Ascent: Black Sky

This is where you can suggest new features and discuss upcoming features.
no avatar
User

Wulf

Rank

Captain

Captain

Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:33 am

Re: Ascent: Black Sky

Postby Wulf » Wed May 17, 2017 10:34 pm

Economics Model:

IF wanted I can write a full economics model but it's a bit of work so if no interest then I am good to let it slide, just posting here to see if development team wants one.
And if they want my style of one.
Is there someone else who has a perfect one for the game?

O, as a side note, I am not a fan of 2nd start location, there are more important matters at hand, AND if players think it's crowded (it's not only a mis-perception) then information on all the room there really is,
And/Or let a new link or two to the core systems perhaps one from Janis to Red Zone and another to a new area, perhaps even as a kick off item. (kinda like another Jam-1 type place but gated to the core, place for special contracts)
User

Mooncrest

Rank

Commodore

Commodore

Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:19 pm

MIB Tyngbraneth, Miner's Paradise

Postby Mooncrest » Thu May 18, 2017 9:45 am

Wulf wrote:Economics Model:

IF wanted I can write a full economics model but it's a bit of work so if no interest then I am good to let it slide, just posting here to see if development team wants one.
I think that apart from making sure that the Stock Market Search only displays viable transactions, which will make Player-to-Player trading a lot less frustrating, we should do away with the Local Market altogether. If Players wish to purchase the basic mterials there are plenty of other players who can supply these at reasonable prices. The NPC part of the economy would then rely on the Contracts Board, which could be expanded to include sales and purchases of al materials and components. this, in tsself would limit the amount of new cash entering the game, meaning there would be less of a need for a 'cash sink'.

O, as a side note, I am not a fan of 2nd start location, there are more important matters at hand, AND if players think it's crowded (it's not only a mis-perception) then information on all the room there really is,
And/Or let a new link or two to the core systems perhaps one from Janis to Red Zone and another to a new area, perhaps even as a kick off item. (kinda like another Jam-1 type place but gated to the core, place for special contracts)
Not a fan of a second sart location either. However,we do need the ability to be able to sell ships and ship modules and repair ships at Player starbases. We need this to break the ties to the Inner 9. This will then give the more advanced players the ability to populate the rest of the Galaxy and not be constantly returning to the Inner 9 systems for a new ship. We also need a way of transporting new colonists out to the furthest limits of our exploration

User

BoshingTong

Rank

Commander

Commander

Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:46 am

USA, Pa

Postby BoshingTong » Thu May 18, 2017 2:21 pm

Mooncrest wrote:
Wulf wrote:Economics Model:

I think that apart from making sure that the Stock Market Search only displays viable transactions, which will make Player-to-Player trading a lot less frustrating, we should do away with the Local Market altogether. If Players wish to purchase the basic mterials there are plenty of other players who can supply these at reasonable prices. The NPC part of the economy would then rely on the Contracts Board, which could be expanded to include sales and purchases of al materials and components. this, in tsself would limit the amount of new cash entering the game, meaning there would be less of a need for a 'cash sink'.

Where would a new player get starting cred to buy from players?
Owner of BSFA (Bosh Survey & Freightage Authority)
Senator of Logopolis, New Dawn, Babylon
Governor of Poosh, Tigland, Prime Sun, Babel

Mayor of all BSFA Colonies & OSBs
User

Mooncrest

Rank

Commodore

Commodore

Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:19 pm

MIB Tyngbraneth, Miner's Paradise

Postby Mooncrest » Thu May 18, 2017 7:25 pm

BoshingTng wrote:Where would a new player get starting cred to buy from players?

A Player's starting credits would come from the same source as now; the Tutorial Missions, plus asteroid mining. True, it would slow down the rate at which new players can purchase new ships, especially the larger Classes, but is not necessarily a bad thing imho..
User

BoshingTong

Rank

Commander

Commander

Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:46 am

USA, Pa

Postby BoshingTong » Thu May 18, 2017 8:27 pm

Mooncrest wrote:
BoshingTng wrote:Where would a new player get starting cred to buy from players?

A Player's starting credits would come from the same source as now; the Tutorial Missions, plus asteroid mining. True, it would slow down the rate at which new players can purchase new ships, especially the larger Classes, but is not necessarily a bad thing imho..

Not sure it is a good move for new players. Dealing with the I9 is tough enough but forgoing those and just having them deal with player SMs. Have to find the right system then the right colony or osb could be really boring and hard to find also having to fly down to colonies. As a new player having to do hundreds or thousands of time to move along and get new ships. I think you will loose the attention of starting players.

Now if you could make it so one click in the SM would auto fly you to the right spot now that might work, not having to try and find a 3-8 jump colony would make this work.

I also think galactic communication would be nice. Being able to pick up contract from anywhere with a gate lets say would be sweet. You could then also communicate with your own OSBs and colonies if they are connect to the gate system.
Owner of BSFA (Bosh Survey & Freightage Authority)
Senator of Logopolis, New Dawn, Babylon
Governor of Poosh, Tigland, Prime Sun, Babel

Mayor of all BSFA Colonies & OSBs
User

davh62

Rank

Commodore

Commodore

Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:40 pm

UK

Postby davh62 » Thu May 18, 2017 8:33 pm

Local market should be capped. Controversial yes? Well no not really

A realistic market would have demand change in terms of quantity as well as price? I have no idea how it could be implemented btw. I just think for realism sake it's a must.
FG Fighters Guild Founder
Senator of Ferrite-Senator of Prime-Senator of Barons Rest- Hater of rams speaking date stamp
User

Greydog

Rank

Ensign

Ensign

Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:14 pm

Postby Greydog » Thu May 18, 2017 8:46 pm

Honestly, as a fairly new player, I liked the local markets being there as an easy source of cash close in. However, after moving out I have never looked back and have not found a need for the LM except as a place to dump surplus supplies.

