New Player Experience (NPE) improvements

This is where you can suggest new features and discuss upcoming features.
no avatar
User

NeekReevers

Rank

Ensign

Ensign

Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:03 am

Re: New Player Experience (NPE) improvements

Postby NeekReevers » Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:42 pm

jam wrote:I noticed a few registration problems, maybe it's time I worked on that? It's a bit crappy.

Ok, I was perusing the forums and found this.. let me sum up some issues I had all in one place. I'll just quote myself for ease...

1) If you register for the forums, that registers you for the game and vice-versa. This is what I assumed would happen when I tried to sign in.
2) Make it blindlingly, bleedingly obvious what the registration process is. Perhaps it was made clear in the forums, or the wiki or what have you, but clearly not everyone sees the instructions before they login :)

by the way, I had to answer "What was the name of the first ship you flew" in order to register for the forums. Luckily, I watched a video and guessed "Ladybug". Otherwise I couldn't have registered without having played first. That seems counter-intuitive for a game trying to attract new players, don't you think? :)

Seriously, though, if you make it difficult for someone to participate in any aspect of the game, you increase the likelihood that they will just not go through the hassle. As my grandpa used to say, gotta hook 'em before you can cook 'em :)

So, these out of context quotes need some sort of binding agent to tie them all together. I very, very nearly didn't bother playing the game due to frustrations with the login/registration process. There are a bunch of seemingly disconnected steps that must be completed in the correct order, which isn't readily apparent to the casual passerby, to get registered for the game and forums. I stayed because I wanted to play that badly. Not everyone will. The best suggestions I can make are:

1) A very well documented registration process that registers new users for the game and forum simultaneously. This should be done at the home page. You can keep the confirmation email process. I see the value in reducing bots and it rids you of the "I have to google about or play the game before I can register properly" loop. I fully realize I haven't any idea how complicated this would be, but the registration process is (or, perhaps, should be) the very first thing a player will see. It should be uncomplicated and straightforward.

2) The registration gateway and/or process should be VERY prominent on the home page, since this is the first stop a new player would make. PLAY NOW and BUY NOW are quite easy to see, but not how to register. The "greenlight us" buttons are also prominent. The "Here is how you get started" button should not only be created, but for a game trying to attract players, should be blinking, neon, 50 foot high burning letters of fire.

3) The game client should be changed to have three buttons -
a) New User Registration - which launches a browser and takes you to the unified registration process/tutorial
b) login - same as now
c) load game - same as now

4) Putting the "buy premium time" under the options menu, even it if is only one click deep makes it less accessible. I, until today, NEVER once clicked the options button so I had the pleasure of looking like an idiot in chat (Thanks for the assist, Zyr). Make it easier for people to give you money. even if "easier" is only for the edge case (i.e. morons like me), you never want to turn a paying customer away. maybe add that to the list of buttons on the client screen? add a button to the homepage? You always want to make it as convenient as possible for someone to spend money.

I think that's all for now. I had another idea banging around in my noggin, but I lost it. I'll update if i think of it.

Respectfully,
Neek
no avatar
User

Wakaii

Rank

Space Cadet

Space Cadet

Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:57 am

Postby Wakaii » Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:39 am

jam wrote:While I work on stock markets and then the next big features on the list, as well as fixing/improving old ones, I want to alternate between those items and some improvements to the New Player Experience.

Particularly the first 5 minutes and then first hour or two of gameplay.

What do people get stuck on?

What stupid UI things give a negative impression?

What questions do every newbie ask that everyone's tired of answering?

I will also look into getting some voice acting etc for the combat quest line, and fix up the class 1-5 gameplay by rewarding modules for storyline missions rather than just credits and titles etc.

I just finished all the tutorials. The first 5 minutes were really fun learning the ships controls which seemed like a nice touch. The storyline is easy enough to follow for me, where I got stuck was how to make enough money to get to deep six, I had no idea what to do until to get the credits and was overwhelmed with it. How to make credits seemed what people were tired of answering.

I watched sinstrites video and mined up the credits to get the credits. Not sure if its valid or not but I also got frustrated by the spawn rates and trying to get to the ores to mine in time before someone else, tried trading between stations but never really got the credits up trading. Eventually got the credits then couldn't figure out how to buy a hyperdrive by checking the galactic market which made me think all the hypderdrives were out of the starter systems.

Chat helped me out to buy the hyper drive by telling me they were at space stations in apollo. Having to reload the ui after buying the hyperdrive to get to the space station was confusing, and also got confused by trying to fit the hyperdrive because I didn't know I had to click the ship.

I had a turtle all fitted up and jumped to jam 1, went to the wreck location, and got completely confused as to where the wreck was and went back to youtube to watch the guide. I just think it would be helpful to have a popup that you have to burn to the salvage pieces.

As to the combat mission I like industry more (other then what ore to mine for profit the industry tutorial was cool), I felt it was really difficult to try and take the drone down because (Disclaimer: I've never been much of a twitch gamer) it was really hard to get to the hitboxes. It took longer then I expected.

