Mining is so bright I gota wear shades

This is where you can suggest new features and discuss upcoming features.
User

Duke

Rank

Lieutenant

Lieutenant

Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:03 pm

Mining is so bright I gota wear shades

Postby Duke » Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:06 pm

I have no idea if this has ever been suggested so I felt obligated to throw it out.

In some systems, while mining, I have found that the luminosity from the local star, and dust refracting the luminosity from the star, sometimes makes it really difficult to read the instruments while mining. What I wouldn't give for a good pair of shades or an anti-glare screen with auto gain controls. That way when I couldn't see how close my mining beam was to over heating an asteroid, I could at least read my instrument panel to get that information. No complaints, just a stray thought.

And my other thoughts on mining

ninety nine bottles of beer on the bulkhead
ninety nine bottles of beer
pull one down
mine a roid down
ninety eight bottles of beer on the bulkhead
Drunk Jedi Mining - Small Moons, Asteroids, and stationary Starships - we mine it all
1/5 th at a time
PROUD TO SUPPORT ASCENT
Senator: Ultima, Heavy Iron
User

Mooncrest

Rank

Commodore

Commodore

Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:19 pm

MIB Tyngbraneth, Miner's Paradise

Re: Mining is so bright I gota wear shades

Postby Mooncrest » Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:09 am

It has been this way since sun flare was introduced many moons ago. Adolphus is a system where this phenomena makes asteroid mining almost impossible. It would be very nice is Nightvision worked as it used to as well. when using it now with the 1.4xxx releases the planets stand out but most of the asteroids do not get highlighted. If Nightvision could be made to reduce flare and ambient light and properly highlight the minable asteroids, I think that this would go a long way to helping the overall situation. It would also be nice is the tonnage of the asteroid were in a bigger font so that us blind old fogies could read it. I do tend to look at the tonnage to guage the potential yield of an asteroid, though sometimes this is not very accurate.

On the plus side, it seems to me, at least, that the radar is now working as intended and mineable asteroids are still showing up all the time and not just for the first few minutes of a mining expedition.
User

Moneyman

Rank

Captain

Captain

Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:53 pm

Massachusetts

Postby Moneyman » Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:55 pm

:mrgreen: There is another side of the game called Trading which is more challenging in the current environment.

:arrow: You may wish to consider what MP Dubuque has to say about Mining & Trading.

--- Link: http://forum.thespacegame.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3221
User

Mooncrest

Rank

Commodore

Commodore

Postby Mooncrest » Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:07 pm

Moneyman wrote::mrgreen: There is another side of the game called Trading which is more challenging in the current environment.
:arrow: You may wish to consider what MP Dubuque has to say about Mining & Trading.
--- Link: http://forum.thespacegame.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3221

I do a lot of this as well. However, I have to do a lot of asteroid mining to keep myself in stock of Niobium and Tin because there do not seem to be any players selling their Niobium and Tin, well not to me anyway, even though I have specifically set up five asteroid fields with OSBs to buy the Mined Materials.
User

Duke

Rank

Lieutenant

Lieutenant

Postby Duke » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:23 am

Mooncrest

Thanks for the post. I have the same problem seeing the text when glare strikes. I had a thought about a mining window, like the cargo window, but you turn it on in the main menu and it would have the mining info inside it. If it had a permanent black background with white text and big font, then even when you run into glare you would always be able to see about where you are with warming the asteroid up while mining.

Anyways, I have a bottle of Ceres Black Label Whiskey which means it's time for me to go find a asteroid belt and get friendly with some asteroids. See you all out in the belts!
Drunk Jedi Mining - Small Moons, Asteroids, and stationary Starships - we mine it all
1/5 th at a time
PROUD TO SUPPORT ASCENT
User

Moneyman

Rank

Captain

Captain

Massachusetts

Postby Moneyman » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:51 am

:mrgreen: Some of us can't mine father than we can spit so 15 tonnes here and 25 tonnes there is not a lot to ask other new players to pass some exotics our way.

:?: Duke, what do you think of the offer I'm making?
User

Duke

Rank

Lieutenant

Lieutenant

Postby Duke » Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:23 pm

Moneyman

The thread is about glare from stars and the impact that has on mining mechanics. The purpose for starting the thread is to see what other players thoughts are about a solution to the problem. All of this is based on the premise that we are smarter as a group, other people have great ideas (that I have not thought of yet (if ever)), and I don't know everything (yet).

Your post is concerning trading, and has a linked ADVERTISEMENT to trade with your OSB. If you are trying to contribute to the solution for star glare while mining - I'm not seeing it.

As I have previously mentioned, I don't know everything (yet) - so if I have made a mistake about your posts, please explain where they have made a suggestion for a solution to resolve star glare while mining.

If you are trying to start a discussion about trade, the price of ores, and/or doing business with your OSB - that would belong in a different thread. Trying to inject those topics into this thread would be unwelcome as they would be an effort to hijack this thread and its purpose.

If you want to start a discussion about trade, ore prices, and your OSB business - lets find the correct forum directory and get started.

Thank you for posting. I value your thoughts, I just may not understand them.
1/5 th at a time
PROUD TO SUPPORT ASCENT
User

Moneyman

Rank

Captain

Captain

Massachusetts

Postby Moneyman » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:31 pm

:mrgreen: OK. I respect your wish to stay on topic - nothing else from me on trade.

:idea: JAM rarely responds to one player EVEN to a group of established players like RAM & Fleas.

--- I know because I tried and was ignored AND have been reminded a number times that others have tried and were ignored before I was.

:arrow: I haven't created an OSB yet - too much to do on my 4 colonies - creating 100 colony warehouses is easier to do than OSB warehouses.

:!: Players in this game get off topic REAL EASY - I enjoy following the twists and turns in this game's forum BUT its ok if you don't see it that way.
User

Spectre

Rank

Lieutenant

Lieutenant

Sun May 17, 2015 5:22 am

Postby Spectre » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:30 am

Piloting your ship to face away from the glare of the star seems the logical response. That is what I do in these cases. Not every system has a harsh glare. It seems a more realistic setting than a magic button or setting to resolve it.

Gl w your mining.

BTW bashing JAM does not help the issue. I have spoken to him many times and he replies to major issues and payment problems. All others must go thru elected channels. IRC chat may speed this up, but is not definite by any means.
Senator of
Spire Redguard
Fireside Alexandria
Provenance Ebon
Omega Prime

Member of TG, MG, and the Dark Calling
User

Mooncrest

Rank

Commodore

Commodore

Postby Mooncrest » Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:29 am

The problem is not only the star flare, but also the brightness of the various nebulae, or whatever they are, in the systems. Oddly, there are some systems where it is too dark to see the asteroids. So, we are suffering at both ends of the brightness scale.

This i why I think that the "nightvision" should work as it once did and really highlight the mineable asteroids so that they can be seen against whatever background the system has. Although after two years at it I do not find mining too difficult any more, I know that some players do and simply being able to identify which piece of rock is mineable would be a great help.
Next