is one person coding and now one person doing graphic design. We barely got George on board. We tried to raise $35,000 on the kickstarter to bring him in and almost did not make that goal. It has been a very tight, lean process over the past 2 years. Jam codes, often 80 hours a week, and I think he eats cat food with Louie. He is not getting rich at this point by any means.

This is one reason why we demanded he sell the bowhead and hawk in DLC. It was a way for us to help support the game a little more. He was reluctant because they were gifts at the Kickstarter and he did not want t devalue those who contributed. I tried to tell him to get over it and sell!! We convinced him to do it as a way to pay for the UI rework. That is what helped pay for Nick to do a great job on the new UI, unfinished as it is.

I have been around for well over 2 years. I have watched and listened. I was an am a workaholic at heart. I see this in Jam also. Just a few weeks ago, I saw him in chat. He shared he still loves this game. I was really glad to hear that. It has been a very rough ride. Half of what this game has gone though would have burned out most others. Jam is human and he can get frustrated too. I know the Unity5 transition was really bad timing and very frustrating. If it would have hit a few months before or a few months later, I think the transition would have been much better, but it is what it is. It hit and right after/during the Unity5 transition, the UI rework hit also.

SO, yes there are a lot of bugs. Always has been and always will be. Two reasons. One, Jam brings things in game as fast as he can. With full release, maybe things are different, but we, the community, were always the beta testers. Part of our job was to find the bugs and tell Jam so he could fix them. It is not easy for one person to know every single thing we crazies will try. Let me tell you, I try a LOT of crazy stuff. So he depends on us to help him. Many coming into game are expecting a finely polished game. Well, this ain't it. But with everyone's help, it can get a nice shine.

The second reason is because with new content, there will ALWAYS be new bugs. If Jam stopped game development, many of these bugs could and would be resolved and we would play in a finite game play. Since there is constantly new content, there will constantly be new bugs.

Lastly, I personally, was really worried about the full Steam Release. Many have learned I spend a lot of time in game. The community is very important to me. We, as the community, were really stretched and stressed at the Early Release of the game almost a year ago. I feared that would be peanuts to what would happen at full Steam Release. Well, let me say right now that I was TOTALLY wrong. I am so impressed and excited about many of the new players. The troublemakers were with the Early Release group. Seems they like to pop into early release games and be as annoying as possible (not all, but a good number). Well, the opposite has happened with the Full Steam release. I am so loving the new players. Most are so much like we were that there really is no difference in the community. If anything, we are stronger and better!

I know I have a lot of ownership in the game. I have and am working at keeping that in check. The only ownership I have is just a long time player. I have no other connection or responsibility that is not self inflicted. You will find that I am very protective of Jam and George. I don't even know them personally, and we actually chat very infrequently. Many get info from them and pass it on to me since I have kind of become the repository of facts/lore and history. I don't mind it, but I am no authority, just a devoted player. Even Jam wonders about my obsession with the game. Why have I stuck around when most move on? For me it is just one word. FUN. I still have fun and really enjoy playing. I can create and shape so much to fit my crazy ideas. I am always scheming and planning, but mostly I just love sitting back and watching to see if some other crazy person could create and make a game all by themselves. Yes, Jam is insane, but it seems in a good way and a way that gives us all something to play with.

So the state of the game is solid, but in continual development. We will continue to be the beta testers. I think that is why Jam has not raised the price like we all demanded months ago. We want the premium to be $5 a month. He keeps it at $3. Maybe that is to remind us that part of our role is to help with the development. I hope he raises the premium to $5 a month and knows that we will still help with development. Look, the long term hopes are aliens and massive battles to get to Earth. Hidden relics and lost items. Massive gates to jump long distances. Lots of fun cool things. We can only get there one update at a time though. So when Jam is heavy into feature development, irritating, but non game breaking bugs wait. Once the new feature is in, bugs are quickly eliminated. Step at a time.

Please be patient because I am getting excited. We have had another 2-3 weeks with no Jam. This means he has locked himself into his little hole and is working on something really neat and new. I understand why he does it. The little coding I do, if I have to be distracted by some other script, I loose all the process and variables I was using and working with. I have to go back and refigure out everything. And Ascent is 100 times what little stuff I do.