That being said like the game.
User

battlepopit

Rank

2nd Lieutenant

2nd Lieutenant

Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:53 am

Postby battlepopit » Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:33 am

Hi folks. new to (this) game. 15-20 yr veteran of mmos and even muds before that. Just started couple of days ago. Wanted to give first impressions (while they are first impressions)
I just dove in without reading wiki and watching hundreds of of You Tube videos. Starting to do some of that now, because game is not totally self explained.
Day 1- got a feel for it. got a farm and did nothing with it. saw that it took a lot of resources and I wanted a bigger ship first. Grind, grind grind-- got bigger capacity ship. Ship capacity seems crucial to success. Got a falcon- brig class- 160 capacity. started working towards hyperdrive. Class 1 is almost 2 mil so just figured I would grind harder as I would probably need a class 10 to match the ship I would have by the time I got it.
Day 2 -- built the starbase - going to get it running soon. since it needs tons of supplies figured I need a bigger ship, to carry more.
Day 3 now- looked around. saw that every system within any possible flying distance with a max ship and HD is already named. Might want to make some rules concerning this as this is a selling point. You don't want 40k systems named Robert# and another 8-10 guys/gals with 40k systems named for them. Yes I know that there are 70B systems BUT they are impossible to get to, atm. You might want to address that soon as it will only get worse.
Maybe have the system name able to be changed by the person that has the most development in the system. Or the first to build a big colony or starbase. Give the famous explorer a small statue on the prime planet or something. If a person becomes inactive then the names are changed back to a generic one.
Overall- love the game. Truly epic possibilities here.
The grind. I am used to it as I have played lots of mmos. Does not mean that I like it.
maybe have transporter drones that you can buy/build that can transport things between your holdings- colonies and Star bases. prime feature of course.
I like having it possible for a free player to be able to do ANYTHING that a paying member can, but the paying member can just do it easier, with less hassle, grind. etc. BTW I am a paying member. I do believe in paying to enjoy someone else's vision and hard work.
Eye and Ear candy. -- I really do not need it but it is a big draw for the beginning player. First impressions remember. maybe make the various boards a pub (yes with aliens) that acts more like a storeowners. Can be accessed by vid screen from ship or from an EVA in person. (insert imagination here)
Aliens are cool if you can do it. Maybe even whole worlds of them that will not interact with you much till you make friends some way. Maybe great rewards to be had or if you irritate too much they issue a kill on sight order.
I like the idea of Pirate and Alien controlled territories where rewards are great if you are willing to take the risk of PVE/PVP. There should be some risk! Maybe they take your ship and dump your half dead body back on an inner planet to get you another one. Issue a warning for those entering the dangerous areas. I am not personally into that but it is a big draw, and I do want the game to succeed.
Back to the grind. Second impressions soon maybe. See you ingame. Battle Popit
no avatar
User

domderek

Rank

Lt Commander

Lt Commander

Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:46 am

Postby domderek » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:17 am

FYI, there are many, many systems that are unexplored well withing reach of the larger ships. I could easily hop into one and find complete sectors that are empty about a tenth of my max distance. A seraph can hold 20k ish hydrogen meaning a max jump is well over 1000 light years. Don't worry about space filling up.

My thoughts on the grind: This game is as grindy as you want it to be. If you want a seraph in a week, yeah its gonna be a grind. If you spend your time exploring, planning colonies, enjoying chat, playing the meta game, etc. it has very little grinding. Maybe you have a tough grind for some parts, but there is always something you could do instead.
Domderek
Chairman of the M.I.N.E.R.S. Guild Council

M.I.N.E.R.S Guild
User

battlepopit

Rank

2nd Lieutenant

2nd Lieutenant

Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:53 am

Postby battlepopit » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:40 am

glad you replied Dom. that is info that is not very obvious from a noobie view. i intentionally did not watch videos or get info before playing the game. i wanted first impressions. i am now watching all of them and reading the forums. Some of the info is great. keep up the good work on those videos and guides. A lot of the info needed is not very intuitive yet (takes time for that) . Sinstrite, Waervyn's World, and Iepcast are notable standouts in the youtube world. helped alot.
I am a heavy grinder because of my extensive training by other mmo's. In this game i may need to slow down and smell the space roses. :-). After 12 yrs+ of RS that may be hard to do.
I can already see that i will probably be in this game for a long time. Some great subscription packages--auto bank draft of course would be nice if you don't already have them. Hint Hint MR Hicks.
Don't worry human. If we are ever stranded on a ship together in space, I will keep you alive as long as possible. I would consider it good food preservation.
User

rmartz

Rank

Rear Admiral

Rear Admiral

Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:37 pm

Postby rmartz » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:42 pm

battlepopit wrote:glad you replied Dom. that is info that is not very obvious from a noobie view. i intentionally did not watch videos or get info before playing the game. i wanted first impressions. i am now watching all of them and reading the forums. Some of the info is great. keep up the good work on those videos and guides. A lot of the info needed is not very intuitive yet (takes time for that) . Sinstrite, Waervyn's World, and Iepcast are notable standouts in the youtube world. helped alot.
I am a heavy grinder because of my extensive training by other mmo's. In this game i may need to slow down and smell the space roses. :-). After 12 yrs+ of RS that may be hard to do.
I can already see that i will probably be in this game for a long time. Some great subscription packages--auto bank draft of course would be nice if you don't already have them. Hint Hint MR Hicks.

