Ascent: Black Sky

This is where you can suggest new features and discuss upcoming features.
User

Moneyman

Rank

Captain

Captain

Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:53 pm

Massachusetts

Re: Ascent: Black Sky

Postby Moneyman » Tue May 02, 2017 8:48 pm

:mrgreen: Frankly, the subsequent posts in this thread sound like: I want this and I want that. :)

:idea: No requests from me thought it'll be interesting to see how things actually develop (no pun intended). We, few, are excited ;)
User

Bozack

Rank

Lieutenant

Lieutenant

Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:25 am

Hawkinsville, GA

Postby Bozack » Tue May 02, 2017 9:28 pm

If deuterium had a purpose that would be a good thing.

Thanks,
Boz
User

BoshingTong

Rank

Commander

Commander

Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:46 am

USA, Pa

Postby BoshingTong » Tue May 02, 2017 11:03 pm

I love it. We are going to move forward again.

Questions?
What does reboot mean?
When will this start?
When is the next game coming out?
Will it be your fantasy game that you have talked about forever?

Ideas:
Fix the mail system so we can get all the mail.
Improve the NPCs.
Finish the smuggling system.
Add the T2s to the I9.
Terraforming for planets with no gases.
Weapons add more. missiles
Fix the deleting of buildings.
Owner of BSFA (Bosh Survey & Freightage Authority)
Senator of Logopolis, New Dawn, Babylon
Governor of Poosh, Tigland, Prime Sun, Babel

Mayor of all BSFA Colonies & OSBs
no avatar
User

Wulf

Rank

Captain

Captain

Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:33 am

Postby Wulf » Wed May 03, 2017 5:44 am

slight confusion is 'Ascent: Black Sky' the 2nd title/separate game an expansion pack or reincarnation or is there another project besides ascent update Black Sky?

If you are going to a new engine this gives opportunity to clean up a lot of things (false start colonies, messed up colonies and OSB, broken gates, and if handled well a great chance for old and current players to get excited about a fresh clean build. BUT i would find it a game breaker to lose all the work on a fresh map. so unless you have some fancy way to allow rapid rebuild..... But would be cool to see totally revamped items like worlds with tourist locations and rivers, ability to flatten terrain but I digress. I do like the idea of separate engine away from unity mostly because last unity update saw us lose a year of development to reworking engine.

top items for me is
1) a revamp of asteroid growth times,
[faster initial growth, growth look is per month vs per day and growth rate perhaps 7 times faster then tapping off, note as ships get bigger large/older rocks are more prized. (If wanted random starting ages to allow new systems/new players access to older rock instead of needing to raid)]

2) full trading mechanism/economics (make colonies worthwhile)

3) voice chat system (possibly use steam?)

4) clarification of rolls. are we, the players, leaders of a large corporation and if so then perhaps a more corporate government feel? perhaps we can all choice which style. would be a nice feature to make a decision on how our corporation is to be structured. (also a cash maker for those that want to purchase in-game advertisement space for their corporation, nice billboard space on those space stations or in-game product placement for RL advertisers, hey I am all for keeping the cost to players down :D)

5a) Feature: revamped shipyards, this is a messy item. hard to do inventory and potential to have a giant shipyard to create, run and watch it assemble spacecraft, getting BP for shipyard production facilities, building them and placing, all new mini-game for us shipbuilders especially if we can sell them to npc population as well as custom craft for players (not enough player demand to have more then one super builder in-game atm) AND?OR planet transportation yards, connecting colonies together and trade markets on surface.
5b) feature, we discussed it before the idea of collection 'tokens or fragments of info and turn them in and with the fragments that unca have to unlock new research. part of the combat, exploration system.

6) I would like some combat options but I am with ram on this no PVP or PVP only as friendly challenges but otherwise player grouping VS PVE this will turn a few off but it's a big feature that can wait.

7) IF relaunch , excellent opportunity to get old players a chance to come back and try out 'new version', so yes a key. it's all about volume isn't it?

