Comments to RAMs update on development

This is where you can suggest new features and discuss upcoming features.
User

Loke

Rank

Lt Commander

Lt Commander

Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:39 pm

Comments to RAMs update on development

Postby Loke » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:18 pm

RAM wrote:You can scream at me in a separate thread, so we do not trash this thread up too much.

And here we go! :lol:

RAM wrote:Jam and I had a nice discussion the other day. Lots going into the new updated client, but it will have to wait a while. This is specifically because Unity has been updated. He said it has a LOT of performance updates and lots of code updates too, but with the new engine, we know a LOT will be broken and it will take him a lot of time to debug all that. This means he new client is on hold for release. He is adding things into the coding (like Algae) but can not release it until he has recoded for the new Unity engine. This means we will have to wait for a new client.
Guess we wont see any new client in at least 7-8 months, since he is makeing TMG now. But sounds very promisining if we get an update at some point. And finally algae! :D

BUT, we still have server side stuff we can do. Here is the last ongoing list I have sent him.

1. Local Market Additions.

2. Delete bugged or unneeded gates. [Planned Titan to Tesla. (Duplicate gate. Another has been completed and working well.) This one is really annoying Xand and causing him a lot of grief.] Jam said the new client would carry this feature.
Good, we can finally clean up the mess with all the planned gates that shouldnt be there.

3. Adding NPC command of rename ship. We cant see ship name in Ship Management, so how is this useful?

3a. Adding command of "How many passenger quarters do you have?" or some such thing. This starts to help us debug the OSB hospital issue some. That would be good

3b. NPC eject command. This will be useful, dont have to put up temporary buy orders at SMs just to empty NPC ship anymore

4. Adding NPC command of "What is your route?" Yes! Currently not having this command annoys me often. Maybe I shouldnt have mentioned that, now RAM migth remove it from the list, just to keep annoying me :evil:

4a. Add a space in front of the "and" in the routing command. This way it will ignore words with "and" and only see the " and" to know to connect between two markets. Words with "land" or any word with "and" is bugging out the ability to build a route for the NPC. Lazy man regex.
You dont need to write the whole name of the colony, just enough letters so the search can be sure its not a different one. For example I recently buildt a OSB in MZ3 called "T2 and carbon trade", to send NPCs there I just write "T2_a" and search function can find it. Doesnt matter what part of the name you use. If you tell a npc to trade with "ammi" it understands you mean RAMmine. Just need to try different parts of the name sometimes when there are more colonies with similar names.
Would be easier if what you suggest was fixed ofc, so its a welcome improvement.
Maybe add a space after "and" as well, to avoid the problem if someone names their colony Andy.
While we wait the workaround works perfectly. If anyone struggle to set up a trade route feel free to PM me and Ill try to help. Only time I havent been able to set up a trade route is if the name in SM search is not the current name of the colony or if there are several colonies with identical name

5. Adding the script to the daily batch run that will clear renamed SM orders and/or SM that are out of space or credits. Just clearing those renamed SM dead orders would be a big help.
If possible could this go higher on the list, as higher priority? :)

5a. Adding the Stock Market Buy/Sell orders to the settlementcache, or a separate cache file. This will allow me to create a interface similar to the Dome Control Program to make SM much easier to use.
There is already made a tool for this, with GUI and drop downs to choose items. It also does the deleting of old orders. ill put in the link to it here, if I can find it again. Search function on this forum aint the best :(

6. OSB Hospital Bug. Yea, I know you have looked and can't find anything. One reason why I dropped it to the bottom.

7. Adding NPC Bribe feature that we could bribe inactive NPC to work for us. I figure this is really a pretty big addition, but since you worked so well at clearing out all these other issues, I know you are just bored and was looking for yet more to do.
Work for us? What would they do?
Maybe they could be told to smuggle, as the currently implemented smuggling is to time consuming for PCs

Along with this, I took it onto myself to present a whole new idea to Jam. I do believe this would be server side and make a big improvement. I will copy and paste what I sent Jam. You can scream at me in a separate thread, so we do not trash this thread up too much.

Now for my full out attack on gate supply.

My request: Allow NPC to supply gates.

I know your thoughts and reasons. Let me share how I think this has changed as the game has progressed.

