Ascent: Black Sky

This is where you can suggest new features and discuss upcoming features.
no avatar
User

Piarou

Rank

Space Cadet

Space Cadet

Mon May 08, 2017 5:17 pm

Re: Ascent: Black Sky

Postby Piarou » Wed May 10, 2017 3:58 pm

Okay, new player here. Started playing on May 5th. I haven't read all posts in this thread, for that is just a wee bit too much for me to go through right now, so if anything I said has already been brought up/debunked/turned down, please forgive me.

First of all, so far I like the game very much. And I haven't even ventured outside the Inner 9 much (only for specific asteroid fields). I have my ISB slowly going up, and my grain is being eaten on Apollo. So that is all good. The community is nice and helpful, which is good for retention, of course, but a mail-system would definitely help me in getting more ties in the game.

There are a few ideas I have that could be added/improved.

[*]I find it very weird that the passenger-contracts have no time-limit. Basically I could 'kidnap' a family of 11 by never dropping them off at their destination. Maybe this can be added in Black Sky. You could then also toy around with passengers-with-haste, who offer bigger rewards, but have smaller time-frames.

[*]Same thing can of course be added to the other contracts, be they materials or packages.

[*]Please add a section in the 'Assets'-overview where one can see which blueprint-fragments one already has.

[*]In my humble opinion, there should be more stroopwafels distributed amongst the players.

That is all I can think of for now. Keep having fun, and DFTBA!
no avatar
User

RAM

Rank

Commander

Commander

Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:36 am

Postby RAM » Wed May 10, 2017 4:46 pm

Piarou wrote:[*]Please add a section in the 'Assets'-overview where one can see which blueprint-fragments one already has.

Excellent idea and location for this to go.

Piarou wrote:there should be more stroopwafels distributed amongst the players.

Yet another excellent idea!! You want me to email you a mailing list? :lol:
"The UNCA is not your boss!" ~ Jessica Steele
Fan Fiction from an old timer - RAM Memories
User

Moneyman

Rank

Captain

Captain

Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:53 pm

Massachusetts

Postby Moneyman » Wed May 10, 2017 7:03 pm

:mrgreen: My stormtroopers have had to put down a few riots when my BH colonists heard about the stroopwafels. :(
User

BoshingTong

Rank

Commander

Commander

Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:46 am

USA, Pa

Postby BoshingTong » Wed May 10, 2017 7:44 pm

Moneyman wrote:

:mrgreen: My stormtroopers have had to put down a few riots when my BH colonists heard about the stroopwafels. :(

My colonists are good, they know how to cue.
Owner of BSFA (Bosh Survey & Freightage Authority)
Senator of Logopolis, New Dawn, Babylon
Governor of Poosh, Tigland, Prime Sun, Babel

Mayor of all BSFA Colonies & OSBs
User

PopeKael

Rank

Ensign

Ensign

Sun May 07, 2017 12:26 am

Bangkok

Postby PopeKael » Fri May 12, 2017 8:10 am

Ok, it's probably time for me to throw my 2 cents worth in here seeing that I'm also a new recruit - Downloaded on the 2th of May, did some YouTube research prior to that but as this was on my wishlist and it came on sale, I purchased it. Did way more research on the 3rd of May and opened the game to play on the 4th. Now at 68 game hours......

Anyway, I did make a mention about a Discord voice channel, so the sooner that gets implemented the better.

Here is what I wrote yesterday on our Discord server for the other 60 people who are part of Forsaken Crusade:-

Some of you might have noticed I've been playing a game that was recently on sale on Steam. Ascent-TSG. I don't know how many on here have actually played it over the 2 years it has been around, but I thought I'd give it a mention here anyway.
First up, yes, the game is a bit on the 'clunky' side when you compare it to our favorite Star Citizen or even Elite Dangerous, but I'd like to give credit where credit is due. This is an indi game written by one or two Aussies and I'm quite impressed with the depth of what they have done from a level of the code. It's been built on the Unity4 platform and it has had a few crashes but no worse than I've had with SC.
Yes, I realize most of you are playing Ark in your spare time and yes, I may get around to playing that as well seeing that I have purchased it. I just feel that everyone here has got such a head start that I'd always feel like the noob and annoy people with too many questions....
Anyway, back to Ascent - this game does have a subscription model at $3US per month but you get the first 3 months free when you purchase through Steam. I've been playing for a week now and have been getting ready to plant my first colony somewhere in the universe. The regulars I've chatted with on the game chat seem like a decent crew and I've been pestering them to set up a DIscord server because i do find typing chat kinda old school. This idea does have some traction but they are running it past the game developer to see if he wants to make it an official Discord voice channel.
Here's a couple of links that you might enjoy - the first is a fairly well written 3rd party review (the Steam reviews have a 75% in favour rating and the negative reviews that I have read can be justified, but you know how people can rant when they want to compare a game like this with others). The second is a Scot Manley video review of the game which I feel was a reasonable response to the developer request for him to give it a try.