The storyline is that so much has been lost. Part of the task for us has been to rebuild the knowledge base, not for that knowledge to be handed to us, but for us ti figure it out. We manage and update the wiki because that is OUR knowledge base that WE have rebuilt. Not what has been given to us, but what we have figured out. We get clues and hints as needed, but so much of the later game fun is figuring out the new features. Jam is not great with documentation, so it plays into the storyline well. It also takes time to do that and we would rather our sole developer stay on bug fixes and new content then on spelling out every step.

One mistake many who come in make is to think this is like other games. It is very unique. The premise that civilization has collapsed is not, but the openness of play allows US to recreate civilization. We are in the process of doing that. The game has finally progressed to the point that new players are actually playing in and on the storyline of existing players. Many players, unknowingly, have benefited by the structures I have in place and some I helped create, such as gates. Not trying to say I am the only one, just speaking from my perspective.

I used to wonder why there was not a better walkthrough. Why a little pop up did not show up the first time you refitted your ship to say, "Now click the silly ship to actually install the selected module." I see it a little differently now. It, whether by design or default, forces community.

Asking where those mining robots are is the first step into the biggest dynamic of the game. The Community. US. So WELCOME! and feel free to lean on US a little. We know it is needed and it starts to build connections you will use the entire time you play.
Ingame accounts: RAM, rmartz
Check out RAM Memories.
Visit AscentExtras.com for player built game tools, guilds, and links to game related data.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
User

Baroque

Rank

Midshipman

Midshipman

Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:00 pm

Postby Baroque » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:59 pm

rmartz wrote:... I see it a little differently now. It, whether by design or default, forces community.

Asking where those mining robots are is the first step into the biggest dynamic of the game. The Community. US. So WELCOME! and feel free to lean on US a little. We know it is needed and it starts to build connections you will use the entire time you play.

Beautifully said!!!! Insightful words that were realized after much toil and trouble.
no avatar
User

Albozz

Rank

2nd Lieutenant

2nd Lieutenant

Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:48 pm

Earth

Postby Albozz » Sat May 30, 2015 7:05 pm

One thing that gets me is the BP info when you click to place a building and the BP info pop's up right where i'm looking, so i have to move ship hehe. Small but annoying placement of info's, around the edge of screen would be cool ans also maybe not a block black back-grounded box :)

Adding:

And the screen while in combat mode, the rest of the screen needs to be disabled :)
no avatar
User

Bulldog

Rank

Space Cadet

Space Cadet

Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:49 pm

Postby Bulldog » Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:24 am

1. Ejecting: For new players the ejecting cargo thing always comes up in chat within a day of play and is not easy to tell them how to eject. Therefore add small buttons next to the inventory manifest in the top right with the letter EJ, or Eject on them so that all they have to do is click them to eject, maybe with a confirmation just like the galactic market has when you place something up for sale.

2. Movement: Alot of players come here from most every other Space Sim out there, and most all (actually I've never played one that didn't) have 6 degrees of freedom on every ship. I can't see a good reason to not allow all degrees of movement on every ship. All other games use this system because it works and makes flying enjoyable. I can see no good reason to not include it or re-invent the wheel.

3. Comms panel gets focus so that other keys in the main interface are now useless until the main interface regains focus over the chat window. This should made made so that to enter chat you simply press enter, then when the line of text is done, enter again to submit and the main interface now has focus again.

I'm sure I have ten or more to add but I can't think of the as of yet.......

Tad
User

Vargas

Rank

Lt Commander

Lt Commander

Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:40 pm

Postby Vargas » Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:19 am

Bulldog wrote:1. Ejecting: For new players the ejecting cargo thing always comes up in chat within a day of play and is not easy to tell them how to eject. Therefore add small buttons next to the inventory manifest in the top right with the letter EJ, or Eject on them so that all they have to do is click them to eject, maybe with a confirmation just like the galactic market has when you place something up for sale.

3. Comms panel gets focus so that other keys in the main interface are now useless until the main interface regains focus over the chat window. This should made made so that to enter chat you simply press enter, then when the line of text is done, enter again to submit and the main interface now has focus again.

For your first point I agree that adding an eject button would certainly be easier but it shouldn't be hard to explain to new players how ejecting works.
Give new players the command they need e.g: ch eject 500 Silicon and explain to them what it does.
ch stands for Cargo Hold, eject is the action you want to happen, [number] is the amount of material that's being ejected, [material] is the type of material being ejected.
If you can get them through that then it would be worth explaining to them the command can be simplified with the alias function.

I also agree with your third point about the comms getting in the way. I would also like to add to this by saying that bringing up the ship computer doesn't automatically allow players to type into the text box.
The Peoples New Eden Alliance. We learnt from history.
PreviousNext