Improvement to Building and Module Placement

This is where you can suggest new features and discuss upcoming features.
User

Mooncrest

Rank

Commodore

Commodore

Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:19 pm

MITH Menzel 3

Improvement to Building and Module Placement

Postby Mooncrest » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:40 am

I am currently involved in a project to terraform Eldorado. This is going to require several hundred thousand modules to be placed at OSBs around the planet. Unfortunately, I do not have RAM's god-like powers, so, being a mere mortal I make mistakes. This, coupled with the problem I am having deleting modules (see Bug Reports) has made me think that the method we now use could be improved by reverting to the method from the old UI.

The present method requires a click on the Module name of the Module to be placed. While concentrating on the top of the screen to track co-ordinates of the ship to make sure that it is lined up correctly and the module is going to be planned in the right place, it is easy for the mouse to slip to another module. Because modules are planned while moving it is very easy to plan a few of the wrong module before you notice it.

The previous method was that we selected the Module to be placed then clicked a 'Plan' button. This ensured that the correct Module was planned. This would also mean that the choice window could be minimised thus giving a better view if where modles are placed.
User

Xanuri

Rank

Lt Commander

Lt Commander

Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:34 pm

Re: Improvement to Building and Module Placement

Postby Xanuri » Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:11 pm

Mooncrest wrote:I am currently involved in a project to terraform Eldorado. This is going to require several hundred thousand modules to be placed at OSBs around the planet. Unfortunately, I do not have RAM's god-like powers, so, being a mere mortal I make mistakes. This, coupled with the problem I am having deleting modules (see Bug Reports) has made me think that the method we now use could be improved by reverting to the method from the old UI.

The present method requires a click on the Module name of the Module to be placed. While concentrating on the top of the screen to track co-ordinates of the ship to make sure that it is lined up correctly and the module is going to be planned in the right place, it is easy for the mouse to slip to another module. Because modules are planned while moving it is very easy to plan a few of the wrong module before you notice it.

The previous method was that we selected the Module to be placed then clicked a 'Plan' button. This ensured that the correct Module was planned. This would also mean that the choice window could be minimised thus giving a better view if where modles are placed.

To be honest I have thought about this process myself but have yet to voice any opinion or solution. personally I would like to see a much simpler way to configure/reconfigure an OSB using the OSB's coordinate system. Something like the following.

Plan starbase_warehouse <starting coordinates> <ending coordinates> this would allow you to place modules very quickly.
Example: plan starbase_warehouse 0,0,1 99,0,1 would plan a single row of 100 warehouses
Example: plan starbase_warehouse 0,0,1 99,5,5 would plan 2500 warehouses in a block that is 100 long, 5 high, 5 deep.
Example: plan starbase_warehouse 0,0,1 0,0,1 would plan 1 warehouse

Same thing can be done for removing them.
remove starbase_warehouse <starting coordinates> <ending coordinates> this would allow you to remove specific module types and act as a filter, so if within the range of coordinates you have say an electronics_factory it would not get removed.
remove all <starting coordinates> <ending coordinates> would allow you to remove any and all modules within the range
The Dark Calling - High Councilor

If you have a Dark Calling, we are here in the Red Zone awaiting your arrival.
User

rmartz

Rank

Rear Admiral

Rear Admiral

Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:37 pm

Postby rmartz » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:30 pm

Xanuri wrote:To be honest I have thought about this process myself but have yet to voice any opinion or solution. personally I would like to see a much simpler way to configure/reconfigure an OSB using the OSB's coordinate system. Something like the following.

Plan starbase_warehouse <starting coordinates> <ending coordinates> this would allow you to place modules very quickly.
Example: plan starbase_warehouse 0,0,1 99,0,1 would plan a single row of 100 warehouses
Example: plan starbase_warehouse 0,0,1 99,5,5 would plan 2500 warehouses in a block that is 100 long, 5 high, 5 deep.

remove starbase_warehouse <starting coordinates> <ending coordinates> this would allow you to remove specific module types and act as a filter, so if within the range of coordinates you have say an electronics_factory it would not get removed.
remove all <starting coordinates> <ending coordinates> would allow you to remove any and all modules within the range

Something along these lines would be a dream!

Even if we could get a command to plan one building at a time, I could build a program to do a series easily similar to the Dome Control Program. I would much rather see something like you are recommending, but would be happy with any command feature like this. I could do some automating if needed until Jam had time to build a better mouse trap.
Ingame accounts: RAM, rmartz
Check out RAM Memories.
Visit AscentExtras.com for player built game tools, guilds, and links to game related data.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
User

Mooncrest

Rank

Commodore

Commodore

Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:19 pm

MITH Menzel 3

Postby Mooncrest » Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:39 am

Xanuri wrote:To be honest I have thought about this process myself but have yet to voice any opinion or solution. personally I would like to see a much simpler way to configure/reconfigure an OSB using the OSB's coordinate system. Something like the following.

Something like this would be ideal. My suggestion was put forward as a quick fix, but something like this is the real goal.