Map updates

This is where you can suggest new features and discuss upcoming features.
no avatar
User

max4260

Rank

Space Cadet

Space Cadet

Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:11 am

Map updates

Postby max4260 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:41 am

So the map and navigation system are great - for the inner 9.

My issue is that it doesn't take into account player created jumps and keeps the game feeling small. So i'm going to split this up into two parts - the map and then the navigation:

1- Map:
The map is great, but here are some things i would love to see to make it even better:

-The map takes forever to scroll in/out. With things being so large make this much faster.
-Jumps don't always show on the map i guess? like the inner 9, make player made jumps ALWAYS show on the map.

2-Navigation:
Navigation stinks for anything other than the inner 9. There should be higher level nav computers or some such that allow you to plot courses. lvl 1 is just one jump, lvl 2 is 10 jumps, lvl 3 is 10 jumps + a hyper drive jump (or just make everything work without any restrictions). something along these lines will help with navigating to your target system. The goal shouldn't be to make it hard to get to your destination, but instead should be about coordinating with other players to make that destination important.

I think making both of these types of changes would help with economy and improve the UI for new players and not require you to memorize the map. and of course make the map easy to use to get to where you're going.
User

rmartz

Rank

Rear Admiral

Rear Admiral

Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:37 pm

Re: Map updates

Postby rmartz » Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:22 am

You will find that as soon as you get to cl 10 ships and above, you get a HD and jump in one jump to where ever you want to go, so nav points are not a big issue after the early game.
Ingame accounts: RAM, rmartz
Check out RAM Memories.
Visit AscentExtras.com for player built game tools, guilds, and links to game related data.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
User

Kambalo

Rank

Lt Commander

Lt Commander

Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:59 pm

Postby Kambalo » Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:29 pm

I am jumping all over and I dont think that stinks, I am not playing this game to finish all in one day because it will make me frustrated, so I am making for myself goals to enjoy the game and not to get burned.
Seek and ye shall find.
The Master
User

rmartz

Rank

Rear Admiral

Rear Admiral

Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:37 pm

Postby rmartz » Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:38 pm

Kambalo wrote:I am jumping all over and I dont think that stinks, I am not playing this game to finish all in one day because it will make me frustrated, so I am making for myself goals to enjoy the game and not to get burned.

Very wise. I have seen many come in and decide to grind to make credits really fast. It became their goal and only lasted days. I think your approach is one that will give you lots more play time and enjoyment. It is a game and we should HAVE FUN!

See you in the stars my friend.
Ingame accounts: RAM, rmartz
Check out RAM Memories.
Visit AscentExtras.com for player built game tools, guilds, and links to game related data.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
no avatar
User

Ghostwish

Rank

Ensign

Ensign

Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:31 am

Postby Ghostwish » Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:09 pm

Honestly I never use the map unless it involves a hyperdrive, and even then it's bookmarks. I agree that it's quite cumbersome and difficult to read as is. I tend to use the map on the wiki more than anything. How about throwing in a way to 'flatten' the map to an 2D model?
User

Mizuk

Rank

Lt Commander

Lt Commander

Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:14 pm

Somewhere out There

Postby Mizuk » Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:01 pm

max4260 wrote:1- Map:
The map is great, but here are some things i would love to see to make it even better:

-Jumps don't always show on the map i guess? like the inner 9, make player made jumps ALWAYS show on the map.

I have to be honest, I am not sure what you mean with "jumps don´t always show"

The blue lines you see on the starmap in inner 9 are gates made by the developer and if you don´t have a hyperdrive installed you can use these gates, the other lines are playermade gates that enable you to to "get out there" with no hyperdrive.

max4260 wrote:2-Navigation:
Navigation stinks for anything other than the inner 9. There should be higher level nav computers or some such that allow you to plot courses. lvl 1 is just one jump, lvl 2 is 10 jumps, lvl 3 is 10 jumps + a hyper drive jump (or just make everything work without any restrictions). something along these lines will help with navigating to your target system. The goal shouldn't be to make it hard to get to your destination, but instead should be about coordinating with other players to make that destination important.

I think making both of these types of changes would help with economy and improve the UI for new players and not require you to memorize the map. and of course make the map easy to use to get to where you're going.

The Map is extremely easy too use, and after a while, you will remember which inner systems are where and howto get there as well as where your favorite player systems are.
There is a small workaround to enable you to have the information at hand ingame without memorizing where you were last and you didnt write it down.
Simply take a soilsample from any moon/planet in that system.
Ex.
You log in and want to continue your search out there but cannot remember where and you also forgot to add a bookmark, but you did do a soilsample.
Call up the ships computer "CTRL+C" and type in show mb.sample and it will list your soilsamples with info on which system all your soilsamples are in, now take the data and punch in the starmap, and hit JUMP if you have a hyperdrive and enough hydrogen to get there..

Hope this helps ..

M
Any support to my just cause! :)
Can be given in form of Iron and Carbon at Route 6 planned gateway to Route 666