So yes, I do think this game is a bit clunky. I'm not a game developer, but I have done 3D art in games such as IMVU, Second Life and NuVera, and the Model Art here is in serious need of an artist touch. Unity doesn't have a good LoD rendering algorithm for distance, so you do need to work with very low poly models, but that does take time. I'm retired and living in Thailand as a self funded retiree, and I certainly don't want the job - LoL

The depth of the code here looks impressive though and it would be nice to see the 3D world match the level of though that was put into the game. At the time of writing this, I only have my inner system colony's and starbase done, so I have to go off the videos I've seen to gauge now much more there is available to explore in the game. That being said, here's my list of things that would be worth sharing with my friends if they were implemented.

1. Inner trade hubs - I'm sure there could be more done with the NPC trading here. Once you have the set piece blueprints, is in necessary to have them on a list with an asterisks after them denoting you already have them?
2. Inner trade hubs - I'm sure you could double the poly count without putting any additional load on the server. This is one of the first things a new person will see, so they need to be slick and look like a trillion dollar space station.
3. Inner trade hubs - as with the Deep Six hub, is it necessary to land on the station if you are only looking at contracts? This will speed up that part of the game.
4. Inner trade hubs - If you need to deliver goods, yes you need to land, so make the landing sequence more realistic.
5. The basic training missions do help with learning the mechanics of the game, but without the assistance of the other players and the wiki, it can be awfully confusing. I would rather talk someone through this than constantly typing answers in the global chat - even a private player-to-player chat would help here.
6. I'm sure more NPC missions wouldn't hurt the development of new players - from where I am now, there is a long grind with repetitive cargo runs and asteroid mining to contend with to raise the cash for a cl11,cl12,cl13 etc ship, so it would be nice to have some more story line missions to run to break the monotony.
7. I still have no idea how to defeat the NPC raiders after completing the stealth mission - I guess I need a bigger ship, bigger weapons, and more armour. I should be able to buy these things readily. Right now, there looks to be only one player supplying these items (on this forum) and nothing being done in the actual game. That simply doesn't make sense from a game perspective.
8. I run an Nvidia GTX1070 graphics card which can certainly handle the maximum graphics Unity can throw at it, but I have to run the game at 'good' quality because there is no gamma correction in the interface and I can actually see the buildings when it is set to good. This is a standard feature for most games and should be mandatory for a space game where everything is dark.
9. I am concerned that with a game like this were everyone whose been around for some time has already bought all the best land closest to the inner 9 system, will I be able to have the same enterprise business 6 sectors out? This sort of thing has already shown up for me when playing EVE and aside from the fact that everyone there wants to kill you - LoL. A new player should have the same opportunity to create an enterprise business as those who have played for a thousand hours. I am only speculating on this from the videos I've watched as I haven't actually set down a colony yet - still doing research to get the necessary probes to start that process.

Well, that is all I can really summarize at this point of time in the game. I agree with Scott Manley's comments "Can one man develop a Space MMO?" and "This is a strangely ambitious game", but I do think it has a lot of potential to be spoken about when people talk about space MMO games like Star Citizen, Elite Dangerous, Hellion and EVE.
“The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.” ― Douglas Adams
no avatar
User

rastilion

Rank

Lt Commander

Lt Commander

Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:10 pm

Alveran

Postby rastilion » Fri May 12, 2017 8:17 am

Something that came to mind later on and should be easy to implement, since all functions are already available:
On the overview-page for colony/SB-Modules, allow grouping of all modules into groups by type and add a button per module/group to dis/enable the module or group.
This would allow players to much more efficiently manage their bases.