Gates are monsters. It takes a good size crew to supply them, or a very few very dedicated players. I have watched many a player burn out from the grind of hauling. We already have to haul to the LM. We have to grind out asteroids for the materials to make the modules. We also have to grind away hours and hours mindlessly hauling iron. Early on, I could see the need to keep this a community focused feature. The challenge is that most who start playing now develop some of their own places and paths to go. There is really no unifying purpose for gates anymore. They mostly allow routes to shuttle materials so it is an easier grind to the LM to sell. Because we are in a universe of such abundance, there is not near the demand for trade as the production we can create. This creates a lot of abundances everywhere we are. These abundances have to be hauled to market, or ejected into space. So there is always the grind to market with what we build. Now that there is a well established gate system, there is little need to add more systems to the existing network. How boring is that? Come play and just add to the existing mess. Most all players want to name their own system and add a gate or two. If NPC could haul to gates, this would mean they could build their structure and focus on materials needed for modules, along with hauling the extra resources back to the LM.

One missed secret to allowing NPC to haul to gates is that they can only go to gated systems. So, the far side would still need to be supplied by players in ungated systems. This means NPC would really only supply 50% of the gate. Yes, they could set up some NPC in the ungated system to haul. This would require a massive production and structures to do. I think this brings in much more fun then the constant hauling to the gate, jumping back and forth. With Terraforming about to be completed with algae, we have even more massive projects coming on board that is much more fun. Let's stay focused on the fun stuff and let the NPC haul to gates. I really see no drawback at this time in the game. It also allows gates to be a bigger sink since most will set NPC to haul to a gate and actually finish it instead of give up because it is just too laborious.

I know you are wanting to keep people involved in gate building. I think that worked for a while, but I am not sure the same philosophy will work moving forward. I, too, want Ascent to flourish. I honestly think this would be a net gain to the game and player retention. Few people want to work hard these days. There is plenty in game that takes time and effort. Removing one grind will not make it too easy. It will increase player engagement with the entire game. It will allow some to dream bigger. We have 270 billion stars. Lots of room. Gates with exponential requirements will not get out of hand because of the modules will keep that in balance. I would much rather see 5 people mining to build modules then 10 hauling iron for days and days on end, get burned out, and leave.

I fully support this suggestion, I always thougth we would get this at some point, as I dont see any point of why we should sit and click back and forth like this. It certainly aint fun. Its the main reason I hate building gates, if NPCs didnt need gates I wouldnt buildt or helped build any of them.

Just wanted to keep everyone up to date and let you know that things are going on, although it does not always show that it is.

Jam is also planning on running the game on sale for a few days. This should increase players a bit. Keep your eyes out for new folk needing a little guidance.

Thank you very much for the update RAM, the future of the game seems so much brigther when we get a few updates once in a while. Well written and good suggestions RAM. Good job!
Callsign: Fraaggii or Loke
Senator Loke of Primo Spe, 8086, New Horizon, Skadi, Darkfield and Niu Heimar

Statistics for Nio and Tin prices: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3427
User

Loke

Rank

Lt Commander

Lt Commander

Re: Comments to RAMs update on development

Postby Loke » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:39 pm

Id like to suggest adding these 2 to the list:
    -Make GM sort based on price, like it was in old gui. Now it sorts on "Name", which makes it messy.
    -Add class or/and type of modul to GM search to make it easier to find the class module you are looking for, or range of classes

I know these are GUI changes and therefor difficult to get Jam to even look at, but I think they are important to make it easier for new players to find their way in this game. Hopefully only small change is needed.

no avatar
User

RAM

Rank

Captain

Captain

Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:36 am

Postby RAM » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:49 am

Loke wrote:We cant see ship name in Ship Management, so how is this useful?

This would allow us to fleet the ships and IF we can bribe the inactive NPC, then we can rename the ships. Not a real big deal, but I would like to rename the ship to what the route is, then ask the ship name to remind me. If we get the route command, it may not be as needed, but would still like to do it. Think of the banner ships at SS. They could be updated with better ads. 8-)

Loke wrote:Maybe I shouldnt have mentioned that, now RAM migth remove it from the list, just to keep annoying me

It is tempting, but I get to claim fame for it, so I doubt I will remove it ... presently. :lol:

Loke wrote:There is already made a tool for this, with GUI and drop downs to choose items.

Yep. I helped Bosh with it. The challenge is you still have to look up the buy.sell order ##. If the orders are added to the cache file, we could read those automatically and then that tool, or one similar would really be nice. I actually want to build a tool that you could have all your SM orders listed tabbed for each SM. This would allow you to know if you have your orders balanced well for NPC trading.

