Mining is so bright I gota wear shades

This is where you can suggest new features and discuss upcoming features.
User

Spectre

Rank

Lieutenant

Lieutenant

Sun May 17, 2015 5:22 am

Re: Mining is so bright I gota wear shades

Postby Spectre » Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:36 am

I remember this feature. Maybe it will be changed, but i think alternate methods may have to be developed or attempted. Most of my systems are red stars, so I understand your point Moon. I guess we will wait and see how it goes. Any one have a quick fix for in in the mean-time?
Senator of
Spire Redguard
Fireside Alexandria
Provenance Ebon
Omega Prime

Member of TG, MG, and the Dark Calling
User

Moneyman

Rank

Captain

Captain

Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:53 pm

Massachusetts

Postby Moneyman » Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:07 pm

Spectre wrote:Piloting your ship to face away from the glare of the star seems the logical response. That is what I do in these cases. Not every system has a harsh glare. It seems a more realistic setting than a magic button or setting to resolve it.

Gl w your mining.

BTW bashing JAM does not help the issue. I have spoken to him many times and he replies to major issues and payment problems. All others must go thru elected channels. IRC chat may speed this up, but is not definite by any means.

:mrgreen: I wasn't JAM bashing - my point was quick fixes are not possible when there many issues to deal with.

--- Yes, I've said that he and I don't communicate BUT I long ago changed my focus to other directions.
User

Moneyman

Rank

Captain

Captain

Massachusetts

Postby Moneyman » Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:15 pm

Mooncrest wrote:The problem is not only the star flare, but also the brightness of the various nebulae, or whatever they are, in the systems. Oddly, there are some systems where it is too dark to see the asteroids. So, we are suffering at both ends of the brightness scale.

This i why I think that the "nightvision" should work as it once did and really highlight the mineable asteroids so that they can be seen against whatever background the system has. Although after two years at it I do not find mining too difficult any more, I know that some players do and simply being able to identify which piece of rock is mineable would be a great help.

:mrgreen: Prehaps, a highlighting palette might be a better choice the night vision? :)
User

Duke

Rank

Lieutenant

Lieutenant

Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:03 pm

Postby Duke » Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:23 am

Nebula's are mostly gases, but can also contain 'dust'. They are the birth places for Stars. The problem with trying to put your back to stars and nebula's is that you have to chase the roids, and they always run for suns or nebula's which means you end up facing the star or nebula. I think its a Murphy thing.

This is a problem for some belts, and I still think the easiest fix is a small window that contains the asteroid info. The info is already put up on the screen when you select a roid. If we could turn on a window that has a black background and nice size fonts and just redirect the asteroid info from the screen to the window. I'm sure that this is item 4285 of the top 3 things Jam is planning on working on today. But on the day this issue hits his 'to do' list, just maybe we will have come up with something that will give him a easy simple fix for the problem.

Now here is a brain teaser. What are the odds I will get hit by lighting? What are the odds that I will pick the winning numbers for the lottery? What are the odds that I will come up with something that will make Jams job easy or simple?

And while you are working on the math, I'm going to study the effects of mining while drinking. I like science!
See you out with the spinners.
Drunk Jedi Mining - Small Moons, Asteroids, and stationary Starships - we mine it all
1/5 th at a time
PROUD TO SUPPORT ASCENT
Senator: Ultima, Heavy Iron
User

LadyHawk

Rank

Lieutenant

Lieutenant

Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:25 pm

Postby LadyHawk » Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:09 am

Hmm, ya know I've heard the Borg have a visual implant that can filter the natural light out from your electronically displayed light as well as supply night vision. Nah, nevermind...I wouldn't want to be assimilated just for that :-P

Although I know next to nothing about coding, I do agree it sounds like a simple step to just put the already displaying asteroid info into a separate box (like the contracts or cargo), giving it a black background to make the text much more visible in those overly bright star systems. So, adding my voice to the cause in hopes Jam will hear us.

