State of the Game and Company, April 2016

This is where you can suggest new features and discuss upcoming features.
User

Moneyman

Rank

Captain

Captain

Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:53 pm

Massachusetts

Re: State of the Game and Company, April 2016

Postby Moneyman » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:06 pm

TEKnome wrote:
Loke wrote:Are those "rules" still needed?
/Loke

myself, "Rules" or at least 'Guidelines' are useful, especially for new Pilot Captains still finding their way around.

Having said that, if it is a 'TEKnome' System , wherever it is, feel free to ' have at it ! '
I find 'em, I don't always mine 'em, but no point letting them go untapped ;)
Happy Hunting !

Cheers :D

:mrgreen: Thats a good little gnome.
User

davh62

Rank

Commodore

Commodore

Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:40 pm

UK

Postby davh62 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:36 pm

Well I used to get mad at the roid raiders but now....

It's easier just to join in their antics. I think "Rules" smacks of elitism from us ermmm elite players. It may put off new recruits?

Also it would be almost dictating game style in certain ways. We want new players to have freedom to play as they will.
FG Fighters Guild Founder
Senator of Ferrite-Senator of Prime-Senator of Barons Rest- Hater of rams speaking date stamp
User

LadyHawk

Rank

Lt Commander

Lt Commander

Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:25 pm

Postby LadyHawk » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:26 pm

I agree we don't need 'rules' or even 'suggested etiquette' the way things are NOW.

But if the Black Sky relaunch brings in hundred of new players (as I believe a game of this quality ought to)
things are going to change pretty quickly. The need for tin and nio will further sky rocket if/when class 16 ships are introduced and take enormous amounts of exotic metals to build.

I appreciate the generosity of Tek and Davh and others who have stated they don't mind if someone else harvests their roid fields....but speaking as one who spent the better part of my first entire year in this game, discovering, grooming and waiting to harvest my own fields, I would have a problem with all of them being entirely looted before I could even harvest them myself once LOL

I don't mind the occasional new player who wanders in and takes a few fields, or someone who just occasionally takes a few roids from whatever fields they find to fill a small need, but I do NOT want to systematically relieved of all I worked for that first year.

In my experience, its only the very rare new player who has any interest in upsetting the apple cart, and most of them expect and want to know the rules, whether they're formal or implied. I still think it would be a good idea to attach the page Moon drafted to the Wiki...and you did a great job on it, Thanks Moon :-)
User

Mooncrest

Rank

Commodore

Commodore

Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:19 pm

MIB Tyngbraneth, Miner's Paradise

Postby Mooncrest » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:18 pm

I agree with what LadyHawk said above.

At this time the influx of new players is small; we can practically give new players one-to-one mentoring. We will not have this luxury in the future, hopefully. :)

I think these Guidelines will serve two puroses:
  1. They set Guidelines for the use of Asteroid Fields and encourage new Players to explore system to discover their own
  2. They convey to the new Player the nature of game etiquette

Before the Wiki is updated though, I think the community should vote on this issue. So, I would like to propose that The President set up a poll to gauge the community's
no avatar
User

RAM

Rank

Captain

Captain

Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:36 am

Postby RAM » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:19 am

Mooncrest wrote:Before the Wiki is updated though, I think the community should vote on this issue. So, I would like to propose that The President set up a poll to gauge the community's

I think a good ASC discussion would work well. I will work on setting something up tomorrow or the next day.
"The UNCA is not your boss!" ~ Jessica Steele
Fan Fiction from an old timer - RAM Memories
User

LadyHawk

Rank

Lt Commander

Lt Commander

Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:25 pm

Postby LadyHawk » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:16 pm

I think a poll is a great step....and, we have plenty of time to discuss this and other matters that might help smooth the entry of lots & lots of new players :-)

I'd really like to see some input from others...if not on the subject of roid fields, then advice for Moon on his pricing to encourage new ship builders, or other areas we might address to prevent recurring dramas that have caused groups of players to leave before.
User

davh62

Rank

Commodore

Commodore

Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:40 pm

UK

Postby davh62 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:25 pm

Ok sorry I have moved the thread in a direction that it wasn't originally intended for.

I really don't see T/N prices being an issue now that T2 mats are in. A new player will very fast earn creds for the biggest ships.

Again apologies for pushing the discussion in the wrong forum. Mr. President please remove or re-start as you see fit. Clearly there is a lot more that needs to be said from all of us on the subject.
FG Fighters Guild Founder
Senator of Ferrite-Senator of Prime-Senator of Barons Rest- Hater of rams speaking date stamp
User

Loke

Rank

Lt Commander

Lt Commander

Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:39 pm

Postby Loke » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:52 pm

Sorry for asking off topic, I should know better than starting another nio/tin discussion where it does not belong. Ill explain my question and intension better in a approriate thread later. I didnt really mean raiding.

Quoting RAMs update so its not lost in the discussions:

RAM wrote:In relaxed conversation with Jam this weekend, here is what I have gathered.

He wants to release Black Sky before he gets into TMG. The challenge is to do a new client he HAS to upgrade the client to run on the new unity engine. If we all remember when he had to do this last time and it took a month of coding and a month of debugging after that, this could be a major task.

There are a lot of good things in the new engine, but until he starts on it, he will not really know how much he has to change. He will have a firm 6 month window to get TMG released. If he has to devote 2 months for the launch of Black Sky, it may not be doable. If it can be done faster, he can, and will.

He is diligently working on things, but has not and can not make any firm decisions.

I really think Black Sky will turn the corner for Ascent as far as play-ability and profitability. Getting there is the challenge. I also think the new engine will be important.

He is also looking at the Autopilot lag in large systems and things like that. Lots to work out and no firm decisions possible at this time. He is dedicated and values the commitment many have to Ascent. He is not one to walk away from that, but he may be forced to delay. Not his choice, but it may be the reality if he has to get TMG going in 6 months. There is a LOT of work to be done. He told me before he plans to release a PC and console version of it. Big boots to full.

So hang in there and lets keep enjoying the game. More IS to come, just not sure when.
Callsign: Fraaggii or Loke
Senator Loke of Primo Spe, 8086, New Horizon, Skadi, Darkfield and Niu Heimar

Statistics for Nio and Tin prices: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3427
no avatar
User

RAM

Rank

Captain

Captain

Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:36 am

Postby RAM » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:23 pm

Game will have a sale on Steam shortly. Hopefully will bring in a few more new players.
"The UNCA is not your boss!" ~ Jessica Steele
Fan Fiction from an old timer - RAM Memories
User

Moneyman

Rank

Captain

Captain

Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:53 pm

Massachusetts

Postby Moneyman » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:28 pm

:mrgreen: I missed, previously, the above post on the current Ascent Black Sky strategy.

Despite occasional update tibits, it seemed the Ascent Black Sky update was in the dim future.

Altho it seems unlikely to happen given JAM's personality, I wish he'd delegate.

Give us a way to generate $$$ or permit open source changes. Hands off chest.

Its well known in the Steam player community what the last 2 years in Ascent have been like.
PreviousNext