Well, if you have hung around and read all this, sorry for wasting your time. I just wanted to share a little of how things work here and why some things are the way they are. Now quit reading and go play, This is boring. The game is fun!! See you in space!! Peace.
Ingame accounts: RAM, rmartz
Check out RAM Memories.
Visit AscentExtras.com for player built game tools, guilds, and links to game related data.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
User

SilkenVerse

Rank

Lieutenant

Lieutenant

Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:38 pm

Postby SilkenVerse » Tue May 17, 2016 2:52 am

Well I have done a lot of coding in my life, some that was not asked for but I did it anyway. I have said it before and as SILK I will say it again, " This game lacks things, This game has MORE than many games but IT IS what we make of it." I made JAM mad when I was only 2 months into the game BUT instead of just shutting me out he asked WHY and the HOW etc.

SO, my questions and .. no ACTUALLY STATEMENT to all of you out there," HOW many DEV, not the OWNER and PROGRAMMER of the game, just a great DEV or GM talked to you because they cared?" Really, what is my $10 US every 3 months mean to him, YET JAM talked to me. well Kinda scolded at first but talked to me.

Ok, I now yes have a brain trauma and cannot do what I did, but I use to program in 8 REAL languages and very well. I hate , .. YES HATE LAZY programmers. JAM is not one of them. JAM programs from the ground up and he cares about your gaming experience and mine. He does have a few things to worry about like eating and paying George and any other good help he can afford with all of our DLC buyouts and other SC we buy.

So SERIOUSLY, Yes Silk woke up again and is in chat... ( Drat can't he just sleep.. yup I know) anyhow... I need to say.. this game is NOT EVE, or any other game it is ASCENT. That means it is a planning and thinking game. It is NOT a credit race or challenge. I at the moment have about 176 Billion or so credits... That is nothing. I know a few that have Trillions at least. I opened up a Stock Market buy and tried to go broke to help newer players achieve more without an ultimate give away ship. You need to PLAN for your colony work FIRST and then get the dream for GATES to systems you find and want connected. They do not have to and in many ways I feel they should not be connected to the inner 9 but YOU .. yes YOU as a player can decide how YOU want to play.

HOW many games can you play that YOU and ONLY you can decide (safely) how you want to proceed? You can trade for credits your whole game and NEVER build an ISB or OSB, never build a colony or gate? YET you can amass trillions of credits. Also you do not have to ever SKIM 1 ton of gas ever or MINE 1 ton of ore EVER and succeed. I am rambling sorry.. almost done.. THIS game is Designed by 1 (ONE) ( UNO) Person and he is striving to give you and I the experience no other game could ever give us.

So in close (yes finally) If you want to chase Credits then this game is most likely NOT for you BUT if you are looking for a game that you can create a world or set of colonies and planets ALL for yourself (or share with others) gated to connect your empires, then THIS game is for you. Credits are NOT the end and be all. If you need credits I will give you all of mine ... when you get bored and quit.. send them back and I will give them to the next one that is EVE minded.

Silk..
SilkenVerse

Mayor of Aes Sedai Colony and Silken's OSB.
Grave robber and Cougar Bait :-)

May your words be Silken...
User

raw1990

Rank

Lieutenant

Lieutenant

Thu May 05, 2016 12:19 pm

Germany

Postby raw1990 » Tue May 17, 2016 2:57 pm

SilkenVerse wrote:Well I have done a lot of coding in my life, some that was not asked for but I did it anyway. I have said it before and as SILK I will say it again, " This game lacks things, This game has MORE than many games but IT IS what we make of it." I made JAM mad when I was only 2 months into the game BUT instead of just shutting me out he asked WHY and the HOW etc.

SO, my questions and .. no ACTUALLY STATEMENT to all of you out there," HOW many DEV, not the OWNER and PROGRAMMER of the game, just a great DEV or GM talked to you because they cared?" Really, what is my $10 US every 3 months mean to him, YET JAM talked to me. well Kinda scolded at first but talked to me.

Ok, I now yes have a brain trauma and cannot do what I did, but I use to program in 8 REAL languages and very well. I hate , .. YES HATE LAZY programmers. JAM is not one of them. JAM programs from the ground up and he cares about your gaming experience and mine. He does have a few things to worry about like eating and paying George and any other good help he can afford with all of our DLC buyouts and other SC we buy.

So SERIOUSLY, Yes Silk woke up again and is in chat... ( Drat can't he just sleep.. yup I know) anyhow... I need to say.. this game is NOT EVE, or any other game it is ASCENT. That means it is a planning and thinking game. It is NOT a credit race or challenge. I at the moment have about 176 Billion or so credits... That is nothing. I know a few that have Trillions at least. I opened up a Stock Market buy and tried to go broke to help newer players achieve more without an ultimate give away ship. You need to PLAN for your colony work FIRST and then get the dream for GATES to systems you find and want connected. They do not have to and in many ways I feel they should not be connected to the inner 9 but YOU .. yes YOU as a player can decide how YOU want to play.

