Easy ways to greatly improve the visuals with little effort

This is where you can suggest new features and discuss upcoming features.
User

ForumBot

Rank

Captain

Captain

Thu May 08, 2014 1:39 am

Easy ways to greatly improve the visuals with little effort

Postby ForumBot » Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:18 am

I've experienced a lot of what I'm suggesting from elsewhere, so i have somewhat of an idea of what would look good.

First is a higher resolution skybox. Easy way to do this is rendering a skybox directly from Space Engine using their built in skybox rendering feature, where you can make your skybox look as HD as you want. I think you are free to use the skyboxes at will as long as you give credit or something but this would still be worth double checking.

Next is using a little more neon, aka that material that glows but emits no light and looks futuristic. I think using a little more, especially on ships that currently have none, would help make ships without the material fit in better.

Last isn't really a visual improvement but would still help, and that is simply a greater variety of soundtracks. There's several good artists on youtube where asking for permission and giving credit is likely all that would be required to do to use them. Alternatively Jam could hire someone to make a more unique soundtrack, but especially now there'd probably be some financial problems with that.
Joined on May 6, 2014 and quit on January 3rd, 2016.

Officially the 12980th registered user ingame, ~158th registered forum account.
Discoverer of Nexus
User

Xanuri

Rank

Lt Commander

Lt Commander

Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:34 pm

Re: Easy ways to greatly improve the visuals with little eff

Postby Xanuri » Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:33 am

ForumBot wrote:I've experienced a lot of what I'm suggesting from elsewhere, so i have somewhat of an idea of what would look good.

First is a higher resolution skybox. Easy way to do this is rendering a skybox directly from Space Engine using their built in skybox rendering feature, where you can make your skybox look as HD as you want. I think you are free to use the skyboxes at will as long as you give credit or something but this would still be worth double checking.

Next is using a little more neon, aka that material that glows but emits no light and looks futuristic. I think using a little more, especially on ships that currently have none, would help make ships without the material fit in better.

Last isn't really a visual improvement but would still help, and that is simply a greater variety of soundtracks. There's several good artists on youtube where asking for permission and giving credit is likely all that would be required to do to use them. Alternatively Jam could hire someone to make a more unique soundtrack, but especially now there'd probably be some financial problems with that.

I am not trying to discount your suggestions at all, but I think there are far more important things that need to have his attention at the moment. Just my opinion!
The Dark Calling - High Councilor

If you have a Dark Calling, we are here in the Red Zone awaiting your arrival.
User

ForumBot

Rank

Captain

Captain

Thu May 08, 2014 1:39 am

Re: Easy ways to greatly improve the visuals with little eff

Postby ForumBot » Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:17 pm

Xanuri wrote:
ForumBot wrote:I've experienced a lot of what I'm suggesting from elsewhere, so i have somewhat of an idea of what would look good.

I am not trying to discount your suggestions at all, but I think there are far more important things that need to have his attention at the moment. Just my opinion!

While I agree, at least importing an improved skybox takes around 10 minutes (at least for me), so while there's still more important things jam needs to work on, a new skybox might be worth it for a likely small amount of his time, although if i do remember correctly unity flips one of the sides as well which would need to be accounted for.
Joined on May 6, 2014 and quit on January 3rd, 2016.

Officially the 12980th registered user ingame, ~158th registered forum account.
Discoverer of Nexus