Cheers Duke and Happy Hunting out there all
User

wingtip

Rank

2nd Lieutenant

2nd Lieutenant

Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:04 pm

Postby wingtip » Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:59 pm

mining is just a pain in the ass all the way around... from the bright reflections blinding you to the stupid size of the astroids vs the tiny beam length... I hate mining those dog bones when they're rotating cause they are longer than the length of the beam and it never fails that by the time you get close enough to beam it as it swings around it will go out of reach on one side then knock the hell out of your ship on the other side of the rotation....
I do as little mining as possible cause to me its just another broken feature in this game...much like the blinding reflections...
User

rmartz

Rank

Rear Admiral

Rear Admiral

Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:37 pm

Postby rmartz » Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:14 am

wingtip wrote:mining is just a pain in the ass all the way around... from the bright reflections blinding you to the stupid size of the astroids vs the tiny beam length... I hate mining those dog bones when they're rotating cause they are longer than the length of the beam and it never fails that by the time you get close enough to beam it as it swings around it will go out of reach on one side then knock the hell out of your ship on the other side of the rotation....
I do as little mining as possible cause to me its just another broken feature in this game...much like the blinding reflections...

Mine all the rest and call me in on the dogbones. I will split the yields with you.

There is a balance between challenge and stumbling block. It also varies from person to person. I wish the dogbones yielded 2 x and I think few would complain. On the contrary, I think they would hunt them down.
Ingame accounts: RAM, rmartz
Check out RAM Memories.
Visit AscentExtras.com for player built game tools, guilds, and links to game related data.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
User

LadyHawk

Rank

Lieutenant

Lieutenant

Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:25 pm

Postby LadyHawk » Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:15 am

Yeah, I agree...if the dogbones were worth all the trouble they are to mine, I'd be all over them.

As it is, I pretty much leave them behind unless I'm desperate. Unless my hypothesis is faulty,
if left for a few more months, they will wear down to more manageable shapes and yield more when
mined on top of it.
User

Moneyman

Rank

Captain

Captain

Massachusetts

Postby Moneyman » Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:37 pm

:mrgreen: The last few comments were all very interesting. Frankly, I always ended up w/ the dogbones (good name) and chasing them was a pain.
User

Duke

Rank

Lieutenant

Lieutenant

Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:03 pm

Postby Duke » Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:44 am

Moneyman, this is off topic – my apology.

Dog bones are a challenge.

One of the things I have found that has made mining easier for me is where I place the mining beam on my ship. Place it as far out from the center line and towards the back of the ship. Doing this makes it easier to see the beam and keeps it from creating glare on your screen from the mining process. If you do this with the Leviathan you will find that the mining beam is to one side or the other of the targeting reticle, so you have to adjust where you are pointing the ship to keep the beam on the smaller asteroids. The Ophan and Bowhead are not wide enough to make placing the mining beam like this a problem for them.

Learning how to turn the gravity anchor on and off to assist in maintaining distance to, and your ship pointed at the asteroid, is the key to mining. If you can master this, then it all comes down to knowing when to stop beaming the asteroid. I did a lot of mining of silicon, uranium, and magnesium to perfect the process. The number of roids that I was so focused on keeping my ship within distance of and on target but then forgot to watch the beam color to only watch the roid explode. What was that sound that Homer Simpson made when something went wrong?

I use the Leviathan with a cl 15 mining beam, and in my humble opinion, you need the stand-off room a cl 15 beam gives to mine a full grown dog-bone with ease. I can do it with my cl 10 mining beam, but anything bigger than my Bowhead and the ship isn’t responsive enough.

If I can't find my sunglasses I may have to look into those implants.

Anyhow, got some bootleg refreshments – time to go dig up some dog bones. See you out among the spinners.
Drunk Jedi Mining - Small Moons, Asteroids, and stationary Starships - we mine it all
1/5 th at a time
PROUD TO SUPPORT ASCENT
Senator: Ultima, Heavy Iron
Previous