8) if relaunch: must keep explored systems, big draw was immortality, no other game I can think of allowed a player to have a opportunity to permanently have there name in the stars. (this is a big thing)

this is only a couple on the top list and many have great ideas, it will be a very hard choice on what to do and I wish you luck.
Thank you for years of enjoyment and I look forward to whatever features and choices are made. All I can say is they will likely not come soon enough :D so please HURRY :lol:
User

LadyHawk

Rank

Lt Commander

Lt Commander

Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:25 pm

Postby LadyHawk » Wed May 03, 2017 12:49 pm

Hi Jam :)

I'm delighted to finally 'meet' you. I've been a player here for about 11 months and a devoted fan for 10 1/2 months and counting now.

First of all, thank you for the reassurance that the re-launch will not mean a re-set with loss of everything we've worked for in game to this point. As long as that's not a worry, I'm 100% behind whatever you decide to do and will work to help in any way I can. Unlike many of the other players here, I'm not a coder so don't have much understanding how difficult one task might be vs. another. I do have 2 suggestions that I think would be worthwhile investments of your time, even if they aren't 'low-hanging fruit' though.

First of all...this game has a fantastic community. Even the harshest critics writing reviews of the game comment positively on that. And, most of us are more than willing to work at helping you make this game the kind of success it deserves to be as well.
So, give us more tools to work with to further enhance the community...enable the ingame mail, give us a way to whisper or send private messages ingame, give us the ability to form squads/parties to work together in, most MMO's also include a chat channel for those in a squad or party as well. Whatever you can do in this area will help us to help you!

Second, puhleease fix the NPC pilot functionality :lol: I have made it one of my highest priorities to avoid building anything large enough that it had to be dependent on those stubborn, mindless creatures. I don't know anyone who has used them without running into frequent difficulty.

Beyond that...give the infamous Fluffy Kitten, Louie, a scratch under the chin for me...one cat lover to another...and please keep us posted how things are going!
no avatar
User

RAM

Rank

Captain

Captain

Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:36 am

Postby RAM » Wed May 03, 2017 2:46 pm

Relaunch is absolutely not in any way a reset. The whole point of having 270 billion star systems is never having to reset, not even 100 years from now when my grandchildren are running the game.

Thank you for clearing that up.

I'm not 100% locked in on the details but at present I envisage a re-launch being an exercise in cleaning up the game we have, finishing some of the still-open features that are ready to be closed off, improving the visuals a bit (and hopefully stability) and then a proper marketing push done in a way that says to the press "hey there's something new here, not the Ascent you saw in 2013, 2014, or 2015 (and even improved on the 2016!)". The idea is giving them something to write and stream about, which "update 1.5" is not. I would also like to see some new reviews on our Steam page. In the top 10 "most helpful" reviews you've still got thumbs-down ones complaining about stuff that was fixed literally years ago now. That's costing us sales, players and money (and therefore development and art time) every single day it stays that way.

Steam review structure is quite annoying. It allows old reviews from pre release to be driven to the top. I wrote a new (5000 hour) review recently and it is a challenge keeping it in eye's sight over a 10 minute player who could not figure out the controls.

Please Like and comment. It will help drive it to the top.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/rmartz/recommended/345010/

The Unity update introducing bugs is guaranteed to happen. I will personally test every feature and interface of the game afterwards, but we can also expect to need a Beta for it - you guys always find things I don't spot. On the plus side, Unity have focused a lot more of their development in the past 12 months on stability and fixing their own bugs (which in turn are the cause of many Ascent bugs), and I've been happy with their latest build's stability. A lot moreso than for example 5.3 which loved to crash with passionate abandon.

Sounds like the new engine is just a Unity update. While that can be a task, as history has shown, not a total rework. I can see this as a necessity.

The 'next game' is separate from Black Sky. Yes it's the medieval fantasy game I've been talking about for 20 years, yes some of you will get Beta invites when there's a coherent game for you to wreck, yes it's mind-blowingly exciting stuff and no I can't talk about it more yet.

An Amish Paladin or Wizard? Now that would be fun!

PVE only players never need to worry about PVP as it is, so stop worrying about it. You will only need to concern yourself with it if you deliberately settle in the red zone.