Loke wrote:Work for us? What would they do?
Maybe they could be told to smuggle, as the currently implemented smuggling is to time consuming for PCs

If they accepted our bribe, they would become our NPC, ship and all. There would have to be a 6 month delay and % per month or % per 1 million credits. This would mean that dead NPC could be reclaimed. If the NPC has orders, they care no inactive, or maybe if they no longer have SC and the NPC has no orders. If they are sitting at a SS doing nothing but being a banner of someone gone for 2 years (SCCI), we could bribe them to work for us, rename the ship, gain a worker, and clean up the relics. This helps to keep the game current.

Loke wrote:Thank you very much for the update RAM, the future of the game seems so much brigther when we get a few updates once in a while

This is what was supposed to happen with presidents and the UNCA. We have had trouble keeping active Presidents. All I am doing is what I was selected to do. Glad it is helping.
"The UNCA is not your boss!" ~ Jessica Steele
Fan Fiction from an old timer - RAM Memories
User

LadyHawk

Rank

Lt Commander

Lt Commander

Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:25 pm

Postby LadyHawk » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:34 pm

Nice work, Ram! :)

I agree...what a wonderful difference it makes to have information about updates and what the Dev is doing!
We are all grateful for your work as our President!!!
no avatar
User

RAM

Rank

Captain

Captain

Postby RAM » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:15 pm

LadyHawk wrote:We are all grateful for your work as our President!!!

Ban cheese slicers! Make Apollo Grate Again!!

It must be working!!
no avatar
User

RAM

Rank

Captain

Captain

Postby RAM » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:17 pm

Most of the NPC commands are on the test server. Bribe, not yet. He is open to it though.

The big news is there was a Unity Bug that was fixed that made MUCH less work on getting the new client ready. Jam is actively working on it! No promises, but he MIGHT be able to get the new engine and client out quickly. Would be great for the sale.

We will see and I will keep you all updated as best I can.

Once the new client is done, I will really start pressing for the SM fix.
User

davh62

Rank

Commodore

Commodore

Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:40 pm

UK

Postby davh62 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:08 pm

RAM wrote:Most of the NPC commands are on the test server. Bribe, not yet. He is open to it though.

The big news is there was a Unity Bug that was fixed that made MUCH less work on getting the new client ready. Jam is actively working on it! No promises, but he MIGHT be able to get the new engine and client out quickly. Would be great for the sale.

We will see and I will keep you all updated as best I can.

Once the new client is done, I will really start pressing for the SM fix.

Sweet!
I'm liking the idea of fleeting NPC's. But in maybe a different way. Anyone who has suffered the pain of command after command after command to send a bunch of ships on the same route will know what I'm meaning.
If we could create a "Fleet group" it would mean that one trade route command could be used to send them all at once. Thoughts please?
FG Fighters Guild Founder
Senator of Ferrite-Senator of Prime-Senator of Barons Rest- Hater of rams speaking date stamp
no avatar
User

RAM

Rank

Captain

Captain

Postby RAM » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:14 pm

davh62 wrote:Sweet!
I'm liking the idea of fleeting NPC's. But in maybe a different way. Anyone who has suffered the pain of command after command after command to send a bunch of ships on the same route will know what I'm meaning.
If we could create a "Fleet group" it would mean that one trade route command could be used to send them all at once. Thoughts please?

I think this would be doable without too much issue. I will wait till this latest group of things goes through, then add that to the list. I actually think it would be quite easy to do, but I may be missing something.

New NPC commands are already in the test server. If all goes well, that rolls out easily. Jam is very deep into the new engine to see if he can release a new client. He REALLY wants to do this. He WANTS Ascent to keep going strong. I am really excited about the past few days of development. 8-)
User

Loke

Rank

Lt Commander

Lt Commander

Postby Loke » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:41 pm

RAM wrote:Ban cheese slicers!

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

But everything else: yesyesyes! :D

no avatar
User

RAM

Rank

Captain

Captain

Postby RAM » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:53 pm

Jam just said there is a LOT of brokenness. It all depends on how easy each piece of brokenness is to fix.

<jam> I'm using the new effects stuff, the crashes are just plain gone
<jam> at the moment the dynamic clouds just aren't working for no apparent reason
<jam> and I still need to do a complete pass through the whole game
<jam> testing everything, all the quests etc
Next