New Player Experience (NPE) improvements

This is where you can suggest new features and discuss upcoming features.
User

rmartz

Rank

Rear Admiral

Rear Admiral

Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:37 pm

Re: New Player Experience (NPE) improvements

Postby rmartz » Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:46 pm

Eject button will not come until a UI upgrade. Nothing soon.

Focus when you open a window has been looked at and talked about and will most likely not happen until a UI upgrade.

I like the idea of Enter taking you to the chat input line. Not sure if that would be easy coding with the challenge of getting focus in a newly opened window.

I have often wished for enter being accepted as input to the lines we enter in, like warehouses and login. It would be much nicer to be able to enter the amount you wanted to transfer and hit enter instead of having to grab the mouse again and find the load amount button or some such. I suspect that will also have to wait for a UI rebuild.
Ingame accounts: RAM, rmartz
Check out RAM Memories.
Visit AscentExtras.com for player built game tools, guilds, and links to game related data.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
no avatar
User

Sefarian

Rank

Space Cadet

Space Cadet

Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:26 pm

Postby Sefarian » Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:37 pm

The biggest thing that threw me for a loop, during the tutorial, was the radar. The set up is kind of awkward and the symbols in it are way, way, way too small and indistinct. In the very least, a section specifically related to reading the radar and how it works would be appreciated.
User

GinGurGurl

Rank

Ensign

Ensign

Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:40 am

Postby GinGurGurl » Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:03 pm

About the catching those new players that are just walkin's PM method rather then General Chats help. I had a player i recognized from another game. He did not use our ts and did not know much about the Chat system so we could not contact him directly to help with with was we later found out was a very frustrated near rage quit due to lack of instruction. PM ability could help players talk one on one till they can make a channel.

Also some frustration for newer members much like in the combat not matching the intro is the settlements and ISB being SO VASTLY different from the "real player bases" I know there are complications in making the Colonies and OSBs the same layout as the ISB and Settlements but why not make the other way around. Make the "learning curve a little less riddled with land minds rather then teaching one thing and then "testing them" on something different. After we learn on the "free" planets and then use SC and have no idea what we are doing due to all the differences. I spend more time in the Youtube and forums along with help then playing in these situations and while I am rater open minded with this most new players will not always say "Well it is new" for long.

These will take time, one should not HAVE to read forums or watch how to vids to play on a casual level. While I strive to best my own skill many just want fun not homework. Happy to say most of my gaming fleet is in now, and we are able to direct them through the dicey areas. So while will keep asking questions personally it means we are still here and playing... :P
B.L.A.D.E.S. Fleet Executive Officer

Be good, Or be good AT IT.
And name it after me.
no avatar
User

markuk98

Rank

Space Cadet

Space Cadet

Thu May 12, 2016 7:48 am

Postby markuk98 » Thu May 12, 2016 12:58 pm

Hi,

I have been playing the game for nearly 1 week now. I have 8 million in the bank and 4 ships. I have started my space station and things are going well.

My first impressions of the game were 'ehmmm not sure I will stick with this..."

Problems - Navigating the gates - I built a sat nav in excel to help me. just need to be able to set destination on a star and the computer guide me through the gates.
- the map is slow and difficult to view. - needs improving not sure how.
- I didn't get very far through the story line which is a shame because I like them bits normally. Clearer instruction is required and more guidance. I would be happy to play them again and make some notes but it was take this to there. take that to there 3 times. Needs more variety and drama and leading between the mini stories.
I am at 'take this note to deep 6' which I have no idea how to find and have no interest in finding because my attention hasn't been grabbed. Maybe she could hire you and a bit more of a back story? set the scene a little? not sure. Like stories, can't write them.
- the military missions were very buggy. the ai ship just kept ramming me and in the end my side turret destroyed it. The shots I was landing on the target only seamed to count if I hit in the middle of the target.

Graphical point. I get a lot of flashing screens when jumping. very bright when playing in a dim room. would be great to be able to turn these off or stop the glitch if it is one.

Love the idea of the game. Asteroid mining and gas scooping is amazing. Great work with the skill factor and laser colour! spot on!
Love the idea of planets and stations. Needs some work on navigating to them. just been able to put them in a favorite list would work then when I am running backwards and forwards with iron or carbon I can keep jumping back to the same place.