I just think it is a selling feature to take advantage of. It sets us apart. It drives the community. It shapes the game and play. I would just call on Jacarie if davh ever started torturing my rAMISH colonists. ;)

With that in mind, I need more specific feedback if you want me to fix/improve something like combat. Is there a good thread on it you could link to? I've got my own ideas on the subject but by now you've experienced a lot more combat than I have by now.

http://forum.thespacegame.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3401

As always, very leery about any idea where inner Stations appear in outer systems. The inner Stations represent entire planets' economies, not a station. You're talking billions of people. Perfectly willing to talk about things which stimulate demand in outer systems though. Luxury goods, bought with citizens' money? That's not a mega hard thing for me to implement - it would be mostly (if not totally) server-side and very data driven.

Some kind of outer system trade centers would actually be developing. There are several systems now that have a massive population and gate network themselves. Something simple to implement and could create real cash revenue for the game would be a draw and revenue maker. I do not see it as really affecting game dynamics. If it bought and sold at a lower amount as the inner system, it would reduce the credit stream into the game at the cost of convenience. If it ain't easy, ignore it like all my other ideas.

In general please bear in mind I'm looking for 'low hanging fruit'. Stuff that isn't going to take a long time or cost a fortune in new artwork. I like the terraforming features because they're mostly data driven and all the client stuff is done. I like finishing the combat quests because in theory I've got all the art/voice for them already.

Something seemingly big would likely need to be added to make the relaunch sound realistic. I think a strong combat system might be the easiest and most realistic sounding plan. With much of that already done, it might be the best path. You added coop combat in, but because we have some ships hidden from each other because of the pre release load, we can not see each other and it does not work when we tried it. Combat with functioning coop combat may be a very desired addition and reason to relaunch. Combat rewards besides credits would also be welcomed, but maybe too much presently. The credit reward system seems to not always work too. Davh could really speak to this much more.

But hold onto your big ideas. If we actually get some traction this time, we'll have money to develop some of those big ideas.

When have we ever been short of big ideas. With Wulf around, the dreamers always outpace the doers. :lol:
"The UNCA is not your boss!" ~ Jessica Steele
Fan Fiction from an old timer - RAM Memories
User

LadyHawk

Rank

Lt Commander

Lt Commander

Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:25 pm

Postby LadyHawk » Wed May 03, 2017 3:13 pm

FYI:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3209&hilit=gofundme

One of many of the discussions we've had as a community to try to come up with ways to improve Ascent. This one, moderated by our resident Saint Ram, is probably the most clear and concise.
User

BoshingTong

Rank

Commander

Commander

Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:46 am

USA, Pa

Postby BoshingTong » Wed May 03, 2017 3:25 pm

Did Jam post answers some where. I can't find it in this thread.
Owner of BSFA (Bosh Survey & Freightage Authority)
Senator of Logopolis, New Dawn, Babylon
Governor of Poosh, Tigland, Prime Sun, Babel

Mayor of all BSFA Colonies & OSBs
no avatar
User

RAM

Rank

Captain

Captain

Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:36 am

Postby RAM » Wed May 03, 2017 3:51 pm

BoshingTong wrote:Did Jam post answers some where. I can't find it in this thread.

Second post in this thread. He reserved it for responses. Took me a minute to find it too.
"The UNCA is not your boss!" ~ Jessica Steele
Fan Fiction from an old timer - RAM Memories
User

gotpurplefleas

Rank

Commander

Commander

Wed May 13, 2015 6:21 pm

Postby gotpurplefleas » Wed May 03, 2017 4:38 pm

hi all...o/,

How hard would it be to turn on PVP in the rz, and leave it off in the...uhm...CZ? (Civilized Zone?) I mean...in one sector you can't fire on a player...in the sector adjacent you can...then you could also set that NPC station somewhere way out in the rz and let pvpers have at it...later...after the re-launch as an added feature in an update.

There may be some griefing issues to contend with, but I think the player draw would be huge.
Just a thought.

fleas
gotpurplefleas
Senator of Food Court
PreviousNext