Example:
Graphene Factories | [Toggle Group]
Graphene Factory 1 | Coords | Other Info | [Toggle Module]
Graphene Factory 2 | Coords | Other Info | [Toggle Module]
Graphene Factory 3 | Coords | Other Info | [Toggle Module]
Graphene Factory 4 | Coords | Other Info | [Toggle Module]
Graphene Factory 5 | Coords | Other Info | [Toggle Module]

Power Plants | [Toggle Group]
Power Plant 1 | Coords | Other Info | [Toggle Module]
Power Plant 2 | Coords | Other Info | [Toggle Module]
Power Plant 3 | Coords | Other Info | [Toggle Module]
Power Plant 4 | Coords | Other Info | [Toggle Module]
Power Plant 5 | Coords | Other Info | [Toggle Module]

etc

Regards
User

BoshingTong

Rank

Commander

Commander

Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:46 am

USA, Pa

Postby BoshingTong » Fri May 12, 2017 2:33 pm

rastilion wrote:Something that came to mind later on and should be easy to implement, since all functions are already available:
On the overview-page for colony/SB-Modules, allow grouping of all modules into groups by type and add a button per module/group to dis/enable the module or group.
This would allow players to much more efficiently manage their bases.

Example:
Graphene Factories | [Toggle Group]
Graphene Factory 1 | Coords | Other Info | [Toggle Module]
Graphene Factory 2 | Coords | Other Info | [Toggle Module]
Graphene Factory 3 | Coords | Other Info | [Toggle Module]
Graphene Factory 4 | Coords | Other Info | [Toggle Module]
Graphene Factory 5 | Coords | Other Info | [Toggle Module]

Power Plants | [Toggle Group]
Power Plant 1 | Coords | Other Info | [Toggle Module]
Power Plant 2 | Coords | Other Info | [Toggle Module]
Power Plant 3 | Coords | Other Info | [Toggle Module]
Power Plant 4 | Coords | Other Info | [Toggle Module]
Power Plant 5 | Coords | Other Info | [Toggle Module]

etc

Regards

That is a great idea. I am all in for that. You could do it for colonies to.
Owner of BSFA (Bosh Survey & Freightage Authority)
Senator of Logopolis, New Dawn, Babylon
Governor of Poosh, Tigland, Prime Sun, Babel

Mayor of all BSFA Colonies & OSBs
no avatar
User

Wulf

Rank

Captain

Captain

Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:33 am

Postby Wulf » Sat May 13, 2017 4:55 pm

DLC change:
I believe it might be handy if the ship dlc came with a hyperdrive and couple of class 10 mods MB and RS, (non combat ship so non point in the combat stuff). this way it's a complete item with some simple directions on where the mods will be stored and how to swap the standard class 1's for the 10's when wanted. would make the DLC more complete and at class 10, have room to upgrade.

Low level mods:
speaking of that, as one of the main supplies of low level hyper drives it would be no hardship to community and a bonus to new players to be able to buy or "earn" low level h-drives and likely the MB and RS.

Story Line:
Buy or earn low level ,under class 10, MB, RS and H-D
we never over price the low level stuff, but to avoid trolls rarely have any in SM (avoid trolls from flipping) that means new players have little access to H-D's, MB and RS. believe there are a lot of ways that they could be earned and later bought, maybe as part of the pirate/black market concept if you want that path or from the planetary civilian council for helping the colonies (if you prefer that route).

Play help:
believe we could use a few other political NPC voices, these would be simple story lines to implement. if wanted I or another could right out a scenario set (personally I would love to do for the infamy ARRR :mrgreen: ) just ask and we(community) will make a new post with concepts ect . yes bit of a spoiler if community does it but it's for the new players and we can tag it as possible spoiler alert.

late game story line:
just as an extension to more story arcs IF you feel more is wanted I would be possible to have a story arc with access to rare mats, personally I envision this as a combat/stealth pirate scenarios. Again this is optional as all of this stuff is available to buy from players, but would be cool, blow pirates up, use salvage beam to gather research points (trade in to UNCA to reduce cost of the class 11+ BP), rare mats ? class 1-9 mods (complete but damaged mod ie damaged class 7 MB, equip and pay the repair cost.

Player made story arcs
no idea on the level of difficulty for this
I and many others have put into place story arcs with rewards, if this could be hard coded (perhaps through a 3rd party like appointed community moderators or presidential approval) that would add interesting engagement.