I have picked up that there isn't much interaction between players... Its a bit like World of Warcraft. You can play it all day every day without having to talk to anyone. So I would like to see dungeon style activities where a 'corporation', 'Clan' , 'faction' or 'group' of people can get together and work through a episode with a rare reward at the end. Account binded gear?

I used to love soloing the lower end stuff by myself.

Some sort of mechanism is needed to bring players together. Don't make it so you need to be in a group but that group things are available and will enhance the game. Maybe even AI controlled corporations that give you access to special account binded gear?

I would also like to see different races too, that would give you scope to develop the game in the future, a war between the two would see star gate block aided and an increase in black market goods. people smuggling and espionage.

Although I like the idea of been able to fly through space and never be attacked and no risk of ever loosing anything I think it takes some of the excitement away. In eve I would do a trade run with my entire saving across many jumps. I got my friends to help and it was scary and exciting and fun. So how about the ability to turn the difficulty up here is how I think it could work.

difficulty 0 - No worries. Reduced rewards from missions.
difficultly 1 - You can get destroyed but you only loose your cargo. Standard rewards.
difficulty 2 - You can get destroyed, you loose your ship and its cargo. enhanced rewards.

Also a tax on income / expenditure would apply. That would work like this. Standard Tax is 20% of everything. Every % of game play played at 0 would increase the tax and 2 would reduce it. So if you played the entire game at 0 your tax would be 35%, play it at 2 your tax 5%. Hope that makes sense.

There may be need for a cool down between changing difficulty.

Hope someone reads this. Hope it helps.
User

rmartz

Rank

Rear Admiral

Rear Admiral

Postby rmartz » Thu May 12, 2016 3:32 pm

markuk98 wrote:Problems - Navigating the gates - I built a sat nav in excel to help me. just need to be able to set destination on a star and the computer guide me through the gates.
- the map is slow and difficult to view. - needs improving not sure how.
- I didn't get very far through the story line which is a shame because I like them bits normally. Clearer instruction is required and more guidance. I would be happy to play them again and make some notes but it was take this to there. take that to there 3 times. Needs more variety and drama and leading between the mini stories.

Welcome and I hope you are enjoying the game.

We have a wiki and in game help to assist with these first steps.

http://wiki.TheSpaceGame.com

In game help and wiki has a walkthrough for the early quests. Wiki has a nav map to help you figure out how to get where through the gates.

Also the help chat is available to help walk people through differing issues. Most there are readily helpful and can guide you through the bumps.

The ethos of the game is that with the collapse, we must rebuild civilization. This includes knowledge. This is one reason why there is not a lot of info at first, but the game allows us, as citizen pilots, to rebuild that knowledge. This is the wiki and actually the in game help also. Players supply all the information for both.

Hope it helps you a little and please do not feel uncomfortable asking for help in game. We all need it from time to time and it helps to bind us together as a community. We really do need each other.

Peace and safe flying!
Check out RAM Memories.
Visit AscentExtras.com for player built game tools, guilds, and links to game related data.
User

davh62

Rank

Commodore

Commodore

Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:40 pm

UK

Postby davh62 » Thu May 12, 2016 4:40 pm

You mentioned then "T" word!

NO TAX! EVER!

Did I mention I come here to avoid paying tax in the real world :lol:

Realism is good up to a point but remember we come here to escape the hum drum of real life
FG Fighters Guild Founder
Senator of Ferrite-Senator of Prime-Senator of Barons Rest- Hater of rams speaking date stamp
User

raw1990

Rank

Lieutenant

Lieutenant

Thu May 05, 2016 12:19 pm

Germany

Postby raw1990 » Sat May 14, 2016 3:04 pm

davh62 wrote:You mentioned then "T" word!

NO TAX! EVER!

