State of the Game and Company, April 2016

This is where you can suggest new features and discuss upcoming features.
no avatar
User

RAM

Rank

Captain

Captain

Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:36 am

Re: State of the Game and Company, April 2016

Postby RAM » Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:25 pm

Jam is planning two clients. He thinks he can manage it. The hopes are many will migrate to the new platform since it will have the access to the newer stuff. Once purchased, it can be used on the Steam Platform, it just can not be offered there. Not sure why one would go back to Steam once migrating to the newer platform. WIll still need Steam to help drive a new and returning playerbase.

Still working towards official release. Things are getting exciting.

New class 5 Eagle will be available. Big sister to the Hawk. Will clamp on class 12 or higher ships.

New hull shapes for several existing ships. Class 16 should be hitting, but have heard little about it. Rumors of a Dreadnaught up to class 20 may be available. So a jump to it not a progression.

Jam is being quite tight lipped about things, as usual. He does seem quite excited. I still think we are 1-2 months out of the release. This timeline will not shorten, but may lengthen as waiting for artwork and coding to bring it all together. Jam is working and having to squeeze all this in on the side.
"The UNCA is not your boss!" ~ Jessica Steele
Fan Fiction from an old timer - RAM Memories
User

Mooncrest

Rank

Commodore

Commodore

Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:19 pm

MITH Menzel 3

Postby Mooncrest » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:21 pm

RAM wrote:Jam is planning two clients. He thinks he can manage it. The hopes are many will migrate to the new platform since it will have the access to the newer stuff. Once purchased, it can be used on the Steam Platform, it just can not be offered there. Not sure why one would go back to Steam once migrating to the newer platform. WIll still need Steam to help drive a new and returning playerbase.

New class 5 Eagle will be available. Big sister to the Hawk. Will clamp on class 12 or higher ships.

New hull shapes for several existing ships. Class 16 should be hitting, but have heard little about it. Rumors of a Dreadnaught up to class 20 may be available. So a jump to it not a progression.

Jam is being quite tight lipped about things, as usual. He does seem quite excited. I still think we are 1-2 months out of the release. This timeline will not shorten, but may lengthen as waiting for artwork and coding to bring it all together. Jam is working and having to squeeze all this in on the side.

Good to hear that class 16 will still be released, I have quite a few sets of Class 16 modules ready for the release. I have researched up to Class 20 also, so I am ready for that too.

The Class 5 Eagle is an wonderful idea; The Hawk, being Class 1 is so limited in its jump capability. I'm gonna have to work out if a Class 5 can jump from Ceres or Apollo to Miners Paradise. If so, it will make my delivery of ships much easier. :D
User

Loke

Rank

Commander

Commander

Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:39 pm

Postby Loke » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:26 pm

??? ascent is turning into a play to earn?
Im not a big fan of steam (not saying its bad either), but at least they are banning nft games. Games is not the place for nft.

Im not gonna judge anything just from RAMs forum posts, as its not official and it might not be what it sounds like, but I do start to wonder what platform ascent is gonna be released on and what kind of business models there will be. Dont get me wrong, I really want Jam to earn money on ascent (luxury food for Louie!), but some things just dont belong in games.

My sceptism towards nft games is in general, not aimed at ascent (which I dont know anything about whats actually planned).
Callsign: Fraaggii or Loke
My AutohotKey tools: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4329
Mining yield calculator (google sheets): https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0
User

BoshingTong

Rank

Commander

Commander

Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:46 am

USA, Pa

Postby BoshingTong » Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:50 pm

So does this mean we will need to buy the game again to get the new stuff?

RAM wrote:Jam is planning two clients. He thinks he can manage it. The hopes are many will migrate to the new platform since it will have the access to the newer stuff. Once purchased, it can be used on the Steam Platform, it just can not be offered there. Not sure why one would go back to Steam once migrating to the newer platform. WIll still need Steam to help drive a new and returning playerbase.

Owner of BSFA (Bosh Survey & Freightage Authority)
Senator of Logopolis, New Dawn, Babylon
Governor of Poosh, Tigland, Prime Sun, Babel

Mayor of all BSFA Colonies & OSBs
no avatar
User

RAM

Rank

Captain

Captain

Postby RAM » Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:35 pm

BoshingTong wrote:So does this mean we will need to buy the game again to get the new stuff?

I doubt Jam would do that. I am not sure how the transition will all work. Much up in the air and he is sorting through how to make the transition. When we switched from Desura to Steam, we all got tokens for a free game on Steam. I suspect the same will happen here.

The NFTs will let us buy more stuff in game. It will give an additional revenue stream to Jam to allow him to push development. They are just another way to have the purchases we already have through Steam. We will buy tokens as we buy SC. We will use them to purchase things like terraforming devices, long jump gates, ships, modules, like the Silicon Filter, and later in game perks that do little to affect the game play, but are just candy. Later SS will be sold too, like one a year.

In Ascent there is no play to win. You can not buy your way to the end since the end is just when you decide you are done. It is and will be just a place to play to be creative without having a lot of grief from others as you do it. If one does not want NFTs, they can stay with Steam. It will give choices. It is the only way Jam can see to move forward with positive revenue to continue development.