HOW many games can you play that YOU and ONLY you can decide (safely) how you want to proceed? You can trade for credits your whole game and NEVER build an ISB or OSB, never build a colony or gate? YET you can amass trillions of credits. Also you do not have to ever SKIM 1 ton of gas ever or MINE 1 ton of ore EVER and succeed. I am rambling sorry.. almost done.. THIS game is Designed by 1 (ONE) ( UNO) Person and he is striving to give you and I the experience no other game could ever give us.

So in close (yes finally) If you want to chase Credits then this game is most likely NOT for you BUT if you are looking for a game that you can create a world or set of colonies and planets ALL for yourself (or share with others) gated to connect your empires, then THIS game is for you. Credits are NOT the end and be all. If you need credits I will give you all of mine ... when you get bored and quit.. send them back and I will give them to the next one that is EVE minded.

Silk..

Very well written my friend.
User

Agamemnon

Rank

Captain

Captain

Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:22 pm

Atlanta, Georgia

Postby Agamemnon » Tue May 24, 2016 8:27 pm

Yeah, wut he said! :)
User

Kambalo

Rank

Lt Commander

Lt Commander

Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:59 pm

Postby Kambalo » Thu May 26, 2016 6:57 pm

Indeed what the smart guy said, I agree 100%
Seek and ye shall find.
The Master
User

rmartz

Rank

Rear Admiral

Rear Admiral

Postby rmartz » Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:38 am

Through much harassing and pestering, we have convinced FKS to set up a GoFundMe page. This allows us to contribute directly to game development. This also allows us to contribute to keep Jam full time on game development.

I had set one up, but there was an issue with transferring money since they are in AUS and I am in the US. With working with FKS Accountant, we were able to set up a new account for them directly. There has been 2 contributions to the account I set up. I will transfer that money today. I will also post in the comments who donated and how much. Sorry guys. I feel I need to do that for transparency.

I will then make a contribution after that of my own. I will also be sending out some mass emails to spread the word.

Here is the starting link. We may get a simplier URL, but this will work either way.

https://www.gofundme.com/TheSpaceGame

This is now the OFFICIAL game crowdfunding site. Lets see what we can do and show the gaming world that Ascent has the best player base around.

Lastly, just remember that we are paying $3 a month for something that we should have been getting charged at least $5 or $10 a month. I will be doing some calculations using those numbers later today.

State of the game - good.

State of the future of the game - as with so much of Ascent, it depends on ... US!
Last edited by rmartz on Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Check out RAM Memories.
Visit AscentExtras.com for player built game tools, guilds, and links to game related data.
User

rmartz

Rank

Rear Admiral

Rear Admiral

Postby rmartz » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:19 pm

http://www.mmogames.com/gamearticles/ascent-the-space-game-developer-interview/

With 270 billion star systems, it seems that you’ve already set the bar for yourself pretty high, but how far do you plan to take the game? What kind of features are you planning for the future?
There’s three main areas of future expansion.

First is combat – the voiced quest line for the combat game still has several quests we can add, and the co-op combat game against pirate ambushes and later fleets is still really in its infancy. There is a lot we can do with this and that’s where I’ll be putting most of my “new feature” development time in the next few months.

Second, at present the “out of ship” game is only a fraction of where we plan to take it. You can do smuggling and hire pilots… but the assassination and bounty hunting games are not yet coded up. There’s also room for some serious espionage work. We’ve got an interesting framework there with so many unique, player-designed cities on unique worlds, and NPCs you can chat to in full text. I think the potential there goes on and on…

Lastly, the industrialist and space trading game is open ended. At present the largest ship you can construct carries 160,000 tonnes of cargo in its default outfit. The next class along will double that, and the one after double again, and so forth. The original game design’s spreadsheet outlines ships up to class 19 – with millions of tonnes of cargo space. At that sort of scale, changing the atmosphere (up to and including shipping in the entire atmosphere for a moon or even a planet) becomes viable as the next phase of co-op megaproject. The sky is not the limit.
Check out RAM Memories.
User

Kane Hart

Rank

Midshipman

Midshipman

Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:43 am

Quebec, Canada

Postby Kane Hart » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:31 am

Nice to see the gofund page.
PreviousNext