IMO, removing it would be unnecessary and may even be a detriment to new player development.

My rise from pauper to billionaire in a matter of days was not due to the market, but from the many helpful players who insisted I accept their gifts (which I did appreciate btw) ;)
I plan on living forever ...so far so good!
User

gotpurplefleas

Rank

Lt Commander

Lt Commander

Wed May 13, 2015 6:21 pm

Postby gotpurplefleas » Fri May 19, 2017 5:05 pm

Hi all...o/

Low Hanging Fruit...

Break down staples and diversify:

1. Food stuffs
Fruit - apples, oranges, Mangos, pineapple etc...
Veg - tomatoes, spinach, broccoli etc...
Meat - Beef, Pork, armadillo? etc... add fish and seafood to this category
Grain - Corn, Wheat, oats etc...
From the added items the research tree could be extended to include things like fruit juices, milk, cakes, and...RUM!...lol
Bonuses could conceivably remain connected to the main food group as they are now, but if there was more than one food of that type in the warehouse, then it could give an added moral boost or health bonus, similar to the way that luxury goods currently enhance a colony now.

2. Materials
Basically just more types of materials that can be used during construction.
Concrete, ceramics, plastics etc...

3. Structures
New Structures: (some of this is not "Low Hanging Fruit", but I didn't know where else to put it.)
Foundries, Forges, and Smelters - to combine materials and make new materials and advance technology. (I think this may be good in combination with research centers to begin reverse engineering of Alien techs...maybe with a view toward those massive Gates that have been mentioned?)
Colony Administrative Office - The Mayors Office and Community Development Center...complete with all tools, utilities, and analyzers required to run the entire colony from EVA.
Apollo Sector Capitol - An NPC Colony that houses The Colonial Senate Building, The United Nations Combined Arms Regional Headquarters, and all other structures that are used in the governance and administration of The Apollo Sector.
Colony based manufacturing facilities - connected to the Landing Bays and capable of constructing everything except for the items that would be too large to transport into space via freighter or carrier. (ie ships hulls above the size of the Manta, mods too large to carry in a bowhead, etc.)

Existing Structures:
Entertainment Centers - more interaction with the structure when visiting during EVA (ie...more things to do and see). Just furnishing these buildings would enhance the experience.
Stock Markets - Create an interactive experience with the structure during EVA. Put a panel inside the building with an open stock market window on it that is functional to create the illusion that a player has walked into the stock market to do his business with this colony whilst on the ground.
Shipyards - I once docked with another sellers star base and was amazed to find that I was actually in the hanger at this players ISB. I Would love to see this feature as a permanent addition to the game.

My list could go on, but this is getting pretty long so I will end it here. I think that a lot of these types of additions would add to a more polished, immersive, and realistic environment.

Thnx
fleas
Last edited by gotpurplefleas on Fri May 19, 2017 8:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
gotpurplefleas
Senator of Food Court
User

Moneyman

Rank

Captain

Captain

Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:53 pm

Massachusetts

Postby Moneyman » Fri May 19, 2017 6:15 pm

:mrgreen: Items selected from fleas' above posting:

1. Food stuffs
Fruit - apples, oranges, Mangos, pineapple etc...
Veg - tomatoes, spinach, broccoli etc...
Meat - Beef, Pork, armadillo? etc... add fish and seafood to this category
Grain - Corn, Wheat, oats etc...

Food stuffs instead Natural items ... Add: Lumber, herbs, rubber, rock, lime, etc

2. Materials
Basically just more types of materials that can be used in during construction.
Concrete, ceramics, plastics etc...

Above suggest manufacturing: A prerequisite tier to such things as robot factories.

Ceramics and plastics are prerequisites to electronics and the like ... an additional prerequisite to robot factories.

I suspect that JAM recognized the additional coding complexity required and decided that he just didn't have the time. :)

3. Structures
New Structures: (some of this is not "Low Hanging Fruit", but I didn't know where else to put it.)
Foundries, Forges, and Smelters - to combine materials and make new materials and advance technology.

Follows from last suggestion ... This begs the question about a trading + mining economy ... lot of re-thinking required.

Glad that you are beginning to consider these options ... Introduces a lot more depth to the game's economy ... needed.
User

Dirk

Rank

Ensign

Ensign

Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:01 pm

Among the Stars

Postby Dirk » Fri May 19, 2017 6:33 pm

gotpurplefleas wrote:Hi all...o/

Existing Structures:
Entertainment Centers - more interaction with the structure when visiting during EVA (ie...more things to do and see). Just furnishing these buildings would enhance the experience.
Stock Markets - Create an interactive experience with the structure during EVA. Put a panel inside the building with an open stock market window on it that is functional to create the illusion that a player has walked into the stock market to do his business with this colony whilst on the ground.
Shipyards - I once docked with another sellers star base and was amazed to find that I was actually in the hanger at this players ISB. I Would love to see this feature as a permanent addition to the game.

My list could go on, but this is getting pretty long so I will end it here. I think that a lot of these types of additions would add to a more polished, immersive, and realistic environment.

Thnx
fleas

Ahh Yes!.... "IMMERSION" (deep mental involvement in something.) That is how I like my games, I like to feel that I am in a different place, a place where I can build something new and grand.
I played another space game where the player was inside a cockpit looking through a transparent shield out to space. (IMMERSION).
In the next version of the game they removed the cockpits! I might as well have been sat on a bike in space. It broke my heart. :shock:

Dirk
Senator of Mara, Shangri La, Unicorn and Griffin
PreviousNext