Did I mention I come here to avoid paying tax in the real world :lol:

Realism is good up to a point but remember we come here to escape the hum drum of real life

I agree... adding those features and also risk related difficulties will stop Ascent from being unique & relaxing and will bring it closer to being just like "the other games"... EVE ehm.. ehm...
I understand that a risk feeling pulls a lot of people but I believe its against Ascents philosophy (at least I hope it is).
Life is indeed hard & demanding enough to play very demanding games ;). The beauty of Ascent is that everybody can move forward at his own pace... Lets keep it that way!
no avatar
User

ElectricViper

Rank

Space Cadet

Space Cadet

Fri May 20, 2016 5:41 am

Postby ElectricViper » Sat May 21, 2016 8:17 am

Here are some of my opening thoughts. The game seems to have an initially steep learning curve UNLESS you read all of the help manuals, wikis and forums. I first attempted to complete most of the opening story line quests without looking in the help or wiki. I was completely lost and stuck with some of the Susan Steele missions. Once I finally broke down read all of the material it became more like someone just explaining every step of the way instead of just getting some initial help so I could figure out the rest on my own. I have to admit, without the help and wiki, I would have never been able to figure out how to get to SS Deep Six.

With that out of the way, I would like to share some thoughts that I have had. Hopefully these are not already reported in the forums. I will do some additional searching later so I can become more familiar with the forums.

When purchasing a ship. I would be fantastic if the information for the ship that I am looking at would stay up on the screen. As it sits right now, if I don't read all of the information quick enough, I will have to cycle through all of the ships just to try and finish reading all of the base stats of the ship. Such as, price, weight, cargo capacity and passenger capacity.

Also, when purchasing a ship it would be ready advantageous if there was a "Previous" to compliment the "Next" button. This way everyone could cycle to the next ship and back to the previous ship to get the ship base stats to show up again.

Finally, if there was some sort of targeting system available to help us with being able to quickly scan down the asteroids that we are after, I know that I for one, would be very grateful. If the same targeting system could also be applied to wrecks for salvaging, I know that I would invest more time in doing so. This would, in my opinion, alleviate some of my initial constraints that I encountered.

That is all that I have for now. Just the humble ramblings of an old man.
Sincerely,

ElectricViper
User

rmartz

Rank

Rear Admiral

Rear Admiral

Postby rmartz » Sat May 21, 2016 2:09 pm

ElectricViper wrote:Here are some of my opening thoughts. The game seems to have an initially steep learning curve UNLESS you read all of the help manuals, wikis and forums. I first attempted to complete most of the opening story line quests without looking in the help or wiki. I was completely lost and stuck with some of the Susan Steele missions. Once I finally broke down read all of the material it became more like someone just explaining every step of the way instead of just getting some initial help so I could figure out the rest on my own. I have to admit, without the help and wiki, I would have never been able to figure out how to get to SS Deep Six.

The storyline is that we have lost a lot of data and information. The wiki/help is the players working at rebuilding it, but you are not the only one asking for help through those early quests. They are mostly there to help get the new player familiar with the game, but even to navigate easily, jumping to the wiki is a great help. The in game Map is there and can be used, but does not show which SS is in which system.

I actually think this is a good point.

ElectricViper wrote:When purchasing a ship. I would be fantastic if the information for the ship that I am looking at would stay up on the screen. As it sits right now, if I don't read all of the information quick enough, I will have to cycle through all of the ships just to try and finish reading all of the base stats of the ship. Such as, price, weight, cargo capacity and passenger capacity.

The reality is that any ship purchased at the Shipyards, there is really only one thing that matters. Cargo size. I guess we all just focus on that and the rest is just reference.

ElectricViper wrote:Finally, if there was some sort of targeting system available to help us with being able to quickly scan down the asteroids that we are after, I know that I for one, would be very grateful. If the same targeting system could also be applied to wrecks for salvaging, I know that I would invest more time in doing so. This would, in my opinion, alleviate some of my initial constraints that I encountered.

I have been thinking about this too. WE can use tab to cycle through enemy ships in combat. It would be nice to use it to cycle through the next closest asteroid or salvage item. There would have to be a range limit to this. but I would love to be able to tab to the next closest asteroid. Some have suggested it, but not for a while. I love the idea and think it would really help game play.

Glad to have you along and keep the input coming. It does help.
Check out RAM Memories.
User

Kambalo

Rank

Lt Commander

Lt Commander

Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:59 pm

Postby Kambalo » Sun May 22, 2016 5:37 pm

In my modest opinion, I would like to see more quests related to the departure from Earth, new lines of developments for the cultures that have moved into this new area, I would like to see each main planet from the 9 interior planets developed into different races or economic corporations.
Seek and ye shall find.
The Master
Previous