Some collective new player feedback so far

This is where you can suggest new features and discuss upcoming features.
no avatar
User

shathiell

Rank

Lt Commander

Lt Commander

Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:03 am

Some collective new player feedback so far

Postby shathiell » Sun May 01, 2016 2:40 am

Hi Guys,

I have been reading a lot of feedback from all of the new players over the past few weeks and have been collecting it all in my head. It is all valid and all of this should be considered and addressed in some form or another.

Given this feedback is essential to the success of this game (And it is quite often stuff us older players don't consider or experience) I thought I would put together some general points around this feedback and some of the questions/experiences which are quite often asked about:

• Interface for Outer Colony Builds: This appears to be something that is rather confusing and can cause some angst. It is a rather cumbersome experience for both colony and OSB builds. The general feedback around this is it would benefit from its own interface similar to the inner 9 colony builds.
  • Combat: I haven't done combat in this game for a long time, however there is enough feedback around this from the new player base to suggest that getting this fleshed out is important to keep them interested. I don't know anything specific besides it "doesn't feel finished and needs work", however collecting feedback specifically on this would help a lot.
  • Loss: Something I read but didn't agree with initially was there was no feeling of loss in this game. While it isn't something I want in a game (I play E:D and avoid combat as much as possible for example), it appears to be something which goes towards peoples excitement for continuing to play this game. Maybe something like "Red-zone will have player ship loss" might be a good measure for this?
  • Game Quirks: We have gotten used to these for a long time, however now the game is fully released we need to recognise these quirks as things which shouldn't happen in a fully released/stable game. Things off the top of my head include "Buy/Sell order name details", "Shipyard module building details", "restart client will fix xyz", "I can't sell to colony XYZ because its warehouses are full", etc..
  • UI Improvements: We have a new UI, however there are still some legacy clunkiness with it around how we do certain things. Things that come to mind include not having all of the details of a colony/SB in one spot (warehouse levels, morale, HoN details etc..), Market buy/sell order existing in multiple locations (GM, Map interface to find stuff to buy/sell doesn't make much sense to a new player) which should be consolidated into one interface (Like on the ship computer)
  • Better/More enhanced tutorial: The tutorial doesn't appear to be effective enough to train new players how they need to do most of the game mechanics such as colony building, manufacturing, trading, etc... We field a lot of questions on a lot of these topics daily which could be fixed with more enhanced tutorials (The colony build stuff especially)
  • Better Beta testing: A lot of issues in the game right now appear to be centered around broken and/or incomplete quest lines (Combat/Jessica Steele), which are resulting in newer players missing out on things such as combat blueprints. It is not possible for us elder beta tester to test such things given we have already completed them, however may I suggest a handful of players are provided with new accounts for the purposes of beta testing a new questline/feature (Such as what happened to salvaging) to ensure it isn't broken for new players?
  • Exploration: some of us a happy with what is there today, however some feedback arose that it isn't enough to keep people interested. The introduction of gems and rare asteroids has helped this, however maybe we introduce other rare things which motivate us to go further exploring? We can also look at our current UNCA payouts and see if they can be adjusted according to planetary value (IE what it has) to help further encourage exploring (Kinda like how E:D do it)
  • HoN: I don't know if anyone has complained about this yet, however its always been a bug-bear of mine that it isn't really working that well and needs to be fixed. If newer players get to this and can't get it to work they will also just ignore it and do what most of us do today to improve production which is build more mines/farms
  • End-Game: We have gate-building now and possibly terraforming around the corner, however something I remember reading from Waveyn and Sind a while ago is the lack of these activities (And I believe this is why Pro left too). We need to think what to do here and what could make it interesting. E:D Do weekly/fortnightly Community Goals which could be beneficial here, with rewards depending on how much of the goal is completed.

I am sure there is more. If anyone else wants to add anything please feel free.

Jam, I know you are busy with other external commitments right now, however we are at a crucial time at this games lifecycle and if we don't address some of this feedback we risk losing the newer players and not gaining many more.
User

Worm

Rank

Lieutenant

Lieutenant

Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:45 pm

Atlanta, Georgia

Re: Some collective new player feedback so far

Postby Worm » Sun May 01, 2016 5:24 am

shathiell wrote:Hi Guys,
however may I suggest a handful of players are provided with new accounts for the purposes of beta testing

Multiple accounts are already allowed and can even be made with the same email address as your main and at no additional cost. Feel free to make another account if you want to test game start conditions.
no avatar
User

shathiell

Rank

Lt Commander

Lt Commander

Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:03 am

Postby shathiell » Sun May 01, 2016 6:18 am

Worm wrote:
however may I suggest a handful of players are provided with new accounts for the purposes of beta testing

Multiple accounts are already allowed and can even be made with the same email address as your main and at no additional cost. Feel free to make another account if you want to test game start conditions.

True, however it isn't reflective of true test conditions (IE needs to be wiped prior to testing, needs to test specific things, etc..). The issue here is often these things change and we aren't aware of them unless a new player stumbles across it. We should have some sort of structured test program in place to avoid issues and ragequits due to buggy implementations.
User

Mooncrest

Rank

Commodore

Commodore

Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:19 pm

MITH Menzel 3

Postby Mooncrest » Sun May 01, 2016 10:53 am

I think you are correct that it would be useful for a few players to be able to have an account for beta testing. I think that if these accounts could, also, be reset to begin again that would be useful too. I know that when I have been trying to experience what new players are experiencing I cannot as my account is too far advanced. If I could have an account that I could use and then reset to new it would be very helpful with this.
User

Worm

Rank

Lieutenant

Lieutenant

Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:45 pm

Atlanta, Georgia

Postby Worm » Sun May 01, 2016 1:14 pm

shathiell wrote:
Worm wrote:
shathiell wrote:

True, however it isn't reflective of true test conditions

Sure it is, when you start a new account that character starts from the very beginning just like all new players do.

But like moon said you can only experience the game once per account so yes, being able to reset it to zero to test and retest without having to make a dozen accounts would be useful.
no avatar
User

Ghostwish

Rank

Ensign

Ensign

Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:31 am

Postby Ghostwish » Mon May 02, 2016 2:57 pm

I agree with 90% of this, so long as all PVP aspects are completely separate from the main game.