Those of us who have played for a long time know the path the game has been on will not bring a good revenue stream. This gives an option to turn it to positive. If it doesn't work, we have lost little. If it does, it will allow Ascent to develop forward as it has the potential to do. Jam is even hoping that if this does really help, he can bring on an intern that can work on all the little annoying stuff we fight with while he stays on new features. Now THAT will make a big impact.
User

Loke

Rank

Commander

Commander

Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:39 pm

Postby Loke » Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:10 pm

RAM wrote:The NFTs will let us buy more stuff in game.

Why would you add NFT just to be able to sell us stuff? Do you know what NFTs are RAM? And why they add them to games?
The games become secondary at that point, its more a platform for those who are bored of bitcoin (or more likely less known shitcoins/scamcoins sadly) and are looking for the next thing of quick money, hoping to be a early adopter.
Maybe Im wrong and there are ok ways to implement NFT to games, its still a new thing that isnt explored that much and Im more trying to stay far away from it than learning about its possiblities. Too many similarities to a pyramid scheme for me (like how else is the value of NFTs supposed to increase?). If steam and other "normal games" platforms bans them, they only stay on platforms for games with NFT and at least people getting into to it knows what it is.

Again, Im talking about NFT games in general, if ascent is actually planning to go down that same path is yet to be seen. But why else bother with NFT for a game?

RAM wrote:In Ascent there is no play to win.
"Play to earn" is the concern, not "pay to win". 2 very different things.
Callsign: Fraaggii or Loke
My AutohotKey tools: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4329
Mining yield calculator (google sheets): https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0
no avatar
User

RAM

Rank

Captain

Captain

Postby RAM » Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:37 pm

Loke wrote:Maybe Im wrong and there are ok ways to implement NFT to games, its still a new thing that isnt explored that much and Im more trying to stay far away from it than learning about its possiblities. Too many similarities to a pyramid scheme for me (like how else is the value of NFTs supposed to increase?). If steam and other "normal games" platforms bans them, they only stay on platforms for games with NFT and at least people getting into to it knows what it is.

I have a lot of trust in Jam and what he does. I can not see him adding something just to make the game a format to trade outside the game. I am sure some of that will happen, but I only see mostly players wanting to buy a ship for the game. What benefit to anyone outside the game for an Eagle?
User

Mooncrest

Rank

Commodore

Commodore

MITH Menzel 3

Postby Mooncrest » Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:25 am

This is an interesting discussion. As someone who had never heard of NFT until they were mentioned by RAM in this thread, I curious as to why the platform Jam is considering a move to does not support a simple DLC protocol like Steam. If my understanding is correct and we need to buy NFT to purchase in-game items and NFT have a value external to the game, then I can see problems occurring. Simply paying dollars for the items is surely a safer way to purchase n-game items; or have I got this completely wrong?
no avatar
User

RAM

Rank

Captain

Captain

Postby RAM » Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:27 pm

We currently buy SC to buy in game items. It is a game currency that works no where else. We can buy with NFT and trade in and out of the game. This is about the only difference I can see. Like why would someone who doesn't play the game come in and buy up a bunch of stuff? The only reason is to hold it for a while to see if inflation in the real world makes the purchase more valuable. It would still take someone in game to actually want to buy it from them. I see little of that happening.

NFT becomes a common item like SC across multiple game platforms so if you buy a large amount, you can use them across multiple games. It just becomes a common currency in game that can be used elsewhere too.

If a few people want to purchase some in game tools and gives more capital to Jam for development, I see little issue. Nothing they buy will be real rare.

There may be a few things like selling star systems. We already did that at the Kickstarter. Few know it was already implemented. The only difference is maybe they will be allowed to be independent of the UNCA. How cool is that? I can't wait. What if they get their own gate color on the map? Yes, some of this is my dreaming. But it could happen!!

Again, Jam is being tight lipped. He has just shared a little and I am trying to pass on what I can. Some of this I don't fully understand also. So I may be doing a poor job of explaining it. Ascent needs cash to allow further development. This is the only revenue stream Jam can see that may give him the opportunity to continue strong development. He is, once again, putting his cash into the new artwork and models for development. We are still playing on his dime. For those who do not know American lingo, this means we are playing and he is paying. He no longer has deep pockets. More lingo meaning he does not have the finances to do this anymore. If this does not work, then Ascent will be as is with very little development moving forward.
User

Mooncrest

Rank

Commodore

Commodore

MITH Menzel 3

Postby Mooncrest » Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:52 pm

RAM wrote:We currently buy SC to buy in game items. It is a game currency that works no where else. We can buy with NFT and trade in and out of the game. This is about the only difference I can see

And this is a huge difference. If NFT can be traded out of game and other games sell NFT then Jam does not have control over the dollar value of them like he does with SC. If NFT are a "currency" that can be traded out of game then they will be and there will be people who will try and make a living trading in this "currency". There, possibly, already are, as NFT already seems an established thing. Therefore, Jam may not get the income stream he is looking for, as NFT bought outside the game can be used in-game.

Just my naïve observations.

RAM wrote:Like why would someone who doesn't play the game come in and buy up a bunch of stuff?

NFT has an intrinsic value not controlled by Jam. Therefore, we may get people buying the game just to buy NFT for trading purposes. If Jam's price becomes low enough versus the current intrinsic value for NFT, then this will happen.

I'm not a great fan of Steam as you know, but if Steam has banned NFT they must have a good reason to do so. After all, they are in the business of making money, so they must see something in NFT that they do not like.
PreviousNext