Fix up the exploration buying feature: -need someone else with a good idea suggestion-
we did get bonus for exploring locations and option to access that info, but it's not really working well, maybe someone would like to tackle that feature to make it work better. it's there but so behind the scenes it's virtually forgotten.

change language
couple spots where language or phrasing would help out. the one that jumps to mind is the industry and starvation on core planets.
they don't make any sense. are we making people stave and is this my personal industry I am supplying and if so where do i get the made goods. especially if we get expanded markets in the core theses might be better worded to reflect what is happening (especially to help poor old wulves with limited grammar :lol: ) I am sure there are a few fantastic word smiths out there a few possibles that come to mind, humanitarian aid, medical assistance, infrastructure (industry kinda works but implies that i am making a person industry empire)
recreational, etc.

NOTE: possible concept - turn in old ships to core (full ships w/H-D not npc's so they are very expensive past class 10 buy-able ones) then theses ships are part of an (invisible?) line to your colonies and provide tourism and consumer trade. MAKE colonies great again. (er never were great so make then worthwhile :D )

offer 4 political stances:
1) UNCA military stance
2) Colony/ core people type
3) free (also pirate friendly)
4) custom (current pick your own colony wages and banned)

WHY? several reasons first and foremost it lets us quickly move or adjust to (hopefully) full market economy,
absent players will move to free and those that like to fiddle can do custom with most picking 1 or 2.
BALANCE, biggest reason is fast way to balance trade and have quick control of all colonies and osb's. this is important to maintain the game for the long run. this is as much for players as it is for casual or absent players

sets a base for costs of production (gives colony and it's osb money to generate demand) reduces the hauling boredom (NOTE possible hauling solution is to make small ships w/ cargo high base prices the mega ships w/ cargo)
tourism
consumer goods demand
luxuries
cap production or reserve storage space (hard to feed colonies or have H for jumps when mats overrun all the storage space)
etc.

well that's long enough for one post.
User

gotpurplefleas

Rank

Lt Commander

Lt Commander

Wed May 13, 2015 6:21 pm

Postby gotpurplefleas » Sun May 14, 2017 1:02 pm

PopeKael wrote:Ok, it's probably time for me to throw my 2 cents worth in here seeing that I'm also a new recruit - Downloaded on the 2th of May, did some YouTube research prior to that but as this was on my wishlist and it came on sale, I purchased it. Did way more research on the 3rd of May and opened the game to play on the 4th. Now at 68 game hours......

9. I am concerned that with a game like this were everyone whose been around for some time has already bought all the best land closest to the inner 9 system, will I be able to have the same enterprise business 6 sectors out? This sort of thing has already shown up for me when playing EVE and aside from the fact that everyone there wants to kill you - LoL. A new player should have the same opportunity to create an enterprise business as those who have played for a thousand hours. I am only speculating on this from the videos I've watched as I haven't actually set down a colony yet - still doing research to get the necessary probes to start that research.

I think that is a very good argument for more NPC hubs. New players have no idea when they begin gameplay that there are 270 billion stars within reach, and we really aren't crowded as this suggests. A different start location, as an option, could rejuvenate a sense that I am playing a brand new game in a brand new galaxy, and its my job to explore it, and tame it. It would also give the feeling that, like Pope suggests, there is plenty to choose from, and I can take my pick in this new area, and work toward being a pioneer in this separate section of the galaxy, setting up a life for myself first, then also helping others, to do the same. Even if this new area is eventually connectable to the older hub(s) it won't matter at the point that I enter the game. This will set up a sort of cell based gameplay for all players, and could even lend a dynamic that could greatly enhance gameplay for all...new and old alike.

As a player that has been playing for a while I would love to see this as an option, even for myself. I find it exciting, still, to think about what is out there, and what I will find next. I also really enjoy going back and re-starting, if you will, with a little knowledge about how the game works to see if I can utilize resources and research in a different manner, and hence possibly bring about a new outcome, or maybe even just shortcut thru some things, gaining a new experience each time I start a new account, which, btw I do not think should be the option of choice to choose a new home base, or starting position. However, since this is currently the only way to begin afresh I have utilized this method.

Last point...This could conceivably become a lead in for a re-launch, or even a sequel. Our universe is expanding. We still haven't found earth yet, but we have found some of our splinter groups or factions that were also disconnected...and we will work together to reconnect as many of us as possible.....and then maybe pool resources to find earth together?...idk...I do know that this would definitely add a very interesting twist to the game.

thnx
fleas
gotpurplefleas
Senator of Food Court
User

Moneyman

Rank

Captain

Captain

Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:53 pm

Massachusetts